Lay really likes noodles

Dancing In Your Sleep

“Next time” certainly took longer to come around than they hoped, with both competing in SM’s next competition. They focused on their routines and only gave each other apologetic looks as they passed each other in the hallways.

However, that didn’t stop them from texting each other, nervously, almost every day. It started with a ‘good morning’ once they were awake and it followed them to lunch or to the studio.

On this particular day, Lay found himself in front of Seoul’s School of Arts, in awe and completely lost. Tao had texted him to meet him and Kris for lunch, since they were currently busy putting together their joint runway project for class. The two fashion majors were incredibly into their work and it would be hard to drag them away from the studio.

That is, if Lay knew how to get there. The campus was definitely stunning, four large buildings surrounding a lush green quad, but Lay had never stepped a foot into the campus.

“Let’s see.” He mumbled. “Just go to the closest building and start from there?”

He was about to take another step when a familiar voice shouted, “HYUUUUUUUNG!!! WAIT UP!!”

Startled, he looked to his right to see a breathless Kai run up… and past him. Kai backtracked, skidding to a halt and running back to Lay.

“Lay hyung! I didn’t see you. What are you doing here?” Kai beamed puzzledly. Lay shrugged.

“Hello Kai. I’m trying to find someone.” Lay explained. “I’ve never been on campus though.”

“Oh! I’d show you around but I currently promised- KYUNGSOO HYUNG! PLEASE WAIT FOR ME!!” Kai suddenly turned around to a short, glaring boy that was standing at the entrance of the left building.

“If you don’t hurry up, I will find another dance student to help me with this stupid freaking project.” The short boy (Kyungsoo, Kai had called him) threatened. Kai’s eyes widened. Obviously Kyungsoo wasn’t joking around.

“Try the second building from the right hyung! On the third floor! KYUNGSOO I’M COMING!” Kai flung an arm up to the building before dashing off. “See you later!”

Lay furrowed his brow at the strange boy, but turned to the building Kai had pointed to, one of the biggest ones on campus.

“How did he know who I was looking for?”

In the end Lay decided to head to the building, since it was more of a lead than anything else he had to rely on. He ignored the gaggles of chattering students inside the halls as he carefully climbed the stairs to the third floor.

This hallway was quieter, and Lay slowed his pace considerably. Most doors were closed with little to no sound escaping. Lay reached the end of the hallway. He decided that, according to the decorative music note boards, Kai had sent him to the wrong building. And he would’ve headed straight back downstairs if it weren’t for the open door and the voice that carried out into the hallway.

It was a Korean song, so Lay couldn’t understand much of the lyrics. Those mattered the least to him. He focused instead on the guy’s voice. It was high and sweet, like clear water and sunlight. Curious as to who was singing, he peeked inside.

Suho stood at a grand piano in the center of the room. His eyes were shut in concentration as the melodious words floated out of his mouth. An older man played the piano, nodding calmly as Suho sang with energy.

Lay stood, transfixed for what felt only like five seconds when someone tapped his shoulder with great impatience. He turned around to see a girl, scowling, behind him.

What are you looking at?” She snapped. Lay mumbled a confused apology and started walking back down the hallway. Behind him, he heard the girl shout “Suho oppa!” He turned to see the girl break into a smile and run into the open room. Oh. The piano halted suddenly and Lay felt the keys crash into his heart. Of course. He was right, after all.

His phone buzzed with a message from Kris: Did you get lost? We’re waiting at the gate right now.

When Lay stepped outside, Tao waved energetically next to their taller blonde roommate. “What were you doing in the music building?” Tao asked once Lay had walked over. “Do you know a music major?”

Lay shrugged. “I got lost. I thought I could find your classroom.”

“You’ve never been on campus though.” Kris pointed out. “No offense, but you’re pretty good at getting lost, even if you know the place. How could you have found the studio?”

“Hey, don’t be mean.” Tao pouted. “We’ve told him the classroom number. He just got the wrong building!” Kris rolled his eyes.

“Hey, stop it. Next time I’ll just wait at the gate for you.” Lay resolved. Tao nodded, then looked carefully at Lay’s face.

“Are you okay?” He asked. “You look upset.” Kris raised his eyebrows quizzically.

“I’m fine.” Lay replied. “But I was right, you know.”

“About what?”
    “Suho’s uality.”

There was a moment of silence. Then, “OH MY GOD DID YOU TRY TO KISS HIM?!?!?!”

“WHAT? NO.”

“Oh.” Tao was silent. Kris looked at him questioningly. “Oh yeah Kris! You never met Lay’s crush.”

“DID YOU JUST HEAR A WORD I SAID-”

“Lay had a crush? Was he good looking?” Kris asked.

“ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING-”

“He was soooooooooo hot!” Tao gushed. Lay gurgled and waved his hands at him. Tao ignored him.

“Lay.” Kris got his attention. “Did he state that he didn’t like guys?”

“No?”

“Did he sound repulsed by the idea of two guys together?”

“No.”

“So why do you think he’s straight?” Kris finally asked.

“He’s got a girlfriend.”

“Speak up, sweetheart.” Tao demanded.

“He’s got a girlfriend.” Lay said, a bit louder.

“I’M GONNA KILL THAT SON OF A BI- KRIS LET GO OF ME.”

“Y’know, he could still be biual.” Kris told Lay. “Or panual.”

“He’s still taken, Kris.” Lay reminded him.

“Right. Well, that .” Kris commented sympathetically. He was still holding onto Tao’s arm. Tao had managed to weave himself under Kris’ arm and was still struggling. Hard. “We should eat now. You ready Tao?”

“NO, LEMME AT THE GUY.”

“He’s not even outside.” Kris frowned. “C’mon Lay, let’s go to that noodle shop that you like.”

Lay nodded and followed Kris, ignoring Tao’s protests.


GUESS WHO'S THE WORST AT UPDATING

THAT'S RIGHT

THIS PERSON

Please subscribe and comment!

xoxo Lucy Louis Lee