Growing up

Sharing is Caring

Jungkook was concerned. The little boy was lying on his bed with his arms folded above his chest, looking at the dinosaur mobile on his ceiling. It was friday night, the day before his best friend's birthday celebration, and Jungkook still haven't figured out what to give him as a gift. It's been almost a week since Jimin told the boy about his birthday, and since then the younger took his mother to every possible shop to search for something his hyung would like to have. Too bad, nothing was necessary or good enough for Jimin. Jungkook was worried, and frustrated. "Kookie, dinner's ready, come on!", Jungkook heard his father shout from downstairs.

The little boy got up off his bed with a sigh, and walked downstairs to the dinning table on the kitchen. His older brother, Seokjin, was already sat on the table reading some literature book, while his mom and dad put the dishes and food on the table. "Jungkook, sit. Seokjin, we'll eat now, you can read after dinner, right?", said the mother,as she sat at the table beside her husband and across from their children. The family thanked for the meal and started to eat dinner. Jungkook wasn't touching his food much, and of course his parentes noticed it, they exchanged looks and decided to talk to their son. "Kookie", the mother said, calling the boy's attention, who raised his head from his plate to look at her, "you're still sad about the gift?".

The little boy nodded his head affirmatively. The poor kid had no idea what to give to Jimin, and once he had promised the coolest gift in the world, it was even harder. Jimin hyung would be so disappointed on him, he thought. "Ya, we still have tomorrow morning. We'll figure something out." The boy nodded his head again shortly, and sighed, it would be hard. The woman looked at her husband, and now it was time for the father to talk, "Yeah... and, besides... Jimin is a nice kid, right? I think he'll be glad to receive anything, as long as it's meaningful from you". Jungkook gave a small smile, his dad was right. Jimin wasn't interested in pricey things, he haven't even asked for a present himself, it was Jungkook's idea.

Dinner ended and the boy's parents decided to clean the dishes together. Seokjin went to his room to keep reading his book, and Jungkook brought his notebook to the dining table to make his homework. While working on his geography exercises, Jungkook stole some glances at his parents. The little boy loved to see them working together happily. That made him wonder if all the families were like that, or it was just his. His mother always seemed so happy always his dad was around, and It also made him happy. So he thought that was how his mother had told him it looked like when two adults were in love, even after the almost fifteen years they were married, and for the boy it was beautiful to say the least.

After the dishes were washed and homework done, the family gathered together in the living room couch to watch a movie. It happened to be a rerun of Love Actually, one of Jungkook's mother's recently favorite romance movies. At some scenes, or more like various, the mother would cover her younger son's eyes, so he wouldn't see inappropriate things for his age, and her husband only laughed at them. The boy wasn't really a kid to pay attention at these kind of love movies, but this time he was somehow interested in observing the different ways people were dealing with the events in their lives, and mostly a little character who called more his attention, Sam, the boy was really brave.
 At the end of the movie, Jungkook's mother was silently letting small tears stream down her cheeks, but she was also smiling. His father, who was beside the woman, hugged her tighter, and with a smile on his face cleaned her emotional tears with his thumb. Both laughed at eachother, and for a moment their lips touched in a sweet kiss, and soon after pulled away, smiling again at eachother. All the while the boy was observing them, he knew that the movie was only fiction, but his parenst truly cared for eachoter.

That night Jungkook went to bed, and again stared at the mobile in the ceiling. The next day Jimin wouldn't be just one, but two years older than him, and day by day Jungkook was noticing he was getting taller. In a few years Jimin and Taehyung would go to another school, and we would stay  alone for a whole year. It was a too much things for an 8 years old boy to think about, but the boy couldn't stop worrying. Imagining how the next day would be, the little boy fell asleep that night.

The next morning Jungkook woke up with an idea. The boy already knew what to present his best friend, and he also wouldn't have to spend any money on it. His mom was also relieved to know about it, but when she asked her son what was it he would gift Jimin, the boy said it was a surprise, and she would know later. Jungkook was eager for the morning to pass quickly, so he could go to his friend’s house. That day Seokjin wouldn't follow the rest of the family to the birthday, once he had an test on the next day and wanted to study as much as he could, so only mother, father and younger son got ready to go.

It was two in the afternoon when the family arrived at the Park’s residence. Mr. Park opened the door and greeted the visitors with a big smile, “Annyeong Jungkook! Mr. and Mrs. Jeon, it’s a pleasure to meet you again!”. The family entered the house, and Mr. Park led the little boy to the backyard, where the other kids where already. I knew we where late, Jungkook thought to himself.
Out in the backyard Jimin’s cousin, Yoongi, and his friend Namjoon were fighting with plastic swords, Taehyung sat on his own close to the back door, and two other girls sat on a bench, Jimin's classmates, he assumed. But Jimin was nowhere to be seen. “Kookieeee”, Taehyung screamed when he saw the younger boy arriving, and got up to hug him. “Thanks God you’re here, Jimin is being a whole life upstairs. I was getting bored”. The little boy smiled at his friend, and turned to look back inside the house as he heard footsteps down the stairs. It was him, the birthday boy.

Jimin and his mother with a crying Jihyun on her arms descended the stairs, the boy was somehow different. As the boy closed the distance between himself and his best friend, Jungkook noticed the boy had a new haircut, a little shorter, and it didn’t seem like a bowl anymore. “Kookie, I’m so happy you came”, the older boy said smiling so much his eyes closed in crescent moon shapes, and hugged his friend tightly. Jungkook hold onto him for a few more seconds, “Of course I came, hyung, I couldn’t lose it. Happy Birthday!”. Both parted, and Jungkook ran his hand through Jimin’s freshly cut hair, turning a little around him to see it properly, “You cut your hair, hyung”. Jimin nodded his head, “Yes, eomma cut it for me. Did… did you like it?”, the boy asked nervously looking at his friend. Jungkook nodded shyly, his hyung was really cute.

As all the people had already arrived, Mr. Park called everybody to the backyard to sing Happy Birthday to the birthday boy. There in front of a big table full of delicious food stood Jungkook’s parents, Jimin’s grandmother and Yoongi, Namjoon and his mother, Taehyung, and the girls Yerin and the other who incredibly was also called Park Jimin. The birthday boy’s parents and little brother stood by his side behind the table, and also little Jungkook, who was pulled by his friend to stay by his side while they would celebrate.

Everybody sang happy birthday to Jimin and they cut the cake. Yoongi didn't waste time and went to mock his cousin for giving the first slice of the cake to his best friend, but internally was more like jealousy and hungry. Jungkook tried to hide his face in his hands, so people wouldn't see how red he probably was from embarrassment and joy.
At the end of the afternoon Taehyung, Yerin and the Jimin girl’s respective parents came to pick them up. Namjoon and his mom also had to attend another place, so for last stayed only the family members and Jungkook’s parents. The two married couples kept on chatting about life, while Yoongi and his grandmother were watching television. That day Jungkook could get to know a little bit more about Jimin life and family, like for exemplo he now knew that Yoongi never met his father, and his mom was working aboard to raise the kid, so he lived only with his grandmother. Namjoon also didn’t have a dad, who sadly died when a guy was trying to robber him, and was raised by his mother only, and that’s the reason why the woman put all her effort on making him a nice and scholar boy. The so different boys like Namjoon and Yoongi were friends for some reason, and maybe they had more things in common than the younger boy had figured out.


Jimin decided he and Jungkook should go to his room open up the presents, and so they did. Jungkook got nervous, he haven’t gave Jimin his gift yet, and he didn’t knew if he would like it, but nonetheless he wanted his to be the last one. The last present of the small pile was wrapped in a colorful paper, and had a note on it. “Happy birthday, Jiminnie hyung, you’re the best!”, Jimin read in a calm voice and smiled softly, looking quickly at the boy by his side, and back to the little paper, turning it around “…ps: our science project got an A+, yaaay!!!”. “Oh…”, he say last, so it was Taehyung’s. The boy unwrapped the paper an found an action figure in it, a tiny chubby boy with glasses and Superman clothes, it kinda looked like Jimin. The boy laughed and showed the toy to his friend beside him. Jungkook released a sad smile. That was the coolest gift. How could he had not thought about that? Taehyung was really a smart and creative kid.


Jimin got up from his bed, put the toy on one of his shelfs, and came back to sit at his bed. Jungkook was sat cross-legged and looking down at his lap. “Hyung…”, he said soflty, put his right hand on his short’s pocket to search for something, and with his two hand offered jimin a small blue packet. Jimin took it with a smile, and opened it, his smile growing wider. The older boy took from the packet a silver bracelet he knew too well, and looked at his best friend’s wrist, which was empty. “Kookie”, he said putting a hand on his friends small shoulder to make him look at him, “are you giving me your bracelet? Are you sure? You adore it”. Jungkook looked up at his friend and hummed accordingly, “It’s yours now.”

Jimin couldn’t express his entire joy in receiving this gift. He hugged his best friend thanking him a lot of times. Jungkook was right when he said he would give Jimin the best gift in the entire world, and it was not just the bracelet, but his friendship. “Kookie, your gift is the best, I love it”, the boy said at last. Jungkook was now satisfied and relieved his friend truly liked it. The younger boy took his gift and put it around Jimin’s wrist, turning two times and it fit perfectly, not looking loose as it was once in his own arm.
Jimin thanked him, and tugged his best friend’s hand, “Let’s go downstairs, I wanna show it to eomma and appa!” Both boys got up from the bed and walked towards the door, but Jungkook stopped midway. “Hyung? Wait…”. Jimin turned back to look at him questioningly, and fixed his always-falling-glasses up his nose. Jungkook gulped, and sighed, closing his eyes. It was so quick, Jimin took a moment realize what just happened. His best friend had kissed him. His best friend had kissed him for what seemed like half a millisecond and ran away downstairs. The boy’s eyes were wide open, and his cheeks so warm he swore it could fry a sunny side up egg. Jimin slowly lifted his arm and cautiously brushed his fingertips over his lips, at the and releasing a small smile. That was definitely the best birthday he had so far.

~................~


The day Jimin turned 10 years old, a whole lot of things changed. He was a little taller, even just slightly. He got a new haircut. He had now lived for a whole decade. And he had his first kiss. Shared for less than a blink of an eye time, but shared with his BEST friend in the world. 

~..............~

 

Author's Note: OMFG this chapter is sooo big close to the others hahah

So guys, this is the end... at least for now. I'm serious, I got emotional at the end. I really enjoyed to write this story, and I hope you guys also enjoyed to read it.

I guess most of you had already watched to Love Actually, well, I think Sam is super cute and somehow had something similar to Jungkook in the story.  The new fanfic with the teenager character will start someday in this april, I promise hahah just not sure about when... I'll probably post the link here so, don't worry. And for the ones who missed Hoseok, also don't worry, I have plans for him on the following plot, I just couldn't simply throw him anywhere in the story with no sense. I'm planning on making a short foreword telling a little bit more about each character, and what happened to them in these transition years. Oh, and btw, I loved this Jungkook bracelet. I found this pic on google, and I'd like to have one, it's so cute.

See you soon ^-^