8

Letter to the Editor

Jongdae's bright mood disappeared once he left the beach. Suho followed closely behind him, checking on his expression every once in a while and saying things he hoped would get a reaction out of him. He craved that smile like an addict. He had been touched for the first time and he wanted more, he needed more. What he couldn't get over was the fact that those lips had kissed him and brought him back to life. The same lips that flatlined after they had laughed together in the sand. Baekhyun was at Suho's side, trying to talk to him and make sure that he was alright, that he hadn't changed his mind about the island, but Suho blatantly ignored him. 

"Hyung, do you need more water? Do you want me to get you some dry clothes from your bag?" 

"I'm fine," Suho said. He turned back to Jongdae who had gotten a couple steps ahead of him, and asked him where he was taking them next.

"Nowhere," Jongdae said, "Like I said before, I want you off the island. Now that I saved you, you owe me. Your life for mine."

"I still don't see how your life depends on-"

"How do you not get it? How would you like it if I came into your city and knocked all of your buildings down and planted an entire forest?"

Suho was getting impatient with Jongdae's tone and couldn't hear what he was saying over it.

"Please take me to the waterfall."

"Isn't almost dying once enough for one day?"

"Chen, let's get something to eat." That was Xiumin, who had been watching everything unfold from the background. His job was to ease the tension, and then get Jongdae alone so they could talk and plan again. Xiumin couldn't understand why Suho was so attached to Jongdae. What did Jongdae have that the city boy wanted so badly? It seemed that he was less interested in the island, and more intent on being next to Jongdae's side at every second. Never letting him get too far, constantly asking Jongdae to show him places, secret places that he shouldn't know about. Xiumin felt possessive over those memories of the waterfall, when life had been no more than feeling the sun on his skin and falling in love with the water and the trees and his friends. 

Jongdae was awakened by the sound of Xiumin's voice. Suho had been talking and Jongdae hadn't been listening. On the beach, Suho had become a part of him. Not intentionally, but that made no difference. Chen was the type of person who believed that he was made up of his experiences and who he shared those experiences with, and in that way, Suho was now part of him. He didn't want to accept it. He didn't want to accept that he had anything to do with some city trash. That he had kissed him. It hadn't really been a kiss, but by definition, Jongdae's lips had pressed against Suho's. And it had made Chen smile, it made him laugh until there were hot tears dripping off of his chin onto the sand. No words came to mind when he thought about it, just a fulfilling sensation that he found himself yearning for.

"Yes, let's eat," Chen said, suddenly gentle, "I bet Suho and his friend are starving." 

Chen did his best to ignore the feeling in his chest as Suho's eyes lit up.

 

 

 

/////

sorry for the short chapter (I really should be studying lol) anyways, have a good week!! (also, the story should be getting to some nice fluff -and maybe my attempt at comedy- soon! so please look forward to it :-) )