6

Letter to the Editor

Suho found his luggage downstairs in a corner and it was muddier than he remembered. Of course, he thought, did I really expect anyone to carry that hundred pound bag up the stairs? The bottom floor of the house was as simple as the top, but it was filled with a homecooking smell that made him hungry for food he had never even tried. He kept thinking about the picture of Jongdae smiling and had hope that there was a chance for resolve between them. Jongdae was in the kitchen too, rummaging through the cabinets for some spice he knew was back there, and still had not put on a shirt. Another boy similar in age was at the table and stopped mid-swallow to stare at Suho. 

"Where's Baekhyun? He wasn't in the room," Suho said, addressing Jongdae. 

Jongdae heard him but he didn't answer. The boy at the table with gentler features sighed as a form of apology for his friend. 

"He said he wanted to go to the beach. Xiumin took him." Chen's speech was curt. 

Suho nodded like he knew who Xiumin was. Jongdae was staring at him and he didn't like it. His appetite was gone. There was no trace on Jongdae's face that he showed he had smiled throughout his life, no lines or creases to mark the laughter and happiness. Suho knew he himself had them. He touched his face briefly just to make sure. They had become lighter as a result of recent stress but he definitely had them. Looking up closer in the light, Looking closer at him in the light, Suho saw that the things that had gotten the most use on Jongdae's face were his eyes. He didn't know he could tell but they looked used and tired. There were no bags to speak of under them, but they looked exhausted. 

"I want to go to the beach too," said Suho. 

"Then go," Jongdae told him, holidng a plate of breakfast in one hand and pointing towards the open front door with the other. 

"Can you take me?"

"Lay can take you," Jongdae said and the boy at the table with the gentler featured look at the both of them very uncomfortably. 

"I'm going to go clean the bedrooms," Lay said in a soft voice. Jongdae did not break eye contact with Suho as Lay quickly excused himself, even when he set his plate down noisily on the counter. Suho tried to look unphased of the clamor. 

"Please, I don't know the way." Even Suho knew that they were surrounded by beach. If he stepped out the back way, his feet would be in the sand. But he was determined to spend time with Chen to see that smile for himself, just once. 

"I know where Luhan took Baekhyun. Just follow me," Jongdae finally said. "This counts as your tour for the day, just so you know."

Suho got so excited that he clapped and felt very stupid afterwards. Like he expected though, Jongdae ignored him.

"Well, tomorrow can you take me to that waterfall in the woods?"

"No."

"I'll pay you."

"You think I want your money? No, I won't take you there. The only place I'm taking you is off the island."

"Why are you like this? Like, why are you so bitter? I'm not trying to hurt you."

"But you are."

"How? Why are you so serious? It's annoying. Fine, if you don't want to talk to me, then fine. I'll just talk to myself."

Junmyeon commented on everything he saw, and Jongdae didn't crack. 

"Wow these flowers are so beautiful. Are they annual or perennial? Honestly, I don't even know what that means, ha. What about that tree. It looks ancient. Oh! There's a face in it! I'm taking a picture, wait for me."

Instead of stopping, Jongdae began to walk faster. 

"Ok, ok. I'll come back to you, wise-man-tree. Berries! Good, because I didn't get to eat breakfast."

The bush was heavy with fruit, red and plump. Junmyeon plucked off a bunch of the biggest and the juciest he could find. Jongdae suddenly ran back to him and smacked them out of his hand. He didn't speak but gave Suho a stern look. 

"You do care!" Suho exclaimed. 

"You do know that you could've just died," Jongdae said tiredly. 

"You saved me."

"That's twice now. Last night I should've just let you fall asleep there in the middle of the street. Should've let the leopards take you home instead."

"Why didn't you?"

They were walking side by side now, and Suho was looking at Chen's face intently. There was no difference in their strides, and they both held their heads so high. Jongdae sighed. Suho was only human, he thought to himself. Maybe they were all just trying to do their best. He had a story, and he had his own world too. Jongdae was convinced that they were supposed to remain separate, but like his father had said, he wanted to show off his treasure. Still, he had to preserve his pride.

"I do what the village chief tells me to."

"Your dad? How old are you? 22 or 23? Don't you have your own life?"

"I protect the town. That's my life. Why do you have so many questions?"

Suho was used to the fast paced banter present in any city setting. He had mastered the quick thinking that allowed him to have something to say to everything. He never ran out of words. The only time he had felt an absence of speech was earlier on the balcony overlooking the water. And when he saw Jongdae's smile. 

"I have a lot I want to know." 

Suho had been completely wrapped up by Susido. He had been chewed and swallowed, and it had no intention of spitting him out. 

 

///////

Tell me what you think! And as always, thank you for reading :-)