Lay's mother secretly knows Kai's father

Dancing In Your Sleep

Once they neared the arcade, Tao wheedled some money out of Lay and took off, wanting to try some of the newer games they had. Which, of course, left Lay and Suho alone. Lay was slightly bewildered at this.

Suho, on the other hand, merely turned to Lay with a smile and said, “So, what would you like to play?”

They played a couple of different racing games together, Suho insisting on paying and Lay occasionally paying himself (he wasn’t going to let Suho treat him the entire time, he reasoned). They ended up playing Dance Dance Revolution for a majority of the remainder of the day. It was a funny sight, two dance students laughing and tripping over their own feet despite trying their best. Lay couldn’t help but feel relaxed, smiling easily and laughing.

“So how long have you been here?” Suho asked while he watched Lay play PacMan later in the day. They eventually stopped playing DDR because they got exhausted. “I mean, you said before you were from Changsha.”

“I’ve been here for about five months.” Lay replied, frowning when he got killed by the red ghost, before turning to Suho. “I was studying medicine, and I applied for a study abroad in the US, but they rejected me. Another abroad chance came around for Seoul, so I figured why not? It’s not like I can try again for the next US trip.”

“That’s too bad. The whole US thing, I mean.” Suho sympathized, handing over a few more game tokens to finish the game.

Lay shrugged. “Their loss.” He said with a grin. Suho’s eyes crinkled and he nodded with a chuckle and a grin.

“But you managed to wow SM in under five months.” Suho let out a slow whistle. “That’s amazing. You must be some dancer.”

Lay smiled and shrugged. “Sort of. My mother knew someone in the studio and sent them some videos of my performances. They called me since the studio is just a block away from my school and told me I should sign up. It was really embarrassing to hear that my mother did that, but she always wanted me to dance, no matter where I was.”

“That’s still very impressive.” Suho remarked. Lay blushed and hit the wrong button. The yellow fellow on the screen died again. “Want to play again?”

Lay shook his head. “Let’s go see what else there is.” He suggested.

Later, when they were playing air hockey against each other, Lay asked Suho. “So, how did you get into SM?”

Suho gave him a sheepish look. “I pestered them with performance videos from high school until I auditioned.” He paused. “I don’t think I would’ve gotten in if it weren’t for Kai.”

“Why?”

“His dad is Kim Jongin.”

“Wait.” Lay froze and looked at Suho. “Director Kim?! The head of SM?!”

Suho laughed. “Yeah. His family is like, super into the performing arts. I’m really lucky that Sehun introduced me to him, since they were a few grades below me. I’m actually surprised he’s still considering us as friends.”

Lay was still frozen from shock, not registering Suho’s muttering about Kai and being friends. After a moment he whispered, “Oh my god I could have been kicked out.”

“What?!” Suho looked at him with wide eyes. “How?!”

“I was asleep when Kai first saw me. Oh my god, I must’ve looked so lazy!” Lay moaned. He slid down and sat on the floor, covering his face with his hands. Suho’s face changed to a look of relief.

“Don’t worry. Everyone knows you’re a hard worker.” Suho explained. “We had only heard about you before since you take classes at different times, but I can guarantee you everyone in the room when you were asleep knew it was a well-deserved break. One person wanted to leave you in there all day! But Xiumin said you had a class and there was no way Kai was willing to miss his, so…”

Lay peeked at him between his fingers. Suho was leaning over him with a warm smile. “Come on, let’s find that galactic game you were looking for.”

“In a moment. I’m still mortified.” Lay mumbled. Suho nodded and leaned against the hockey table contentedly. After a moment Lay raised his hand, which Suho gladly took and pulled Lay up.

Tao found them playing Galaga (the ‘galactic’ game Suho mentioned) and moaned to Lay that he was hungry and that Kris had promised takeout was on him tonight. Suho waved them off when Lay invited him, saying that he probably had homework to work on and they should have fun by themselves.

Tao teasingly wrapped his arm around Lay’s shoulder once they were walking away from the mall. “Y’know, I think it’s nice that you’re making friends.

Lay glared at him. “I have friends that aren’t you guys.”

Tao hummed. “So did you guys kiss or what?” Lay spluttered. “I’ll take that as a no. Did you at least get his number?

Are you kidding me?” Lay frowned. “First of all, I barely know him, and second of all, he looks straight. With a girlfriend.

He doesn’t look straight. He looks Yixing-ual.” Tao winked.

That’s not a thing Tao. If he’s not straight, he could be aual.” Lay rolled his eyes and pushed Tao away.

Auals still date, sweetheart. I think the term you were going for is aromantic. Which he isn’t, hey!” Tao dropped his arm (and, Lay hoped, the topic, but it was all for naught). “I’m calling bets on Yixing-ual for this one. I think Yifan would agree.

That’s not even a thing.” Lay insisted.

It is. You must be blind to not see the people that almost instantly change when they see you.

No? That’s not true.” Lay said. “If anything, you and Kris have the most admirers.”

Bzzzzz! Wrong. I’d fall for you but you have that creepy unicorn going on so, ew.” Tao sighed dramatically.

It’s not a , it’s just a deep interest in them. They’re amazing creatures!” Lay retorted. “Besides, I don’t hear you complaining about Yifan’s thing with dragons. The guy’s convinced he is one!”

Tao ignored him. “Damnit Yixing, if you don’t get this guy, I’ll take him.” He threatened.

Lay rolled his eyes. “Nice try. He’s not your type and you know it.

Fine. Such a shame.” Tao sighed again. “I should warn him about your unicorn thing though.

“ZITAO!”

Lay decided he took back the thanks he gave Tao for this shopping trip.


Oh my god I'm alive.

So excuses?? Mostly midterms, but with all the snow days I got with the New England weather I shouldn't really be complaining. Anyways, I ran into a minor writing block while writing this but it's all dealt with.

I also added some tags, if you've noticed. Yup, more ships will be added in like the next two chapters (if all goes according to plan). Hehehehe

I'm so happy you guys like this! Thank you so much

xoxo Lucy Louis Lee