The Saver

The Author

Luhan wrote something on a piece of paper. He put it inside a small plastic bag, preventing it from getting wet.  ‘Such a weird way to commit suicide.’ he put it inside his pocket. He stared at the view for the last time. The bridge was quite as no one passed by.

Taking a deep breath, he stood on a stool. Luhan gulped down his saliva. He broke out into cold sweats. ‘Should I do this? I think I should. Okay, Luhan. In the count of three, one, two…’

“Yah! What the hell are you doing?” Luhan was freaked out. He accidentally slipped and fell into the lake.

Joyeon was panicked. Her eyes bulged.

“Help me! I can’t swim!” he screamed out. Joyeon pulled her hair in frustration and jumped into the lake.  She swam to Luhan and dragged his body to the ashore.

“Are you stupid? Why are you jumping into the cold water? Plus, you can’t swim!” Joyeon brushed her bang away from her face and wiped her face. She squeezed the hem of her shirt.

Luhan clutched his knees and cried. Joyeon rolled her eyes. ‘Aish, he is such a cry baby.’

She sat beside Luhan and patted his back gently.

“Life is hard, eh?” she said. Luhan nodded, still crying. His sobs muffled against her.

“Why did you save me?” Joyeon palmed her face and rolled her eyes for the nth time.

“You’re screaming for help. You can’t swim!” frustration filled her voice.

“Oh, yeah, you’re right. Thank you.” She nodded.  Joyeon put her hand inside her pocket. ‘Eh, where’s my camera?’ she quickly stood up and searched for her camera in her pockets.

“My camera.” she mumbled. Luhan looked up to Joyeon with his red eyes.

“What are you looking for?” she didn’t answer his question and ran towards the bank of the lake. Her eyes were wildly searching for the camera. Failed in finding the camera, she then knelt down and let out a heavy sigh. ‘My camera had gone.’ Her eyes were filled with unshed tears.

Luhan wiped his tears and went to Joyeon.

“Erm, what’s wrong?”

“The water had brought away my camera.” Luhan bit his lower lip.

“It’s my fault. I’m so-sorry.” Joyeon stood up weakly and turned to Luhan. She flashed a pure smile to Luhan, even though she was hurt inside. Joyeon shook her head and wiped her tears.

“Nah, it’s not your fault. I didn’t take it out before jumping inside the lake.”

“How about going to my house? It’s cold here. I’ll make you a coffee if you like.” Luhan hugged his shivering body. Joyeon thought for a while.

“Do you have chocolate or vanilla cake?” Joyeon’s brows wiggled.

“Well, I can buy that for you if you want.” she jumped happily.

“Count me in!”