Date

The Great Psychic Onew

"Jinki sat inside the cafe they frequented nervously waiting for Taemin to arrive. He knew how great his future with Taemin looked and felt, but he couldn't help thinking that this might be a bad idea. After all, the future could change and he didn't want to push Taemin away and lose the wonderful future he had seen and the love he had experienced in his vision. A small cough pulled Jinki out of his worrisome thoughts and he looked up to see Taemin standing next to the table looking awkward. He looked better than ever as he was styled to per perfection, which was probably Key's doing. Jinki felt flattered that Taemin seemed to put effort into his appearance for this date but, at the same time, knew that Key probably forced him into doing so.

"Taemin, hi. I got you a drink already. I hope that's alright." Taemin was still standing there so Jinki gestures for him to sit down.

"Uh, thanks." An awkward silence followed with Taemin looking everywhere but Jinki.

Jinki gave a nervous chuckle. "I hope it's alright that I invited you here on your own." Taemin was still looking away from him so Jinki continued. "I think I gave a bad first impression and I wanted you to get to know the real me." Jinki sounded pretty confident on the outside, but on the inside he was freaking out. "And I would like to get to know you too. So, can we start over? Clean slate?"

Taemin finally looked up at this, just in time to see the wide smile on Jinki's face which caused him to look away once again, this time at his drink that was still untouched. He quickly picked the iced coffee up and took a sip before clearing his throat and replying. "Yeah, that sounds nice." He chanced another look at Jinki, who was still smiling that smile of his.

Taemin didn't know why he was so affected by the man in front of him. Especially that smile; that stupid, dazzling smile. Taemin felt downright flustered. He didn't get flustered, it just didn't happen. Make other people flustered, sure. Get flustered himself, never. Who was this guy to make Taemin so affected? It instantly made Taemin trust him even less, but he remembered Key's words as well as what Jinki had just said: He should give him a chance, get to know him as a person. Clean slate. His friends seemed to like him a lot so he should at least give him a chance. So he decides to ignore all his negative feelings and try to get to know Jinki better as a person. With that in mind, Taemin smiles and stands up, grabbing his drink which is luckily in a disposable cup so he can bring it along.

Taemin smiles warmly at Jinki, "let's go for a walk. It's nice outside and we always just sit in this cafe."

Jinki looks at Taemin with a look of bewilderment, surprised by his sudden change in attitude, but quickly smiles back and stands up as well, drink in hand. They make their way out of the cafe and, as they exit, Jinki makes the bold decision to grab Taemin's free hand and was surprised again when it was not pulled away.

They walked hand in hand, talking about themselves and their lives, just getting to know each other. After finishing their drinks, they decide to get some ice cream and go to a nearby park to eat it on a bench. Taemin was finally letting himself enjoy Jinki's company and found himself have a really nice time. Maybe Key was right in saying he had misjudged Jinki.

Taemin was pulled from his thoughts when Jinki asked a question. "Is your ice cream any good?"

"Yeah, it was delicious. I mean I already finished it and yours is only halfway gone." Taemin blushed a little at his own statement thinking that maybe he shouldn't have pointed out how much of a pig he is. "Thank you for buying it for me, you really didn't have to."

"Of course I did. I was the one who invited you so I should pay."

"Well, thank you anyway," Taemin responded with a warm smile.

Jinki has seen this smile but never directed towards him, at least not outside of his visions. He couldn't help but be mesmerized as he looked at Taemin's face: he was truly beautiful. Anyone who looked at the boy could see this, but there was more to it. After spending time with him, Jinki realized that, underneath that cold demeanor, there was an almost child-like joy along with warmth and kindness. Jinki knew that he had already experienced being in love with Taemin in his visions and didn't want to confuse those feelings with the present but, in that moment, he started to think that maybe those feelings really were starting to develop within himself.

"You are so beautiful." The words had slipped from his mouth unintentionally but he meant them: Taemin truly was beautiful, inside and out.

Suddenly, that warm smile that had Jinki so mesmerized disappeared off of Taemin's face. "Is that what you think?" Taemin asks with a face like stone. "That I'm just a pretty face?"

"What? Taemin, no. That's not what I meant."

Taemin ignores Jinki and continues on. "Of course that's what you think. That's all anyone ever thinks. You think that I don't know that people treat me differently? It's not my fault, I didn't ask for this. I'm not trying to manipulate people; I'm not like you." At this point, his stony face had turned into one of anger, tears forming in his eyes.

"Manipulate people? Taemin, I don't understand what you're talking about. I really wasn't trying to offend you and I'm sorry if I did."

"Oh, cut the bull. I know all about your little act. You draw people in with your looks and your smile, get them to trust you, then you drain them for all they're worth just so you can make a profit. I bet you're rolling in the dough; in money gained by deceit. All you 'psychics' are the same."

"Look, even if I was a fake like you think I am, I think you are seriously misunderstanding what it is I do for a living and why."

"So you admit that you're a fake?"

"No, I'm just saying that not everyone believes and I get that."

"Then why didn't you even give me an answer when I went to your shop?"

"Because I didn't know how to react when I saw myself in your future."

"Wow! Is that your way of trying to get into my pants 'cause it's not going to work?"

"What? No, of course not. Listen, Taemin. Can I just explain why I do what I do for a living so that we can clear up this misunderstanding?"

"You mean how you scam people out of their hard earned money and give them nothing in return?"

"I don't give them nothing in return, I give them hope and happiness and peace of mind. People come to me when their having a rough time, looking for answers. I give them those answers and help them to have a brighter outlook on life. Even if you don't believe that my answers are the right answers, don't you see the value in giving people back the hope that they had lost sight of?"

Taemin paused at this. "I guess." His response was meek and unsure but Jinki knew that he was finally getting through to him.

"Do you remember what Key was like right before he started coming to see me? The first time he walked through my door he looked like a man who had lost all hope. I know that you saw this in him and I know that you were worried about him."

Taemin was about to retort that Jinki couldn't possibly know what he was thinking at that time but, instead, he paused again because he knew that Jinki was right. He had noticed a change in Key during that time: he didn't seem to be his perky and sassy self, he just seemed sad and down on himself all the time. Taemin had, in fact, been worried for his friend and had even encouraged him to talk to someone. Of course, when he realized that the someone he had chosen to talk to was a psychic, he thought that he had totally lost his mind. But he had to admit that he did see a change in Key: he was back to his old self. Shortly after, Key had met Jonghyun and Taemin had never seen his friend so happy. While he did not agree with his use of a psychic, he had to admit that Key was in a much better state of mind after his visits with Jinki and was glad that he no longer had to worry about him and his lack of joy and happiness. Maybe going to see a psychic was a good thing after all.

The tears that had been forming in Taemin's eyes finally started to fall. "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. You gave me back my friend and all I did was treat you like . I was wrong about everything."

Upon seeing Taemin cry, Jinki's first instinct was to comfort him. He set aside his forgotten, and now melted, ice cream and pulled Taemin into his embrace, gently rubbing his back and combing through his hair with his other hand. "Don't say that Taemin, I'm not mad at you. You were just concerned for your friend."

Taemin shook his head, which was now buried in Jinki's neck. "I was still wrong and I'm sorry. I was right about one thing though: I'm not like you, I'm so much worse. You are kind to everyone and I just take advantage of people." Taemin pulled back slightly so that he could look at Jinki when he next spoke. "What is wrong with me? Why am I like this?"

As soon as Taemin asked that question about himself, Jinki was pulled into a vision, but instead of seeing an older version of the person who had asked the question like every other vision he had ever had, he saw a much younger version of Taemin in what, he could only assume, was a vision of the past rather than the future.

 

 

A/N  So... I'm alive. Sorry for my disappearance off the face of the planet but I do still exist. I had writer's block for the longest time but I'm finally back and I already have the next chapter written but just have to type and edit it. Sorry for making you wait so long and sorry for turning what started as a cute date into something super angsty. Let me know what you think and I'll try not to disappear any more but I'm not making anymore promises because I clearly at keeping them.