He's Home

Growing Up

Kyungsoo sat at the table with a bored look on his face. He traced the lines and crevices on the table top. Jongin had been gone for two years now, and Kyungsoo missed him dearly. He heard soft footsteps making their way toward him in the kitchen and took a deep breath, for he knew who was coming.

“Kyungsoo, sweetie, I have some news that I think you’ll like to hear.” His mother said from the kitchen entry way. Sighing silently, Kyungsoo put a small smile on his lips and turned to his mother.

“Yes mom?” He asked in a small voice. Ever since Jongin left, Kyungsoo had felt as though his parents were trying too hard to be a close family without Jongin. Kyungsoo hated this because he was always closer to Jongin than his parents. Not to say that he didn’t love his parents, because he did, he just tended to push them away; they could never be Jongin.

“Jongin’s coming home today. We’re picking him up in about a half an hour.” She said, a smile dancing on her pale lips. Standing up slowly, Kyungsoo tried to contain his excitement.

“Really?” He asked shakily. When his mother nodded, he raced to her side, knocking over his chair in the process.

“Mama! I’m so happy!” Kyungsoo yelled. He wrapped his little 8-year-old arms around his mother’s waist and squeezed.When he let go, he jumped up and down in his place. He then ran around the house in joy. He flew up the stairs and flung the door to Jongin’s room.

“Jongin’s coming! Jongin’s coming!” He yelled into the empty room. Closing the door, he squealed in delight. He came down the stairs and straight into the kitchen. Suddenly, he stopped in his tracks. His eyes opened wide and he had to blink rapidly, not believing what he saw.

“Hiya Kyungsoo~” Jongin said with a graceful smile upon his full lips. He hopped off the kitchen counter, holding his arms out for his little brother. Kyungsoo looked at Jongin for a moment, his short hair, his tired eyes. Jongin could be resting from his long trip, but he wanted to be here to greet his little brother.

“Hyung…” Kyungsoo’s eyes filled with tears as he ran to hug his brother. Jongin smiled warmly as Kyungsoo hugged him tightly, greeting him the same way as when Jongin said goodbye.

“Why are you crying, Soo?” Jongin asked him. Kyungsoo just smiled at him, the tears had stopped running from his big eyes.

“Because you finally came home!” Kyungsoo exclaimed with a shaky giggle. Jongin smiled and squeezed Kyungsoo tightly once more.

~~~

Jongin sat on the couch with a sleepy Kyungsoo on his lap, it was way past Kyungsoo’s bedtime but Kyungsoo was refusing to sleep since he wanted to catch up on everything with his brother.

 

“Kyungsoo?” Jongin called sweetly

 

“Yes, Hyung?” Kyungsoo answered, sleep hanging in his voice

 

“Would you like to live with me in my new apartment?” Kyungsoo’s face lit up at the question, smiling brightly.

 

“Of course I would!” Jongin nods, smiling back.

 

“Okay, you’ll have to pack your stuff tomorrow. I’ve already cleared everything with Mom and Dad, so we’re good to go.”

 

“Will I have my own room?” Kyungsoo asks excitedly

 

“Of course, Soo,” Jongin leans down and kisses Kyungsoo’s forehead. “You know, school is starting soon.”

 

“Ugh, I don’t want to Hyung, I want to hang out with you everyday.” Jongin chuckles.

 

 

“What if I take you and pick you up everyday?”

 

“I guess I could bare it then, possibly,” Kyungsoo yawns.

“Let’s get you to bed,” Jongin easily picks up the slumberous child. Kyungsoo just nods, accepting his defeat.   

~~~

It was early in the morning as the family packages Kyungsoo’s belongings into the moving truck they had rented. Kyungsoo struggled with trying to get his favorite bean bag chair into the truck but Jongin had took it from him quickly, seeing as it was too heavy for the little boy.

 

Jongin and his father did most of the work as Kyungsoo watched excitedly, snuggling his stuffed animal. He couldn’t wait to be living with Jongin. Kyungsoo began daydreaming about how much fun Jongin and him would have in their apartment, he’d finally be alone with his favorite person.

Jongin looked at Kyungsoo, smiling since he shared the same excitement.

 

“Kyungsoo,” He called, bringing Kyungsoo from his daydream. Kyungsoo looked up, acknowledging Jongin.

 

“It’s time to go,” Jongin smiled widely. Kyungsoo ran to the truck, gripping the door handle and trying to open it. His family laughed lightly, happy to see their baby boy delighted.

 

“Jongin, I know you’ll take great care of your little brother,” Jongin’s mother said, tears filling her eyes. His

father nodded, tears threatening to spill from his eyes as well.

 

“Thank you, Mom, thank you, Dad,” Jongin hugged both of his parents tightly. “Kyungsoo, come give Mom and Dad a hug!”

 

Kyungsoo hurried over to his parents and hugged them, dropping his stuffed animal in the process. “I love you!”

 

“We love you too, Kyungsoo,” His parents said in unison.Kyungsoo picked up his stuffed animal and walked over to Jongin.

 

Jongin picked up Kyungsoo and placed him in the truck. He waved to his parents one more time before getting in. Jongin started the truck and looked over at Kyungsoo who was practically bouncing in his seat. Kyungsoo looked back and smiled widely at Jongin.

 

“We aren’t going out of town are we, Hyung?” Kyungsoo asked

 

“Oh, no, I’d like to stay in the same town,” Jongin answered

 

“Me too, I don’t wanna stay too far away from Mom and Dad.”

 

“I know you don’t, Kyungsoo,” Jongin ruffled Kyungsoo’s hair, keeping his eyes on the road.

 

“Is the apartment big?” Kyungsoo was full of questions.

 

“It’s nicely sized.”

 

“How did you afford it?”

 

“We aren’t exactly poor, Kyungsoo.”  

 

“So, Mom and Dad payed for it?”

 

“Not all of it, they did help though.”

 

“Are you rich, Hyung?” Jongin chuckled.

 

“By no means am I rich, but I plan on taking good care of you with my own money.”

Kyungsoo nodded, thinking about how he had the best brother ever.

 

“How long will it take to get there?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“About twenty minutes, a little far, I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine, I like sitting and talking with you, Hyung,” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

“Me too, Kyungsoo.”

~~~

The boys had arrived to their destination. A large building stood in front of them. Kyungsoo studied the building with wide eyes, wondering how nice the apartment would look on the inside.

Jongin opened the truck and sighed, luckily Kyungsoo didn’t have a lot so it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle. Jongin thought he should show Kyungsoo the apartment, of course, he had already seen it.

 

“Kyungsoo, would you look to see the inside?” Jongin called to the dazed boy. Kyungsoo turned around and nodded quickly and began running to the front doors of the building. Jongin ran to catch up with him.

 

Once Kyungsoo walked through the doors, he looked around the small but nice lobby, his eyes landed on the elevator.

 

“I wanna press the button, Hyung!” Kyungsoo exclaimed. For some reason, children enjoyed pressing the elevator buttons. Kyungsoo quickly pressed the ‘Up’ button, and waited for the elevator. The elevator doors opened and both boys entered the compacted space. “Which floor, Hyung?”

 

“Seven,” Jongin answered. Kyungsoo pressed the button and noticed there were ten floors.

 

“We’re close to the top,” Kyungsoo stated.

 

“Yes, we are,” Jongin smiled. The elevator dinged indicating they had reached their floor and the doors opened. They both got out and made their way to the apartment. Jongin directed Kyungsoo to the correct apartment and opened the door with his key. The boys walked into the apartment and Kyungsoo gasped. As they walked into the apartment there was a kitchen on the left side of the room opening up to a living room and dining area, down the hall were two large bedrooms, plenty room for both boys.

 

“It’s so nice, Hyung!” Kyungsoo exclaimed.

 

“I’m glad you like it, Soo,” Jongin smiled.

~~~

It took a while but Jongin had gotten all of Kyungsoo’s things into his room. Kyungsoo looked around his room in awe, admiring everything about it. The large window let in the light, making the room bright and beautiful.

 

“Thank you, thank you, Hyung!” Kyungsoo squealed and hugged Jongin.

 

“I hope you like it~.” Jongin grinned, happy with his work.

 

“I do, I really love it.” Kyungsoo began gazing at his new room again.

~~~

Both boys sat on the couch, watching whatever was on TV. They were both quite tired but wanted to just enjoy each other’s company. Jongin looked at the clock, it was later than he thought. He looked at Kyungsoo who was already dozing off.

 

“Lets go to bed, yeah Soo?” Jongin said quietly. Kyungsoo nodded sleepily. Jongin chuckled and lifted Kyungsoo into his arms. He walked down the hall and placed Kyungsoo in his bed. Kyungsoo snuggled into his bed, a smile on his sleeping face.