Interlude: Winds of change

Life Blood

"So what happens now?" Changmin asked, his mouth full of rice.

"What always happens when two Alpha's mate, Changmin", Yunho replied with a smile. "Clan merger."

"Yeah, well, thank you Captain Obvious. I'm talking about the idiots in the living room. Your mate went all Destroyer on their pack member, in case you forgot."

"What do you think, Jae?" Yunho asked, looking at his mate, who was silent, deep in thought.

"I guess I should go and hear what they have to say for themselves…"


When Jaejoong entered the living room, where the surviving members of Rogue Pack were already kneeling in front of King Clan, the change in atmosphere was almost physically tangible. Rogue Pack immediately prostrated in their wolf forms, and even King Clan instinctively bowed their heads to Jaejoong, recognising his inadvertently claimed new position.

"Rogue Alphas, face me", Jaejoong demanded in a soft but unquestionable tone. Yifan and Joonmyeon quickly returned to their human forms, kneeling, not daring to meet Jaejoong's strong gaze.

"Speak." Jaejoong's voice was controlled, low and soft, but everyone present could feel his wolf energy, vibrating just beneath the surface. There was no mistaking that both Jaejoong and Hero were angry with the Rogue Pack, and rightfully so.

"Minjoon came to us a couple of decades ago, said he wanted to help us become a proper Clan", Yifan began, his voice not nearly as steady as he would have preferred it to be. "Being Rogue isn't exactly a sweet life, so we let him in, only hoping for a way out of the shadows. Baekhyun — the sadistic one from before — swallowed his lies like they were nectar from heaven, and even I have to admit he had a way with words. It wasn't difficult to choose to believe that sweet, honey-laced poison. I only realised a few months ago that he had been playing puppet master, when he convinced Himchan to attack Jiyong-sshi without my orders, but by then it was already too late. The ball was already in motion."

"Can you look me in the eyes and swear on all that is holy that you had no personal desire for things to turn out this way?"

"None whatsoever. I just wanted a better life for my pack. I swear."


"Here's what we'll do", Jaejoong said after some thought. "You and your pack may keep your lives. For now. I will give you until the next full moon to prove that you can stand by your words. Five weeks should be more than enough. On the night of the full moon, you will all appear before the council and plead your case. Then we will decide if you'll be exiled or not."

The words of gratitude coming from the members of Rogue Pack seemed like a stream with no end. The Omegas, Junhong and Jungkook, exchanged looks of relief. Their lives would change for the better now, no doubt about it.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

As the week passed, and the Sun and Moon Clans spent every minute preparing for the merger, which would take place under the full moon, with King Clan's Alpha pair as masters of ceremony. When two Alphas mated, custom was to merge both pack into one big clan, in a ceremony closely resemblant to a wedding.

A merger always brought many changes, since ranks had to be reevaluated.

"Xing-ah", Jaejoong said to his Omega who was cuddling up next to his Alpha the evening before the merger, unable to go to sleep. "When we merge, what do you want to do?"

"About what?"

"Your rank. Do you want to keep being Omega?"

Judging by Yixing's expression, his decision was difficult to say.

"Come on, sweetness. You know you can say what you want to me", Jaejoong encouraged.

"I don't. I never thought I'd say that, but…"

"You've found your mate, then?"

Yixing nodded.

"Good. Good. Who is it?"

"Jinki-sshi. Of King Clan."

"Really?! Wah, that's great. He'll take good care of you. Does he know?"

"I think so. We had a small moment when we were helping one of the injured hyungs. That's when I realised, and Jinki-sshi looked like he noticed it, too."

"Do you want me to speak to Jungsoo tomorrow? Ask him to let the two of you have some time to get to know each other?"

"I'd love that."


A/N

So, this is a short one, leading up to the next chap, which is the main event.

I first thought of calling this "part 1", but decided on Interlude in the end.

Please comment and tell me what you think <3

//Less than a week before Yunho leaves for the army!! How will I survive? ㅠㅠ