Morning News - Opening of Arc 1

Life Blood

A/N: The werewolves in this AU come in two "genres": Carriers, who can get pregnant, and Non-carriers, who can't. This is regardless of gender. All pairings are between one of each. For example, Junsu is a Carrier, while Yoochun is Non-carrier. All Omegas are Carriers, but not all Carriers are Omegas.


Star Clan's Alpha Kim Jaejoong woke up when the sun hit his eyes. Scratching his shoulder, he sat up and sniffed, as he tried to adjust his eyes to the brightness of the room. A sweet, musky scent hung in the air. Faint, but ever present. Someone's in heat already? he thought, wondering for a second which of his pack members it was as he got up and went down to the kitchen, where Donghae was setting the breakfast table. Donghae greeted his Alpha, who nodded in return.

"Heads up, Sehunnie just went into heat this morning, and it is not pretty. He and Kibum are busy glaring at each other in the living room."

"Why?"

"Dunno. Something about a toothbrush."

Jaejoong rolled his eyes and sat down. He gratefully accepted the plate Donghae put in front of him. Kids, stop fighting and come eat breakfast, he sighed mentally through the pack bond.

Only if Sehun apologises first! Kibum gruffed back.

Will not! It was my turn to get the red toothbrush and you know it!

Both of you! In here, NOW!

Alpha's direct command can not be disobeyed. The two younger men soon shuffled into the kitchen, butting elbows and gruffing as they went.

"Just because you're in heat doesn't mean you have a free pass to start petty fights, Sehun. And Kibum, you know how frustrating it is to be in heat without a mate, be a little more cooperative."

"Yes, hyung", they both muttered, somewhat embarrassed at having been scolded like five-year-olds.

"Where are the Betas?" Taemin asked through a mouthful of scrambled eggs.

"There was a very heavy scent coming from their room, so I'm assuming Junsu is in heat as well. My bet is they're screwing like rabbits upstairs". Jongwoon delivered his answer without even looking up from his newspaper.

"Yoochun hyung always was a horn dog, no pun intended", Jongin sneered.

"Now, now, that's no way to talk about your Betas", Jaejoong chided. His smile betrayed his true thoughts. Yixing, baby, aren't you hungry?

Coming! The bright-eyed Omega came rushing into the kitchen, fresh awake. Still in his fluffy bed socks, he slipped slightly on the tile floor, before taking his place in Jaejoong's lap. He happily let the Alpha pepper light kisses on his cheek, as Donghae handed him a plate.

When Yixing's mother had educated him on the pack ranking system, she had told him about how an Omega needed a good Alpha to stay healthy. One who would protect and cherish the Omega without taking advantage of the contractual breeding rights. One who would ask the Omega before giving any of the other pack members permission to have with him.

Yixing always thought that Jaejoong was the very best Alpha he could ever have. In his secret opinion, the lowest rank was the best position, if it meant living like this. Being the newest addition to the pack, he had automatically become Omega, and after getting to know life in the Star Clan, he did not mind staying in that place for the rest of his existence.


Within the following week, all the Carrier members of the Star Clan (i.e. all but Yoochun and Jongwoon) were in heat, making for a restless and irritable mood. The only one not frustrated out of his mind was Junsu, since he already had a mate in Yoochun. Come Saturday, he was humming contently, oblivious to the fact that the others were ready to rip his throat out for being too chipper.

"Hyung!" Junsu screeched across the living room in surprise after seeing the headlines on the morning news. Jaejoong couldn't help but flinch. Junsu's voice was usually so pleasant, but since it was quite husky in nature, his screams were all but enjoyable to sensitive werewolf ears.

"What?"

"Isn't that Himchan of Rogue Pack?" Junsu asked, pointing to the TV with his kimbap roll. The screen showed some CCTV footage from a robbery/assault the night before. The picture was blurry and dark, but there was no mistaking if you knew what to look for. Himchan had a characteristic movement pattern after an injury some years back. The fact that he was assaulting a member of the King Clan only helped in identifying the Rogue.

"Here we go", Yoochun muttered. The Rogue Pack were known troublemakers, but they never went against the King Clan before. That was taboo. This could only mean one thing. A challenge for top rank. War.

"Things are gonna get a little less quiet from now on", Taemin stated. All the other members sighed in annoyance. Being in heat was hassle enough, and now this? Perfect.


Later that day, Jaejoong received an unsurprising phone call. King Clan's Beta, Heechul, was summoning the Star Clan to an all-clan meeting.

"I assume this is about the Rogues?"

"Yep. Seven p.m. tomorrow, don't be late."

"We won't. One more thing", Jaejoong added before Heechul could hang up.

"What?" The snarky Beta made a show of wanting to hang up. Heechul and Jaejoong were always huffing and gruffing about something. Members of both Clans said it was because they were too much alike. The only thing the two agreed about was how the other members were so very, very wrong about that.

"Everyone in my pack is in heat at the moment, and I expect that you will take all the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of my kids."

"Perfect timing. Just great. Alright, I'll tell them to bring out the silver fences."

"Thank you kindly", Jaejoong said in a mock voice. The reply was the beep in his ear indicating that Heechul had hung up.


A/N:

So, first chapter. I introduce Jaejoong's pack here, and Yunho's pack will come later.

New faces:

Heechul

Himchan

Please comment and tell me what you think ^3^