Not always Bad

When It Rains
Min sat on her bed comfortably while watching TV. She looked out the window. Rain was pouring outside and occasionally hail would hit her window. Although she was inside, she still felt the chilly air that seeped through the little openings of the house. When she heard the front door close, she went downstairs to greet her parents. On her way down, she heard loud voices coming from the kitchen. 

"What's going on here?" Min asked while looking at her parents. They both faced her. Something wasn't right. They didn't look right. It's almost as if they were...drunk. "Did you two drink?" Suddenly a flash of lightning followed by thunder struck the kitchen.

Her parents started to yell at her. Min could only see their lips moving, but all she could hear was the rain and thunder. Her mom came forward and slapped Min on the face. Shocked, Min held her cheek and looked back at her mom, "Umma?" she said, confused. Her mom said something but again, all Min could hear was the storm outside. Her dad came forward as well and pushed Min to the floor. "Appa?" 

Next came hair grabbing, clothes tearing, screaming, beating, yelling, and more slapping. Min knew her parents were insulting, shaming, and cursing her but throughout the whole time, she never really heard their voices, just the rain and thunder. The beating moved to the living room. Min was on the floor but when she got up, her father came forward with a balled fist, aiming for her face.

Min opened her eyes as she suddenly bolted her body up from her sleeping position. So it was just a nightmare after all. Even though it was only a nightmare, it all felt too real. Min was definitely frightened by it by the way she woke up panting heavily with teary eyes. "Hyung! She's awa-" "Shh!" Min quickly turned her head to face the owners of the voices but immediately regretted it right after she felt immense pain on her head. Min held onto her head until the pain slowly faded away, but that didn't stop her from looking around her surroundings. As if her headache wasn't bad enough, her eyes weren't helping. 
 
When her vision got a little better, she could only make out four young boys looking back. They were sitting on the floor around the couch she was laying on. 

She sat still and cautiously took in her surroundings, specifically searching for an escape from this unfamiliar place. When one of the boys got up and walked to another room, Min darted for the door. As soon as she got up, she tripped but regained her balance almost immediately. She realized she had great difficulty finding balance, but that didn't stop her from trying. Before she was steps away from the door, the headache got her and her legs gave out. Immediately, a pair of strong arms caught her, saving her from the cold hard floor.
 
Min slowly opened her eyes and looked up at her savior, meeting a handsome (or so she assumed because her vision was still pretty bad) young man. He looked back at her. Seeing her frightened face, Yongguk couldn't help but look worried. Before Min can think about escaping again, Yongguk spoke up, "It's not what you think. I'll explain it all to you but I just need you to trust me." Min looked at him carefully but it wasn't like she could see all that good. "Please?" Min thought about it and decided to give in. She should've thought this over a bit more. She didn't really think that she could take out all of them in their territory, did she? And if they wanted to do something to her, wouldn't they have done it by now?
 
Yongguk saw her relax her posture and took it that she's trusting him. He guided her back to the couch. Min slowly walked back while trying to sort everything out. There were about six guys where she was at. Four from that couch and the other one that came out with her savior at first.
 
The two were older than the others. She assumed that they were all brothers. But that didn't matter right now. She needed to remember what had happened to her and how she ended up in some strangers' apartment.

Sitting back down, she slowly inhaled and exhaled. Okay, Min. Try remembering what happened before all this. An image of her nightmare crossed her mind and she suddenly remembered her meeting with her parents. Okay, meeting with parents. What happened then? Then she remembered she sent them away with a lot of money. Right, so they wouldn't come back for more... and then? Then she walked home. Then she walked home... No, that wasn't it. If she walked home, she would've been at home. Unless she walked home but was captured by these six boys, one who had knocked her out, which explains her head hurting. Her head started to hurt again. Okay, maybe not. Think again, Min. She walked home... and on her way home-

"It's not what you think," her savior said once again as he shooed the younglings aside and slowly approached Min, but Yongguk stopped coming closer once he saw her stiffen up. The last thing he wanted to do was to scare her. All he wanted to do was to friendly approach her and explain everything before she got the wrong idea. That's what he was aiming for but by the way she looked at him, it seemed like that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. So he backed up a little and made sure everyone else did the same. Yongguk just waited for the mysterious girl to do something.

When the pounding of her head faded and her vision stabilized, Min made eye contact with her savior. She finally saw his face clearly, he was indeed handsome but looked kind of intimidating, and that busted lip he had didn't help. She looked over to the other guy who came out with him at first, finding yet another handsome guy with some bruises on his face. Did they get into a fight? Are they gangsters? Gangsters... gangsters! Suddenly images of Strike, the dead end and the redhead popped into her mind. She looked down at her hands. She felt them sting after she took a clear look at the cuts, scrapes and bruises on her hands. 

She recalled that she only defended herself from the redhead and Strike, concluding that the two strangers that appeared from before, helped her. Min slowly stood up and ignored the slight dizziness that came with it. "By any chance," Min started, "are you guys my saviors?" directing the question to the two injured guys. 

A whole wave of relief washed over the six boys in the room. Now, they can finally breathe. Yongguk stayed in place but replied, "You can say that. We saw you get chased by gangsters, and you headed towards the dead end so we-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence when he saw her make a 90 degree bow to him and another one to Himchan. "I can't express how thankful I am to you guys. You guys saved my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you." Min went to bow again but Yongguk stopped her before she could, "It's okay, it was the right thing to do anyways and we didn't really save your life."

"No, it was my life on the line at that time. Who knows what they would've done to me... You risked your lives for a stranger, for me, while you clearly had a family to take care of. I'm so sorry to have put you through this, and you guys got hurt too." Min said while looking at them apologetically. She didn't know how to repay them back. All she could do at the moment was to bow and thank them.

"There's no need to bow, please. If you keep doing that, your head’s gonna get worse." Himchan told her. Min looked at him and was about to protest when Himchan cut her off, "Please? Don't worry about us right now. We're more worried about you. You took out the redhead and Strike smashed your head with a beer bottle. How are you still standing right now?" 

After hearing this, the four younger brothers were shocked. Min was surprised as well. "A beer bottle? Ah, that explains. But I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for you guys." Min smiled at them which made them all smile as well.

Before the atmosphere could get any more awkward, Min decided to introduce herself. "I'm Min, by the way" She was going to bow again but Himchan caught her eye so she retracted her head and smiled, "Nice to meet you all." 

From youngest to oldest, they introduced themselves.
"Hi I'm Zelo! "
"Jongup."
"I'm Youngjae."
"Daehyun."
"Nice to meet you, I'm Himchan."
"I'm the eldest, Yongguk.”

After the introduction, Yongguk took the four younger ones away in a room, leaving Himchan with Min. After recalling her memories and discovering that they were completely harmless, Min didn’t feel uncomfortable with them at all. In any case, they were definitely much more welcoming than her parents.

“Quick question, did that beer bottle have beer in it?” Min asked as she looked at her soaked clothes. “Ah…You probably don't remember but it was raining when everything happened.” Himchan said. Was it really? She was probably too busy trying to save her life from those creepy gangsters to notice. Min fidgeted, “Is it still raining?” 
 
Himchan looked outside the window, “Yeah, but not as bad as at first.” That wasn’t what Min wanted to hear. She sat back down on the couch and looked at her hands. By now, Yongguk came back and squatted down in front of her so he could see Min’s face, “You okay?” he asked. Min wore an expressionless face, her eyes still zoning out on her hands. When he didn’t get a response, he removed the strands of hair away from her face. 
 
Min didn’t flinch at the sudden motion, instead she looked back at him. Yongguk was tough and intimidating but Min could tell he was really kind and caring by the way he looked at others. The moment she looked into his eyes, she felt safe. She hasn’t felt safe since a very long time. She finally gave him an assuring smile, “Yeah.” “Good. Now, let’s get you cleaned up.” Yongguk said as Himchan brought back a first aid kit. 
 
When Yongguk and Himchan started to clean her wounds, Min took this time to actually look around her surroundings. Next to the front door was a tiny kitchen and then there was the living room, in which they were in. Aside from that, there was just one, not to mention small, room where she assumed the rest of the brothers were in. The apartment was okay for maybe two people max but it was way too small for the six of them to live in. 
 
“Do you all live here?” Min asked. “Yeah.” Yongguk replied. “Just you six?” “Yeah.” “Oh."
 
Min wasn’t trying to be rude but she was just curious as to why they were living in such conditions. They were nice people, they deserved better. 
 
"Is there anyway I can repay you guys?” Min asked. “It’s okay. You don’t have to do anything. Just make sure you don’t go out alone again, especially in that neighborhood.” Yongguk said. Min would but it was just that she couldn’t. 
 
“What? You like being alone that much?” Yongguk joked as he finished bandaging Min’s hands. Himchan left to the kitchen to get some ice. “To be honest, no, I don’t. I hate it. But I live alone, there’s not much you can do about that.” Min said.
 
Himchan returned with ice packs and sat on the floor with them. “What about your parents?” Himchan asked. “Ah…that’s a long story.” Min said. Yongguk looked out the window, “We got time.” 
 

Min told her whole story to them, from the good family to the abuse to the runaway to now. As Min spoke, Yongguk and Himchan both listened carefully. From not too far away, the four younger brothers were listening as well. 
 
“So yeah, that’s my story.” Min concluded. Suddenly Zelo came out of the room and sat himself next to the three, “Wow Noona! That’s great!”  Himchan immediately flicked Zelo’s forehead for being so rude, “Why were you eavesdropping?” “What hyung?! The others were too!” Zelo retorted as he pointed towards the room.
 
The rest of them came out of the room. "Okay, to be fair, you can hear everything in this place." Youngjae reasoned. "It's just that small." Jongup added, gaining a "mhmm"  from Daehyun. Himchan looked at them and looked at Min, "I'm sorry about my brothers." 
 
"Don't be! They're hilarious." Min said, inviting the others to sit with them, "So what about you guys? How did you guys end up here?" Yongguk talked about the adoption, their abandoning, and them surviving now. Min listened attentively to the whole thing, "It must've been tough." "Yeah it was, it still is, but as long as we have each other." Yongguk said. Min admired their strong bond. She never had siblings, so she wouldn't really understand it. She didn't have anyone to lean on and suffer with, she went through everything alone. She'd always hoped that one day she'll have a family of her own, people who would protect and care for her. People who would love her and treat her like she matters. Min looked out the window and saw that it had stopped raining. She didn't look away until after Himchan spoke up, telling the others to go to sleep. They didn't want to leave yet because they wanted to learn more about Min, but it was already really late and Min also suggested that it was about time for her to take her leave. 
 
Min thanked everyone once again and let the others go to bed. Himchan said his goodbyes before he left to take care of them. Min looked straight at Yongguk who was looking back at her. "I really want to thank you for saving me. I sincerely apologize for bringing you and your family so much trouble. If I could do anything, anything, for you guys, please just let me know. And if you don't mind, I would really want to be friends with you guys. I can say, I've never met such nice people before. Thank you for everything." She handed him a slip of paper with a phone number on it and bowed before she walked out. "Let me walk you home, it's still dark." Yongguk offered but Min was quick to respond, "It's okay, I got it from here. I don't want to bring you any more trouble. Thank you." She bowed again and left. Yongguk didn't know what to say. He didn't understand how a tiny girl like her can be so independent yet the more he thought about it, the more he felt the need for her to depend on him. It was a strange feeling.
 
Yongguk turned around and ran toward the window. No way was he going to let this girl walk home alone after what just happened. Even though they weren't in the most dangerous area of the district, didn't mean that it wasn't dangerous. Luckily, he found Min just exiting the building and walking out. He looked up at the sky and started to worry. Without losing any time, he rushed out the door.  
 
He ran out the building and caught sight of her. "Min!" She turned around as Yongguk ran to her. "Aren't you at least a bit scared walking out alone?" he asked.
 
"Yes." Min said bluntly. Yongguk was taken aback, but one thing he learned about Min was that she was straightforward and down to earth, "Let me walk you home." "It's okay, really. It's late and you should get back home. Take care of your injuries, okay?"
 
She turned around and started walking again. "It's late and it's going to rain again."  Min stopped at his words and turned back to him, "Your injuries can wait." she softly said. Yongguk gave her his gummy smile and walked next to her.
 
“Is it because of that night you don’t like the rain?” Yongguk asked. Min looked at him, surprised he knew, “Yeah.” 
 
"You know, you shouldn't not like rain just because of that one night. Rain isn't always bad." Yongguk suggested, trying to change her perspective of rain.
"True. It gives us water." Min said trying to look at the bright side, "But..." 
"But what?"
"Ever since that night, rain has been pretty mean to me. You might not believe me but something bad always happens to me when it rains. " Min stated.
"Oh yeah? Like what?" Yongguk challenged.
"Stuff like tripping down the stairs or burning your hand from cooking something or car accidents or catching a cold or getting harassed by gangsters" Min listed, "or worst of all, paper cuts." Min said dramatically with a "disgusted" head shake.
"I get the rest but paper cuts... Really? That's not that bad!" 
"Okay, fine. They're not that bad. I'll take paper cuts over all that any day, but still they sting!"
 
Yongguk chuckled. This girl is just so unexpected. She sure knew how to lighten up the mood. Yongguk ped his jacket and lightly threw it over Min. Min didn't ask because she knew what it was for. "Thanks." The drizzles turned to rain, but for some reason, Min didn't feel scared. It was probably because Yongguk was with her. Was that how it worked? Luckily, they had reached near her home shortly before it began rainingThey finally reached to her house and took cover there. Min fished out her keys and opened the door. She went inside and looked back, "You're not coming in?"
 
"No, but thank you though. I should get going." Yongguk said. 
 
"Wait! Before you go," Min went and grabbed a towel, a first aid kit, some snacks, and an umbrella. She put everything (except the umbrella) in a bag and rushed back. Knowing he'll be unwilling to accept it, she forced it into Yongguk's hands "Here, take these and thanks for the jacket! Get some sleep and take care! Thank you again! Now gogogo! Before it rains even harder!" Everything was coming at him too fast but Yongguk did as told, going back home with the bag while taking cover under the umbrella. What just happened?