Chap 1

Let's Go

The night is young and the waves are harsh as Kim Woobin walks beside the ocean.

He has his hands in his pockets and he's letting the wind blow in his face. He has cuts on the corners of his lips and he his lips. He wasn't as lucky today as he was on usual days.

He looks to the blue waves just as he hears a mix of sounds he had heard too much.

He looks over to the dark corner of the cement and sighs.

Another poor bastard getting his kicked.

Woobin strolls toward them, attempting to get by without trouble.

They wore the school uniforms from his school but the kid they were beating wore a navy blue uniform.
 

"Yah-Yah. Isn't that Kim Woobin?" One of the three bullies said, tapping his friend's shoulder. They turned and saw Woobin approaching.
 

"Shoot. Let's get out of here."
 

Woobin continued walking and kept his distance. He would kick their butts for ganging up on one skinny kid but it wasn't worth it. Woobin took a moment to stop and look at the kid.

The latter got up limply and looked up at his savior. A smile flashed on his face then Woobin turned away and continued walking.
 

"Yah!" 

Woobin heard a raspy yell from behind him but didn't stop moving.

"Yah! Wait up!"

Woobin felt a hand on his shoulder and stopped.

He grabbed the hand and threw it down.
 

"Don't touch me." Woobin grumbled, then he started walking again. He was almost to the road when he heard the kid's voice again.
 

"Thank you!!" 

Woobin exhaled from his nose then walked home.
 

.....

 

The next day after school, Woobin was making his way through the halls when someone shoved him into the lockers. He smirked once he saw who it was.
 

"Kim Woobin. We have unsettled business-" 

Woobin socked the latter in the face, making him stumble to the floor.
 

"Don't touch me." Woobin growled.

His enemy sneered and got back up, only to be kicked down again by Woobin.

There was a group of students gathered around them by now.

Woobin kept the kid pinned on the ground.
 

"Do you think making a scene at school is going to make me come back?" Woobin said as he drilled his foot into the latter's chest, the other holding it to prevent some pressure.
 

"You're a piece of ! We'd never want you back-!"

Woobin stomped on his chest hard but not hard enough to break a bone.
 

"What's happening here!!?" A teacher shouted down the hall.

Woobin scoffed and glared down at the boy he had just punched.
 

"Fun getting me busted, huh?"

 

The boy below him grinned.
 

"You've no idea."
 

.....

 

Lee Jongsuk approached his old, broken down shack.

He carried his backpack on his back with both straps and wrapped a hand around the rusty doorknob to the front door. He closed his eyes then breathed in as he slowly turned the knob.
 

"One. Two. Three." Then he pushed. His face immediately darkened when he opened his eyes to an old, ashy door.

As expected.

He turned his back to his home and walked all the way back to school.

He climbed the dozens of stairs until he was finally on the rooftop. He could see the white stars that he could never reach and the city lights that glowed. He settled on the cold cement floor and took his backpack off, placing it beside him. He lie his head on it and closed his eyes, hugging himself.

Another cold, lonely night.
 

.....

 

"Aish." Jongsuk stood outside his classroom.

Class 3.

He doesn't want to go in at the moment. He feels dizzy and his body was sore from sleeping on the rooftop again that night.
 

"Lee Jongsuk!"
 

"Ah!" Jongsuk jumped and made a full turn. He bowed. "Ah. Teach. You gave me quite a shock."
 

"Aish. Just go in already." His teacher said, gently nudging the side of his head.
 

"Yes, Teach." He opened the door and walked to his seat, dodging all his classmates.

 

The ruckus in the class died down as the teacher made his way to the stand in front.

 

"Attention. Bow." Everyone bowed.
 

"Alright. Now listen closely. We have a transfer student from Kibum High. So let's be supportive." The teacher looked to the door and nodded. "Come on in."

Woobin sighed and stepped in.

If not for that loser, he wouldn't have been transferred to this low school.

He didn't spare a look at his new classroom members as he made his way to the stand. He stopped beside the stand and turned to the class, looking above their heads and at the back wall.
 

"Don't be shy and introduce yourself." The teacher suggested.

Woobin drew in a breath, making everyone hold their breaths, then exhaled through his nose, disappointing everyone.
 

"Kim Woobin." He smirked. "Good luck."
 

"AAAHHHH!!" The girls squealed. Woobin made his way to the back but halted when he met eyes with Jongsuk. Jongsuk flashed the same smile he did last night.
 

"Woobin. You're seat is over there beside Lee Jongsuk." The teacher said. Woobin looked away from Jongsuk and sat in the seat furthest from him. "Umm. Okay. You can sit there instead. Alright. Let's start..."
 

Jongsuk peered over at Woobin.

 

Then again

 

and again

 

and again

 

and again...until Woobin was fed up with it.

Woobin turned his head to meet Jongsuk's eye. Jongsuk smiled and held up a hand. Woobin motioned his head to the front, trying to tell him to listen to the teacher.
 

"Really?" Jongsuk mouthed with wide, bright eyes. Woobin sighed and turned back to the front, tuning everything but his own breathing out.
 

The bell rung and everyone seemed to have "something urgent to attend to", their teacher would say, as they dashed out the doors.

Everyone left except Woobin and Jongsuk.

Jongsuk grabbed his backpack and rushed to Woobin. Woobin had already gotten up from his seat and started for the back door.
 

"Woobin-Woobin! Wait up!" Woobin sighed and walked out the door, ignoring the latter. Jongsuk put a hand on Woobin's shoulder, making Woobin open his mouth and his teeth.

Woobin snatched Jongsuk's hand and twisted it.
 

"Ah-ahhh." Jongsuk breathed.
 

"Don't touch me." Woobin said sternly then let go of his hand. He put his hands in his pocket and continued walking.

Jongsuk ran up in front of him and walked backward so he could see Woobin.
 

"What did you want to talk to me about?" Woobin pushed Jongsuk out of his way.
 

"Never said that."
 

"But." Jongsuk caught up to Woobin again, this time walking beside him with a decent distance. "But you motioned your head like this." Jongsuk copied Woobin's head motion from earlier. Woobin ignored him and kept walking but was stopped with a hand on his chest.

Woobin loosened his jaw and looked up to see what he had been expecting to see.
 

"Heyyy. Kim. Woo. Bin. Am I right?" A boy said in a mocking tone. Jongsuk bit his finger nervously and stood behind Woobin. Woobin smirked.

 

"I was wondering when you'd show, Jung. Taek. Woon." Woobin said in a calmer tone. Taekwoon scoffed.

 

"Surround this jerk."

Hyunwoo, Junhyung, and Nickhun moved to form a diamond around the two.

 

They pushed Jongsuk back-and-forth.
 

"Yah. . I wanted to give you a fair warning." Taekwoon pulled in to Woobin's ear. "I'm the boss around this place so make sure you shake every time I walk by. Alright?" He patted Woobin's chest with force.

Woobin sneered, making Taekwoon's eyes blaze. He tugged Woobin's shirt collar.
 

"What's so funny, punk?" Taekwoon questioned behind clenched teeth. Woobin looked Taekwoon right in the eye.

 

"Is there any reason to shake before you?"
 

"Why you-"
 

"Unless you shake the ground when you pass by, I'm afraid that's impossible."
 

"You little rascal. You're in no position to say that." Taekwoon warned. Woobin sighed and looked over to the side. Taekwoon's eyes switched and landed on Jongsuk.
 

"Where's my money. Did I not tell you to make sure you brought it today?" He said, holding out his hand. Jongsuk let out a breath and reached in his pocket.
 

"You're going to listen to him?"

 

Jongsuk stopped all actions and looked up at the side of Woobin's face.
 

"Well..." Jongsuk started.

 

Woobin smacked Taekwoon's hand.
 

"Get out of here. Before I start something." Woobin warned. Taekwoon scoffed.
 

"Start something. If we're starting something, I'll be the one to start it." He bumped into Woobin's shoulder and pushed Jongsuk as he walked through them. "Let's go."
 

"Bye, Sukkie~!"
 

Woobin scoffed.
 

"Sukkie." He shook his head and started walking out the building. Jongsuk hurried behind him.
 

"Wow! How did you do that? Weren't you afraid of them?" Woobin groaned. "I've been fighting them off for years but it hasn't worked. Then you come and just talk them away...wait that doesn't sound right."

Jongsuk stopped and thought.

"Then you come and just...Aish. I'm really out of words."

He scratched his head and looked to the floor.

"Then you come and...talk your way out of it!"

He raised his head.

"Eh? Woobin?"

He looked around for Woobin but there was no sign of him so he groaned and started home. He ended up sleeping on the school's rooftop again that night.

His dad never came home and he didn't trust Jongsuk with the key.
 

Jongsuk was a dumb and incompetent life form, according to him.
 

"Aish. Why didn't I grab a jacket from home last week?" He grumbled to himself.
 

.....

 

"Kim Woobin. What is the answer to problem 24-6?" The math teacher asked. Woobin didn't answer and stared at his desk. "Mr. Kim. Answer the question."
 

"No."

 

The teacher paused.
 

"No?"
 

"Sir, I personally think math is incompetent to my learning. I will have no means of using such subject."

The teacher scoffed and gritted his teeth as he leaned against the podium.
 

"Don't we all think math is the key to logic?"
 

"No."

 

The teacher glared at him.
 

"Then what is the key to logic, Mr. Kim?" Woobin kept his mouth shut and leaned back with a sigh.
"Just as I thought. You don't-"
 

"Reality."
 

"Pardon me?"

 

Woobin took in a breath.
 

"The key to logic is the use of reality. Reality includes all things such as gravity, pain, and the properties of life. Even the equation 2+5 is reality because, we all know that said equation equals seven and not ten. Am I wrong?"

The teacher huffed.
 

"Woah. He's so cool-"
 

"Shut it!!!" The class went silent. "Kim Woobin."
 

"Yes, sir?"
 

"If you do not think this class is relevant to your learning. Be my guest, and leave." He ended, with a grin.

Woobin sighed and stood, a few gasps were audible. He turned to the door and disappeared within a matter of seconds.
 

The teacher sighed as Jongsuk raised his hand.
 

"What, Jongsuk?"
 

"May I leave too-?"
 

"NO!! You have the lowest grades in this class so think twice before asking me to leave this classroom again!"

Jongsuk flinched.

He stared out the door the rest of the class period.
 

DING! DING!
 

The lunch bell rang and everyone scattered. Jongsuk hurried to the line to get his food and once he did, he went to the rooftop where he always ate.

He was overjoyed when he spotted Woobin there as well.
 

"Kim Woobin!"

Woobin groaned and dropped his head. He stood overlooking the school with his hands in his pockets. Jongsuk ran up next to him with his lunch in hand.

"Yah. Why'd you speak up against the teacher like that? He's not an easy teacher to get along with but you kind of started it." Jongsuk said.

Woobin clenched his fists.

Jongsuk was lucky that his hands were in his pockets.

"Are you not eating?" Jongsuk askeed. Woobin looked to the opposite direction the annoying kid was standing. "Well. I've been wanting to thank you for saving me that night. I'm truly thankful."
 

"I didn't save you, kid. And if I did, I never should have." Woobin said.
 

"Um. Well..." Jongsuk mumbled and stared at his food.

He didn't feel like eating anymore.
 

BAM!
 

They both looked at the door. He really didn't feel like eating anymore.

Lost of appetite.
 

"Ha. You two again." Taekwoon said, smirking. He made small circles with his index finger, signaling his friends to surround them.
 

"Aish." Woobin groaned. Jongsuk held on to Woobin's sleeve, immediately being slapped off. Taekwoon stood right at Woobin's feet.
 

"Why don't you go eat something, ? You seem starved." He said mockingly. Woobin clicked his tongue and stepped in closer to Taekwoon.
 

"Why don't you feed me, then?" Woobin suggested, smirking.

 

Taekwoon got in his face.
 

"I'd kindly feed you my fist but..." He turned his attention to Jongsuk and smirked.

He snatched Jongsuk's tray and shoved it into Woobin's arms.

"I see food right here. Why don't you have some?" Taekwoon suggested. Woobin scoffed and grabbed the tray in his hand.

He walked over to the edge of the roof, pushing Hyunwoo aside. He dropped the food off the roof then put his hand back in his pocket.
 

"Aren't you hungry too? I've got some leftovers down where you belong. Would you like some?" Woobin said mockingly as he made his way back to Taekwoon. Taekwoon sneered and stepped forward.
 

"You-Yah! Coward!" Taekwoon yelled as Woobin snatched Jongsuk's wrist and ran to the edge of the roof. Woobin let go.
 

"Follow my every move." Then Woobin jumped over and onto the decoration of the building. He jumped down the block-like edges of the decoration then swung himself into an open window. He peered back out.
"Come on! Let's go!"

Jongsuk's mouth hung open.

There was no way he could do that. He was too feebly, but the closer Taekwoon's gang got to him, the less he felt feebly. He finally got the gut to jump just as Junhyung was about to grab him.

Taekwoon kicked the door open.
 

"Let's meet him down there."
 

Jongsuk had just mustered the strength to swing himself into certain death but he saw Taekwoon's head from the window. He stayed put and waited. And waited,

and waited,

and waited.
 

"Yah! Children! Get out! You're not allowed in the teacher's lounge!" Jongsuk felt a sigh of relief then he waited a while longer; the bell rang.

He then stood and swung himself to the window, almost dying of a heart attack in the process.

He walked with wobbly legs to class 3.

He opened the door and saw that Woobin's seat was empty. He caught the teacher's eye and slowly closed the door.
 

"Oops. My bad. Wrong class-"
 

"Lee Jongsuk!!" He winced and opened the door.
 

"Yes, teacher of class 3 that I do not attend?" The teacher gave him lame eyes.
 

"Go to your seat!" Jongsuk groaned and sulked to his seat.
 

School had just gotten out and Jongsuk had decided to go home again. It's just that he couldn't so he slept on the rooftop again.

His neighborhood was not safe to sleep in.