Language Buddies

In Time with You

 

 

Luhan's POV~

It was another one of those days that I had to go to school right after filming a CF. This time it was a commercial for Kans cosmetics. At least I was just promoting an organic facial mask and not some makeup product that would further taint the manly image that I'm trying so hard to build. But getting up at 5am was not easy, especially right after binge watching the anime Attack on Titan last night, but what can I say? It's too awesome of a show not to get hooked.

"Luhan!" I hear a male voice shout behind me, while I was walking to the Beijing University campus. I turn around to see Jun Kai with his hands on his knees, panting from running.

"Shhhh!" I say through the face mask that was covering my mouth. I look around to make sure there weren't any fangirls. "Dude, you're going to ruin my cover. You don't want a repeat of what happened last time to happen do you?"  

"And run into one of those disgusting public bathrooms and hide in there for hours until the fangirls leave? Over my dead body." Jun Kai responds, shivering over the thought of having to do that again.

"Then stop shouting my name out loud" Luhan says, laughing a little. Jun Kai was another student at Beijing University who lives next door to me in one of the richer neighborhoods in Haidian. We became friends a year after I came back from Korea and started to attend the university. It's funny, because we met while I was running away from a crowd of fangirls chasing me right as I was walking home. 

"I'm not even a celebrity, but ever since your fans found out I was your friend, I haven't been able to go anywhere without those girls asking me questions about you. I think I have my own fan base now." Jun Kai shakes his head. "One time, a girl tried to get me to go out with her just so she could get closer to you. Your lucky I was smart and figured it out."

Luhan laughs. "Yes, you are quite the genius. But I've got to hand it to you, thanks for dealing with all of this because of me."

"Hey, it's nothing really." Jun Kai says, trying to be modest.

Sometimes Jun Kai really reminds me of Yi Xing. Maybe that's why we got along and became friends so quickly. When I'm with Jun Kai, I'm happy but at the same time, I miss my old buddy.

"So, have you seen that girl lately?" Jun Kai asks suddenly. 

"Which girl?" I ask, trying to think of who Jun Kai could possible mean.

"Tsk, the girl who you waved at the other day. Who else would I be referring to?" Jun Kai says.

"Oh, you mean the one from America, Xiu Yan?" I say, surprised that he would bring her up in the conversation. 

"Yeah, have you made a move on her yet?" He nudges me a little.

"Ha, what are you talking about? I've met her once, and I don't really see it going anywhere." I reply. 

"How would you know if you haven't even tried." Jun Kai says. "It's rare finding a girl who isn't a crazy fan of you. Plus, you must feel something. You never just wave at people."

"What? When did I wave at her?" I ask, trying to remember. 

"Oh geez, I don't know if you're acting like you don't remember or you really have a memory loss issue." Jun Kai sighs. "Remember, the day we got out of our marketing class? You waved at her smiling your signature smile and then talked about her for like 15 minutes while we were walking to lunch."

"I was just pleasantly surprised that I met a girl who wasn't a fan and from America, ok?" I say. 

"Well, I'm just laying out the options for you." He says with a shrug. "You were the one who was complaining about not being able to fulfill your parents' wishes of seeing their grandchildren."

I start to laugh. So that's what Jun Kai was thinking about the whole time? "It's not that easy. They'll just have to wait." I reply. 


 

"Ok, today I'll be putting you all into groups to work on the semester long project." Professor Wang announces. 

Oh great. Group projects. I've despised these things since high school. Please let me and Jun Kai be in the same group...please

"Group 4 will consist of Luhan, Jue Xin, and Jun Kai" Professor Wang reads off from the list.

Aw yeah, lucked out again. I turn around to look and see who this Jue Xin is. Her name sounds really familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it. 

"So your project will be to make an advertisement commercial, using all the elements of marketing that we will be doing throughout the semester." Professor Wang continues to list off all of the project requirements. 

"Well I guess we can start off with introductions" Jun Kai says as the three of us gather to discuss the project. 

"Umm, I'm Luhan. First year Master's student." I say a little awkwardly. I notice that Jue Xin is just staring at me.

"Yeah, I think everyone knows that" Jue Xin says smiling. "Anyways, I'm Jue Xin. Freshman. Undergrad, business major."

"Jun Kai. Junior. Math major." Jun Kai says casually. 

"So, since we have Luhan here, you can be the star of our ad." Jue Xin says. 

 

....

After class, I decide to do what I always do. The thing I can't live without. Play soccer. As I walk out to the soccer field, I notice Soo Jung, trying to start a fight with another girl. I can't tell who she is from the back, but knowing Soo Jung, she's probably bully another fan of mine. Soo Jung is a Korean EXO fan who followed me all the way from Korea just to chase after me. After I left EXO, she became an "Only Luhan" fan, and even studied really hard to get into Beijing University. I'm grateful for how much effort she's willing to put into being a fan, but I just really wish she would stop taking it so far as to bully any girl who tries to get close to me. Normally, I wouldn't get this close to a fan, but Soo Jung had been causing too much trouble trying to get my attention since she came over to Korea. I take a deep breath and walk over to stop her from fighting with the other girl. I as get closer, I notice that the girl is Xiu Yan. 

"Soo Jung ah, what are you up to again?" I say in Korean. Just as I say that, both her and Xiu Yan turn to look at me. 

"Oh, Oppa!" Soo Jung squeals and runs over to link arms with me. I try to break myself free of her grasp, but she won't let go. 

"Soo Jung, can you be a little nicer to the students here?" I ask, again in Korean.

"It wasn't even me. This girl was going around telling all the fans that she was your girlfriend just because you talked to her once. I was just trying to protect your reputation." Soo Jung whines in Korean so that Xiu Yan can't understand. 

That doesn't seem like something Xiu Yan would do. Soo Jung and her lies agian. This isn't the first time she's done this. "Soo Jung, that's something we both know that you do." I reply. "Can you just leave her alone? She's not even a fan of mine."

"Oppa! Everyone knows you're mine" She whines again. "If she's not even your fan, why are paying attention to her?"

"Ummmm, because....I'm teaching her Chinese and she's teaching me English in return!" I make up on the spot. Why in the world did I say that? Shoot, I totally panicked.  

"What?!!? That means your spending a lot of time with her?" Soo Jung says getting a little more worked up. 

"It's part of my job ok? I have to learn English, and she's one of the only non-fans available. Don't worry, we're nothing more than language buddies." I reassure Soo Jung. "And by the way, don't you have class soon?"

"Omo! Yeah I do! Otteoke! I'm going to be late!" Soo Jung runs off in a hurry. 

"And remember, no more picking fights or I'm not going to talk to you anymore!" I shout as she runs off.

I turn back to Xiu Yan who is just rubbing her arm and looking the other direction. I smile and walk up to her. 

"Are you ok? I feel like that's always the first thing I say to you." I ask. 

She nodds. "I'm fine. Thanks for, umm, helping me out."

"No, it's my fault in the first place." I say. "But ummm, I kind of told her that we were language buddies." I add, scratching my head. "Sorry, I panicked and couldn't think of a better explanation."

Xiu Yan laughs. "That's ok. I can't complain about having a tutor for Chinese. In fact, that would help a lot." She says. "And of course in exchange, I can certainly teach you English."

I smile, not even realizing that I was staring at her the whole time. "Really? That's great!" I say, then I notice that I probably got overly excited because Xiu Yan is now looking at me trying to hold in her laugh. 

"I'm free in the evenings" She says, bitting her lip. I can tell she's a little nervous now. 

"Works for me." I reply. "We can meet at the library at 6:00pm"

She nodds. 

"Great! I'll see you tonight then!" I say, before running off to the soccer field.