3

Letter to the Editor

When Jongdae arrived home, his legs sore from hours of tedious pedaling, he found his father at the table, unscathed.

 

“Where were you?” he asked loudly, letting out all of the worry and frustration that had built up throughout the day. He didn’t notice that Junmyeon and Baekhyun were seated on the old floral couch in the living room.

 

“The truck broke down on the way to the port,” said the village chief. “Thankfully the boys decided to walk because I never would’ve gotten the truck back if it hadn’t been for all their pushing.”

 

“The...boys…,” Jongdae said, turning around as Junmyeon and Baekhyun rose simultaneously. The air in the room became noticeably heavy. Jongdae glared at the bleach-blond, trying to burn him down with eyes. What the both of them lacked in stature, they made up for intensity. Junmyeon wasn’t looking for a fight but he was tired of letting people walk all over him. If it came down to a battle against the son of the village chief, he was determined to come out on top. They had locked eyes and were beginning to assume offensive postures as the chief stepped in the space that was closing between them.

 

“Didn’t you say we had some business matters to discuss?” he asked, his grin unfaltering. “Chen, please take the extra pork to our neighbors. I think I got too excited. There’s a full pot on the stove.”

 

Jongdae was forced to back down after being called his childhood nickname, which he had never been embarrassed of until he was facing someone with a name like Junmyeon. Even the way it sounded was smooth, not brute and sharp like Jongdae. Especially not slang like Chen. Jongdae hung his head as he grabbed the pot of meat and carried it outside, though he made sure to give Junmyeon a vicious glance before leaving. He regretted that he wouldn’t be able to listen in on their ‘business talk’ but he needed to update his friends, who had yet to meet the slick city guys.

Xiumin, who nearly tripped on his way to get some hot pork, still had nothing negative to say.

 

“I really don’t see the problem. Why is this getting you so worked up?” he asked with a mouthful of food.

 

“You’ll get it when you see these guys. One of them has bleached hair. And their skin is so pale-it’s like porcelain.”

 

“So no girls?”

 

Jongdae sighed. “I’m getting Lay.”

 

“Almost sounded like you said you’re getting laid. Now that would be a surprise.”

Jongdae shook his head and pushed his friend over. Xiumin rolled on the floor, laughing at his own joke. Even though Xiumin was older and disregarded most responsibilities, he had always cared about one thing. When Chen fell off of the vine while trying to swing to the other side of the river, Xiumin carried his unconscious body to the hospital. When Chen went fishing with his bare hands, Xiumin was on the beach with towels and a first aid kit-which came in handy when Chen was bitten by a baby mackerel. If Chen was determined to bring some rich city guy down, Xiumin would be there too, sword in hand. He watched Jongdae run down the street with motivation he had once been envious of, but had grown to admire and respect, and thought to himself, I would protect him with my life if I had to. Xiumin shook the thought.

“That’ll never happen,” he told himself. “Why would that happen? Why am I thinking these dumb things?”

 

Jongdae returned later than expected, dragging behind him a drowsy Lay. The pot of home-cooked food was half empty and Xiumin was curled up on the couch, stomach full and half asleep. Jongdae considered scolding him for spending the majority of his time napping, but he needed Xiumin on his side.

 

“Wake up. We need to make a plan,” he said.

 

“Why are you talking about this like it’s a war?” Lay whined. “I don’t care if these people are here.”

 

“Ok look. If Susido gets put in this magazine, then everyone who reads it is going want to come here. They’re probably going to build beach resorts and make this place a tourist attraction.”

 

“I’m with you,” Xiumin said without hesitation. His trip down memory lane had cured his apathy and he wanted to help his friend any way that he could.

 

“I know that you want to scare them, but how?” Lay asked, trying to make the two think more realistically. He couldn’t see how a couple of rural kids could take down a tycoon, but the idea interested him.

 

“That’s why I came to you. We need to brainstorm.” He couldn’t admit it, but Jongdae was drawing a blank. Whatever plans they devised would have to work perfectly so as not to gain suspicion from the other village residents, who would fall for Junmyeon’s false sweetness without a doubt. The three of them sat in silence. They were all thinking about other things, with the exception of Jongdae. Xiumin was still thinking about Chen, and Lay was thinking about ordering the karaoke machine even though his frugal father had said no. Jongdae was thinking too hard.

 

“How about we kill them?” Lay said, shoving his face into a pillow.

 

“I have an idea,” Xiumin said, remembering his reminiscing from earlier. “A real idea. We need some nets and jars, but I think it’ll be perfect.”

Without much explanation, Jongdae understood. Their first attack would be with the insects. Those boys who had probably never seen anything larger than a cockroach would have a conniption if they came close to the crawling creatures that inhabited the island.

Jongdae smiled and hugged Xiumin tightly.

 

“Genius! You’re a genius! What would I do without you!”

“Die, most likely,” Xiumin said. He could not control his pounding heart as Jongdae held his arms around him.