2010 : Become His Friend

This Time Of Year

Another busy day in Santa's Factory and our Minseok is standing in front of the store again. He decided to come back to fulfill his main goal this year; to befriend the beautiful angel reindeer whose name he got yesterday, Luhan.

 

He spent his whole night thinking of a reason to be able to go back today. He already bought toys for all the kids.

 

"I should have bought half today and half tomorrow. Why didn't I think about that?" Minseok had asked himself that night.

 

Now he is standing again on the same spot he was yesterday. Gathering courage to go inside the store. After a few minutes, he finally stepped his way in.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo! Welcome to Santa's Factory!" A voice startled Minseok. He almost went back outside. He thought his heart fell out his chest; that is because he thought the one who welcomed him was Luhan. When he realized he thought wrong, he immediately bowed and said sorry even though he didn't have to.

 

Once inside the store, he looked for a certain someone again. He went by the decorations aisle where he met Luhan yesterday. Then an idea came to him.

 

"The orphanage needs some decorations too huh." He began to look for decorations that will suit the orphanage and the officials will like. For some time, he forgot about Luhan because he’s enjoying choosing Christmas decorations. Not every year does he get to this because he is just in charge of the toys.

 

After he finalized the items he will buy, realization came to him. He hasn't seen Luhan for the past hour. He sought every aisle looking for the certain reindeer. He did not see him. He lost his hope today and decided to pay for the decorations then go home fast because he is so lonely right now.

 

"Maybe talking to Yixing will lighten up my mood somehow." Thinking of the nice young orphan, he proceeded to the long line to the cashier.

 

Minseok doesn't mind standing in line for long, but he had his frowning face all the way to the cashier. He put the items in the counter for the cashier to be able to punch in the barcodes. He doesn't mind anything anymore, he just wants this to finish fast.

 

"Had a bad day? Huh?" The cashier began speaking to Minseok. He look at the reindeer cashier, slowly to pay him a reply. His eyes met with the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. His jaw slowly drop slightly.

"I see you bought decorations this time. I never saw you buy some before," Luhan said. He is the one in-charge of the cashier today which is why Minseok didn't see him around. He can't just notice Luhan behind the counter because of the long line in front of it.

"You noticed me back then?" Minseok's eyes are so wide right now because he didn't expect what Luhan said.

"Yes, of course. Every year I saw a walking baozi at our store. Buying toys." Luhan seems like he is purposely slowing the punching of items down, but Minseok is not noticing it.

"E- every year? What's a baozi?" Luhan laughs and that made Minseok embarrassed.

"Mandu. It's a mandu in Chinese. I'm Chinese." Luhan smiles. Minseok nods, mouth still slightly open. "Well, every year since I worked here in 2008. I already saw you back then. I felt like you already noticed me too; we're just both shy to approach each other am I right?"

 

Minseok couldn't believe everything he just heard. Luhan, the angel, noticed him at the same year he saw his angel. This must be fate, he thought. Just before Minseok can say anything, a boy came in front of them.

 

"Hyung! I want to hug Santa!" They both realized that the items are ready, but Minseok hasn't paid yet. After he hands in the money, he fetched the bag full of Christmas decorations from Santa, who greeted him. He then heard Luhan call him, or did he say 'baozi', so he turned around.

 

"Come again tomorrow!"

 

"I- I can't! It's Christmas Eve..." But Luhan didn't hear him.
 

 

 

 

*heavy breathing* Minseok is in front of Santa's Factory again. Today is Christmas Day, December 25. He ran from the orphanage to the store early in the morning, without any reason for coming. But he is sure of one reason and that is to formally talk to Luhan to become his friend.

He didn't wait any longer. He enters the store, someone welcomed him, and then he proceeded to every aisle of Christmas items inside. He wanders around the store. There's not much people today but he still hasn't seen Luhan. He already went to the counter thrice, in every aisle twice, but still no Luhan. He checked his watch and realized that he's been here for almost an hour already. He finally gave up. He went out the store frowning again.

 

 

 

"I'll just try again next year," he sighed.

"It's Christmas Day! Why aren't you happy? And what are you going to try again next year?" Again, unexpectedly, Luhan is in front of him. He is wearing casual winter clothes and not the usual reindeer costume. He doesn't have that antlers in his head. He is just a normal boy today.

"I..." Minseok began to stutter again. But he didn't let himself fail this time. He composed himself and did one heavy exhale then he talked again. "I was looking for you inside. I couldn't come yesterday because we have an annual Christmas Party that I couldn't miss. Sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" Luhan laughs. "We also had our Christmas Party last night. Can you imagine Santa and his reindeers partying hard on Christmas Eve?" Both laugh.

"It's my day off today. I don't know what to do or where to go so I came by to visit the others. I'm also waiting for you to come. You did." Luhan's smile is what makes Minseok's heart flutter.

"Kamsahamnida!" Minseok bows.

"Wha-" Luhan is on the verge of laughing again.
 

 

 

 

They went to a nearby park. On the way there, there's not much words exchanged. Just small talks about what they did last night. Minseok is still awkward around Luhan. They sat under the shade of a big tree, eating ice cream.

"We really shouldn't be eating ice cream during this season you know." Luhan is always the one to break the ice that always form whenever they don't talk.

"Right," is the only word that Minseok says.

Their ice cream is almost finished when Minseok finally spoke.

"Uh, Luhan. Merry Christmas." Minseok is looking at Luhan straight in his eye for the first time today.

"Gosh, Minseok. Don't be too formal. We're the same age, let's be comfortable, okay? I don't bite. Even if you're a baozi I won't bite you. But of course, Merry Christmas to you too." Luhan brought the last bite of his ice cream cone near Minseok's, indicating they should cheers. Minseok did the same.

"Okay." Minseok loosened his tense body. His smile is more natural now. They both finished their ice cream. Then Minseok spoke again.

"Why am I a baozi, by the way?" Minseok asked Luhan innocently. Luhan laughed again.

"Because of your cheeks. It's so plump and white. Like a baozi. I love eating baozis in China," Luhan stated.

"How did you get here? I mean why are you in Korea?"

"I came here to study Korean. But after that, I didn't know what to do with my life anymore. I got jobs, but I'm not happy. Until I met the guys I work with now." Luhan has a bright smile on his face, remembering his past.

"..." Minseok doesn't know what to say anymore but his lips are parted like he is going to utter something.

"You. Tell me about yourself. Where do you work, for you to buy lots of toys every year?" Luhan's body is now facing Minseok.

"I work at an orphanage. I'm an orphan myself. After I graduated high school, I started working for the people who took care of me; helping other orphans with their everyday lives. The toys are for them," Minseok said brightly.

"WOW! You're incredible. I mean, you grew up without parents but look at you now. Normal just like everybody. I admire you." Minseok couldn't believe Luhan's reaction. He really didn't get why someone as beautiful as Luhan admires his life.

 

 

After a few hours of talking and getting to know each other, Minseok decided that it's time to go. It's only afternoon and both of them haven't eaten their lunch yet.

"I still need to go back. They don't know that I went out early in the morning," Minseok really didn't want to leave right now. The time of his life is already happening. He waited for two years for this. But he thought maybe this is enough for now.

"Okay. So, when will I see you again?" Luhan asks. Both are standing up; their butts sore from sitting for too long.

"I'm not sure," Minseok's expression saddens. "After Christmas, we have lots to do until next month. So I may not be able to go back before your store closes this year," Minseok feels apologetic. He still wants to spend time with Luhan.

"It's okay. I enjoyed your company and your presence these past few days. I really want to talk to you back then when I first saw you. I'm glad I finally approached you the other day. Thanks for the time, Minseok." Luhan's ever bright smile is flashing in his face.

"Thanks to you too. I really want to know you too. I want to be your friend... If that's alright with you?

"Of course, silly. We're friends now." Luhan laughs for the nth time. "So, I'll see you next year? You won't forget about me right?"

"YES! I mean, yes. Of course. I won't forget about you. You should do the same. Thanks for making me your friend. I..." Minseok is still hesitating to leave.

"It's okay. You should go now. Or the people at the orphanage will hunt you out here."

"You're right. I'm going. Take care Luhan. Merry Christmas again." Minseok starts to walk away because if not he may not leave Luhan at all.

"ANNYEONG CHINGU-YAH!!!" Luhan shouted while waving and walking backwards. Minseok is so happy that he also waves aggressively for five seconds then proceeded to run back to the orphanage.

 

 

Back at the orphanage's facility, he walks slowly going back to his room. He remembers that he asked Sehun, the youngest orphan, to cover up for him and promised him bubble tea when he get back. But he has no bubble tea. He completely forgot. That's why he is sneakily going back to his room, trying to avoid getting anyone's attention.

When he got in front of his room, he heard a door click nearby. He hurriedly opens his room to hide. What he witnessed made him want to go back to Luhan.

"Hyung. Where's my bubble tea?" Sehun is in front of him, holding the water gun toy he got last night, targeting to shoot him. He regrets buying that for him.

All the other children that he is close to are inside his room, playing their new toys. Imagine ten young boys having the time of their life in one tiny room.

"S-sorry. Hyung forgot." Sehun fires at him and everywhere in the room, making Minseok slightly wet. That triggers the other boys to come at him too. Leaving Minseok helpless.

"Hyung." Yifan, the oldest out of the bunch, started to talk. "You should have just come to me."

"Right. I should have."