|| #chapter 1 ||

||VOX|| | SM Entertainment | Story Started
3ae1d225d55a35383b89415eb509a0ed.jpg
A New Setting
Living together is both a gift... and a nightmare ↓

[11:59am. December 9, 2014]

The road to fame as an idol never was easy. That was the cold truth that Jehun had placed before them in the car, amidst the quiet chatter and absolute silence.

“I don’t want you to get hurt… I’m here to make sure everything gets done, and to make sure understand that while I know I will come to think of you as my family, like my daughters… Being an idol is not all sunshine and roses. You will be hurt, you will be stressed and you will find it harder than anything you can think of. But I have faith that you will do well, after all you are the best of SM’s trainees. All I can hope and wish for you is that the road is easy.”

It had stopped the small chatter, leaving the five girls to ponder of the words that had fallen from her lips and implanted themselves in her mind. Many by this point had turned to stare out the window at passing cars and pedestrians walking on the busy streets as they made their way to their dorm for the first time.

It wasn’t warm out today, despite the brightness of the sun. There was snow on the ground and it made the ground seem even brighter, meaning everyone was sporting a pair of dark glasses, even through the heavily tinted windows of the van.

The group had met their manager at various points within the last hour. It started with the moving truck, whom had come around half an hour or so before the black van arrived, taking away the few boxes of things with sentimental value you wanted to take and their clothing. It didn’t matter that they had taken them; they were staff from SM, who were transporting the few cases of items into the new dorm for each member.

In all honesty they could all say they were a little excited because of this, because all they could think about was how this really was starting to feel like they were a group. Like they were a proper idol group that they had only seen at a distance, and now they were becoming one of those groups.

It wasn’t a surprise to anyone that they were quick to clamber out of the back of the van to look up at the small apartment complex. Granted it wasn’t as grand as what they new other idol groups to be, it wasn’t as small and shabby as what some other groups were put into from smaller companies.

“This is your dorm building. Naturally as you will be an idol group there are some little extras about all of this.” Jehun informed them as they started to make their way from where the car was parked on the other side of the road, cautiously crossing to avoid motorists. The building wasn’t made out of all glass that reflected in the sunlight nearly blinding you, it was a nice mix considering this was a small building, maybe ten to fifteen floors.

“Its not a very new building, but I have been informed that as a trainee group that has yet to make any profits, it will fit you just fine.” Jehun started, walking into the heated foyer on the ground floor. “Of course as you may know, the more profits and how successful you become will determine whether or not you are given a better apartment.” She finished, heading straight for the elevator that was off to the side, across from a group of chairs outside of a small café that was connected to the building.

Everyone piled in; it was a little bit close fitting, but still relatively spacious for the five girls and their manager to get in.

“Which one is ours?” Geummi asked, looking at the buttons in front of her, and then back to Jehun for the answer.

“Your apartment is on the eighth floor and is number 7, which is down the right corridor.” She informed them, voice clearly implying that they should be noting this down for future reference.

“Lucky number eight!” Daelin clapped, smiling brightly. “It should bring us great fortune when we debut.” She spoke out to the group whimsically.

“Maybe? Perhaps that’s why they chose it.” Jehun smiled at the tiny girl. It was quite obvious that while they were wearing flat shoes that she was tiny compared to the rest of the group. Inhyo and Haru were the twin towers of the group, both being equally the tallest by at least two inches against the vocalist. Suri and Geummi however, stood only a measly inch taller than the vocalist, but it was still quite obvious when you looked at them next to her.

“But it doesn’t matter now. Time to go and discover your home for now.” Jehun waved it off, her words coming after the ding of the elevator and then the shudder as it opened up the metal doors.

“Right!” Inhyo called out after Daelin, whom had started to go down the left corridor.

“Sorry… I forgot.” She muttered, turning on her heel bashful. “But its okay now, I’ll try to remember…” She muttered, joining onto the end of the group led by Jehun. It was like a tour group, only much smaller and down a narrow corridor with dark tiles.

“Come on, come on… Please?” Geummi chanted at the front of the group basically tripping over the older woman’s heels. “I wanna choose the best room first.”

“Don’t worry, there is only two rooms. You’ll be sharing with either two people or one person.” Jehun shook her head, stopping at the door at the end. “So I’m sure you’ll figure out the arrangement.”

“Aren’t you staying with us unnie?” Haru asked, now being the first time she had really spoken around the group. Jehun looked at the quiet girl and shook her head.

“No, I’ll be going back to my home. But I’ll be around you all day for your schedules and will pick you up every morning. Don’t worry.”

“I’ll look after them when we’re at the dorm alone.” Inhyo spoke up, the door beeping as it unlocked itself. The group quickly migrating into the foyer, taking off their shoes and then heading further into the dorm.

“I’m sure you will.” Their manager agreed, closing the door and herding them into the lounge. “Now the passcode to the door is 113302921, so you may want to write that down.”

The quick taps against glass was all that needed to be heard to confirm that they were writing down the number onto their phones.

“Wait what was it again? Could you repeat it please unnie?” Geummi asked, looking up from her phone.

“113302921.”

“Thank you, it’s all nicely saved in my phone.” Suri confirmed, putting her phone back into her bag, moving to look around the apartment in her spot.

“Everyone done?” Inhyo questioned, checking everyone to make sure they had typed it in and were putting away their phones.

“Yes.” Haru confirmed quietly, walking around to the rest of the girls to make sure.

“That’s all you’ll need to worry about to get in. Now the kitchenette is over there, and the bathroom is through that door.” Jehun said pointing out some of the rooms. “As you’ll know this is the lounge and through those two doors are the bedrooms.” Daelin’s head shot up at that piece of information in particular.

“Do you know which room would have the best sunlight by any chance?” She questioned eagerly, eyes lighting up in fascination.

“You’ll only be here for sunrises really, so the room to the left would have the best sunlight coverage both during the morning and through most of the day, and its has three beds. The other room has much less sunlight, and has two beds.” She informed the maknae, eyes questioning her as she made her way to sit on the couch.

“I claim sleeping in that room then!” She said quickly, pointing to the room on the left, completely disregarding her unnies and making her way to that room.

“Yah!” Suri chided gently, “we haven’t decided who is in which room.” She said, looking at the girl pointedly, but gently pulling her back. “And no doing aegyo to get it.”

“How do we want to divide the rooms?” Inhyo said quickly, taking the position as leader quickly.

“Well Jehun unnie said the ‘sunlight’ room has three beds, which means three of us in that one and two in the other. So kai-bai-boh?” Haru appealed to the group, shooting a look to the maknae that was pouting over being denied free choice of rooms.

“In order from the ultimate winner to loser you can have your pick of rooms?” Geummi chimed nodding at the group. There were resounding chimes of approval at the game and terms.

“Its settled then. Kai-bai-boh and the winner will get the first pick.” Inhyo confirmed, moving her hand behind her back.

“Kai… Bai… Boh!”

Hands were ed in, two rocks, three scissors. It was silent for a second as each recognized whether or not they lost and then came the sighs of frustration or relief.

“Geummi and Inhyo, which room would you prefer?” Haru asked, moving her hand to the side and looking to each room. Truthfully both Inhyo and Geummi didn’t really want to be woken by the sun and Haru and Suri got up early anyway, so the choice was already made.

“Right.” They spoke in unison, leaving Suri and Haru to sigh, and Daelin to jump for joy.

“We’re in the sunlight room then.” Haru said, looking to the remaining two. Daelin wasn’t really paying attention, already moving off to inspect the room and Suri nodded, following after her dongsaeng. 



Both rooms weren’t very big, but they weren’t horribly cramped either. Bunk beds were pushed up against the wall, and in the triple room it had another bed opposite them. Neither room matched each other, conveying a different personality.

The ‘sunlight’ room was brightly lit with windows on two of its walls, compared to the single wall of windows in the other room. It had desks and drawers, pushed between gaps between the wall and the bed, trying to leave space in the middle for access, enough to squeeze their bodies through.

Whereas the darker of the two had a bunk bed pushed up against the right wall, the big closet cupboard being the only other occupant in the room and sat next to the beds and along the door wall.
The rest was empty space, though a small amount of empty space, but still bigger than that of the other room.

There wasn’t boxes, or anything but the furniture in the room, just the emptiness that protruded from the unused air that occupied the room. -
 

[Sunlight Room]

The maknae was first in, pushing open the door eagerly and scanning the room.

One… Two. Two walls of windows.

“Which way does the sun rise again? East?” She pondered, pulling out her phone for a compass. “East…” Was all she repeated, looking up and down from her phone in quick motions.

“How do you want to choose beds?” Suri asked, following in after Haru, looking at the three beds in front of them.

“Lets just see which one we’d prefer and if we can’t decide then we’ll just play kai-bai-boh.” Haru just said, looking over the tiny girls shoulders.

“Daelin?”

“The one with the most sunlight.” She said without any hint of hesitation, looking up and pointing to the single bed. “It gets the sunlight from that window and that window, also meaning keeping the tops blind shut and the bottom ones open will be okay for you.”

The two older members looked at each other, nodding slightly.

“You can have it, sleeping arrangements don’t bother me.” Haru shrugged, a smile curving at her lips.

“Suri?”

“I get up early, so I really don’t mind. You can have first pick.” Suri said, gesturing to the beds. Neither really cared all too much about their sleeping arrangements. If they were tired, they’d probably sleep anywhere.

“I’ll take the top bunk. We both will probably get up around the same time so it doesn’t matter.” Haru shrugged, moving to climb up the ladder and sit on the bed.

The head space between the roof and Haru’s head wasn’t all too big, but it was just big enough for her to sit up straight and do slight stretches. Nothing more was said between them really, most just looking and adjusting blinds for sunlight purposes and opening up the drawers next to their beds.
 

[Darkness Room]

The two girls walked into their rooms, small victorious smiles present as they looked at their winnings. The room was seemingly very spacious with everything pushed up against the walls.

“Can I have the top bunk unnie?” Geummi asked, spinning on her heel to look at the leader with pleading eyes. “Please~” She all but sung to Inhyo in desparation.

“If you want it, I’d prefer the bottom bunk anyway.” Inhyo nodded, already wanting the bottom one for easier access. Geummi’s eyes lit up with happiness, clapping her hands together.

“Yay! I always wanted the top bunk and now I can put a mirror to the roof so I can always wake up to my beautiful self.” She sighed, rambling about how happy she felt. It wasn’t a surprise to the elder when she practically skipped over to the ladder, hauling herself up and crashing face first into the mattress.

“Yah, Geummi! Wait until we put sheets on so you don’t get makeup on the mattress.” Inhyo called out, seeing the small display of utter relaxation and happiness. “I’ll go and ask if there is any linen around here.” Inhyo shook her head, looking up at the childish girl whom had flipped over onto her back and was looking down to ground.

“Sorry unnie, but I finally got to have the top bunk. I always wanted to have one…” Geummi whined, looking sheepish. Inhyo waved her off, walking back out through the small gap that was the hall and into the main lounge where Jehun was looking down at her phone seriously.

“Jehun unnie?” Inhyo called out, looking at the older woman for her answer. “Is there any linen for the beds? Geummi wants to relax on her bed.”

“Hmm…” The Korean-Malaysian woman said, looking up from her phone quickly. “Not currently. The truck with your belongings is making a pit-stop; they have just had to get a few more items for your bedrooms.”

Inhyo eyes widened in alarm by the sentiment for a second, before her face softened. “We’ll have everything here by tonight right?” She confirmed, blinking faster out of habit.

“Of course. Besides we’ll have to leave shortly to head to practice, so they’ll drop it all around then.” Inhyo nodded to the words, seeing her manager getting up from her seat. “Anyway we should start heading off.”

The leader nodded, turning to pop her head back into her own room to call down one of her dongsaengs and then head into the other room for the rest of them.

“Time to go.”
Keera's Note

This is awkward. I was supposed to update like a month ago, but my laptop started to act up so we had to order another one and then school started. So I've been boggled down with homework and assignments because I take classes higher than my grade so its a bit hard (I'm looking at you physics, but chemistry is easy.)

But I'm not going to apologize because I did have other things, and have been writing in my spare time. So now its a matter of getting my hands on the internet and uploading them in a timely fashion.