Ryu Joyeon's

The Author

The sunlight filtered through the window blinds. Joyeon squinted as the sun started to shine its warming light.

“I’m ready for a morning!” she screamed out with joy. Joyeon was always filled with joy, just like her name. Jumping up and down gleefully, she grabbed her apple green towel and dragged her feet to the bathroom.

“Honey, breakfast is ready.” her mother called.

“I’ll be down there later.” she sang happily. Her mom smiled and shook her head.

30 minutes later, Joyeon ran down the stairs, skipping two stairs at a time. She quickly went to the kitchen as she could smell her favourite food was being served.

“OMG. Beef fried rice!” she screamed. Joyeon quickly landed her on the chair, smiling sheepishly at her mother.

“You should calm yourself.” Joyeon grinned, showing her white perfect teeth.

She took a spoonful of the fried rice and stuffed it into . Munching down the rice, she then put a thumb up.

“Always yummy!” she said cheerfully. Mrs Kim smiled after hearing the sincere compliment. She brushed her hair away from her face. Mrs Kim always cherished her like her own daughter even though Joyeon was not her real mother.

Joyeon’s life was a little bit complicated to tell. Let’s just say that their parents had divorced and no one wanted to take care of Joyeon, leaving her alone in their old house.

“Mom, I’m going to see Jongin oppa today. I want to tell him the truth.” Joyeon’s sweet smile seemed to fade away. She was not ready to tell her boyfriend about her malignant.

“Well, that’s good. Don’t lie to him. He’s a kind boy. I know that he would accept it.” Mrs Kim Joyeon’s hair with love. She smiled and nodded her head.

 

 

“Oh, hey! Sorry. I’m late.” Jongin rubbed his hands together, cold. Joyeon looked up and put her camera away.

“Nah, no problem at all.” she flashed a smile. Jongin sat beside her.

“I’ve something to tell you.” Jongin lifted up his head and looked at her.

“Well, I’ve something to tell you too.” Joyeon’s eyes grew bigger. Her palms grew clammy even though it was really cold.

“You go first.” Jongin took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

“Let’s break up.” Her stomach clenched in pain. Dark clouds seemed to constantly loom over her head.

“W-w-what?” she spoke with a stutter.

“I don’t think our relationship will last for a long time.” Jongin didn’t dare to stare at her. His eyes were glued on his shoes.

Joyeon her dried lips. Plastering a fake bitter smile on her face, she nodded her head.

“So, what did you want to tell me?” Joyeon shook her head.

“Well, it was just nothing.” then, she stood up.

“I’ve got to go now.” Joyeon took out her phone, pretending to text someone urgently. Jongin nodded his head.

As Joyeon was about to walk away, Jongin pulled her into his arms. He kissed her forehead for the last time. Tears welled up in her eyes and began rolling down her cheeks like rivulets.

“I’m sorry.” he whispered. He broke the last warm hug. She felt the whole world collapsing upon her. Jongin wiped her tears away from her face.

“I understand.”

The weather changes abruptly, as if the Mother Nature had joined the gathering to bid the boy goodbye. Joyeon walked away but then she stopped. Turning around to see Jongin who was distancing himself from her, she took out her camera and took a photo of Jongin’s back.

She then ran towards him. Tears welled out of her eyes. Jongin turned himself to see Joyeon. Joyeon cupped his cheeks and kissed him on his lips.

“Goodbye. Have a happy life.”