Back to China

In Time with You

 

 

Your POV~

 

“Wait, you guys want me to go to China for a year?” You ask, almost choking on the water you were drinking.

It was a quite uneventful evening, and you were enjoying a perfectly normal dinner with you’re parents, when your dad brings up the idea of sending you to China for a year. You had just graduated from college not too long ago, and started working as a software engineer intern at Google. Your dad was one of the people in charge, one of the “higher ups” in the company, as your fellow employees liked to put it.

“I think it’ll be good for you experience-wise, and frankly your Chinese could use a little brushing up.” Your dad says. He continues to eat casually, not really considering how shocked you were by his mention of sending you back to a country you left when you were 3 years old and had never even gone to visit since then.  

Not really understanding why your dad would want to send you away, you begin to beg. “Dad, if I’m not doing a good job at the company, I can work harder. Really, just give me another chance, please.” You look at him, hoping he’ll let you stay.

Looking up from his bowl of rice, your dad begins to laugh. You look at him confused.

Your mom begins to laugh too. “Xiu Yan, dear, we’re not punishing you.”

“Yeah, we’re just providing you with more opportunities to succeed. China is rising amongst the most powerful countries in the world, which in turn, means that their companies are expanding in market value.” Your dad explains. “You are already fluent in English and Chinese. Why not take advantage of that? I have connections with the CEO of Baidu, and they are willing to let you intern there for a year.”

“Intern at Baidu for a year….?” You begin to think. That doesn’t sound too bad, I mean, Baidu is basically the Google of China. It can’t be that bad, plus, visiting China actually sounds like it would be a lot of fun. “Ok, I’ll think about it”. You finally reply.

“Great!” Your dad says, and I’ve signed you up for Chinese classes at Beijing University.

You almost choke on your water for a second time. “What?!?” You exclaim. Did he just say Beijing University? Aka, China’s Harvard!?!

“A few extra Chinese lessons won’t hurt” He says, taking a drink of his own water.

“But at Beijing University?” You say with your eyes wide.

“Beijing University is in Haidian district, the same location as Baidu’s headquarters. You didn’t want to travel far to attend classes and intern, now did you?” Your dad asks rhetorically.

You shake your head, still a little stunned, but thinking he does have a point.

“Oh, you’re going to have so much fun.” Your mom smiles happily. “I think your cousin goes there too. Now what was she studying again?” Your mom begins to think, and then she snaps her fingers when she finally remembers. “Oh that’s right! Marketing and Finance! She's a business major.”

“It’s settled then, you can go to China in the fall when the school semester starts” Your dad says, finally finished with eating. “There’s a few weeks of summer left, you can wrap up your work at the company and prepare for the new journey ahead of you.”

 

 


 

 

The summer was coming to an end, and the date you were going to leave for China was closing in.

“I can’t believe your actually going” Your friend Minyi says while sitting on your bed watching you pack. “You can barely read and write Chinese characters.”

“I know, hence the classes at Beijing University” You reply with a hint of sarcasm.

“Maybe they’ll be cute guys there.” Minyi says teasingly.

“Oh, please, they’re probably all a bunch of nerds in glasses.” You reply, imaging a bunch of Chinese guys just studying all day. “I swear, I’m going to be single for the rest of my life.”

“Hey, you never know. You’ve always been more into Asian guys anyways. And it's really surprising a pretty girl like you is still single. It kind of blows my mind.” Minyi says, while lying back on your bed with a loud sigh. “But then again, you’re the pickiest person I know.”

You laugh at her last comment. “I’m not picky. I just want to find the right guy.”

“He’ll show up….and he’s probably at Beijing University right now” She says playfully.

You roll your eyes. “I’m not going there to find a boyfriend anyways. I don’t even have time for that.” You continue to fold your clothes and neatly stack them in your suitcase.

“That’s what they all say, before they fall in love.” She laughs.

 


 

 

It was finally the day of your flight and your parents were saying goodbye to you at the airport.

“Call us right when the plane lands” Your mom says giving you a hug. “Your uncle and your cousin will pick you up at the Beijing airport. They’ll be holding a big sign with your name written on it.” You mom continues to list off a bunch of things that you already know.

“Ok, ok. Mom, I’ll be fine” You reassure her. Since this was your first time traveling across the world by yourself, you understood why your mom would be so worried. But you had to remind her that you were an adult now, and that she didn’t have to be so worried.

“Work hard and have a good time” Your dad says patting you on the back.  

You wave good-bye to your parents as you board the plane. You were finally going back to a country that you had left 20 years ago. Uncertain of what surprises you would find there, you take a deep breath as you prepare for the 15 hour plane ride across the Pacific Ocean.