In a Heart Beat

The Breakup Guru
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Sungyeol woke up that morning in a tangle of blankets and pillows. He rolled over on the bed and stretched his arms, almost knocking over a glass of water on the bedside table. Squinting slightly, he could see piece of paper stuck under the glass. The red-head groaned as he sat up in bed. His head was throbbing slightly with pain and every move he made seemed heavier than usual. Picking up the piece of paper, he realized that he didn't recognize the scribbled handwriting which was a bit eerie.

 Get some rest today, idiot. I'll be on the plane by the time you wake up so don't bother me.

 He furrowed his brows after reading the note. Memories from the night were fresh in his mind. L talking about his father, Sungyeol telling him everything about his past and passing out when he was apologizing. Running a hand through his tangled hair, the choding couldn't help but curse at himself. Wallowing in the past was not something he did on a daily basis. He enjoyed living in the moment. There were too many painful memories that he wanted to forget completely but L's appearance brought them all back again.

 L. Sungyeol felt his chest tingle slightly as he reread the note the other had left him. The smile on his lips twisted slightly because everything just felt so weird. Whenever he was around the guru, things felt oddly comfortable and Sungyeol wasn't acquainted to that.

 A soft beeping noise brought him back into reality. He inched to the other side of the bed to grab his phone. The screen was lit up to show that he had received a text from L.

 From L:

 Boarding the plane now. Be back from China soon, don't miss me too much ;)

 Sungyeol scoffed at the winky emoji that the guru had shamelessly added to the end of his text. He clearly remembered the other mentioning that he wouldn't be going to see Taeyeon until later in the week but he wasn't complaining. It would be better for both him and Taeyeon if they lose contact quickly. Taking the chance to cool his head, he took time to clean himself and change into a fairly unwrinkled outfit.

  His stomach rumbled slightly as he exited his bedroom. The boy was relieved to see that L had helped him clean up the place before leaving. Sungyeol felt guilty for being a lousy host. Now there was yet another favor he owed L. The choding felt that three hundred thousand won wouldn't even make up for everything that the guru had done for him in the past few weeks. Excluding the fact that Sungyeol had forced his family history onto the poor boy the night before too.

 Upon entering the kitchen, a satisfyingly sweet aroma filled the air. Sungyeol was more than surprised to find a bowl of haejangguk on the table. It was exactly what he was craving - something filled with different spices.He was famished and his throat was dry from all the drinking and vomiting. Again, he found a note with L's small handwriting laying on the counter next to the soup.

 Yah, warm this up before drinking it or else it won't do you any good.

 The smile forming on his lips was bright and he felt more than glad to have made a friend like L. No one ever did anything so thoughtful for him. Not even Taeyeon. She wasn't a very skillful cook and neither of them ever found a reason to enter the kitchen, especially when they had enough money to eat at fancy restaurants for almost every meal.

 Sungyeol obediently let the bowl heat up in the microwave before settling down to fill his growling stomach. Calling L a good cook would be an understatement. The guy could really cook. It tasted like something mothers would make for their children. The warmth of the soup made him momentarily forget about how his temples felt like they were going to burst from pain. Although it was only a soup used to cured hangovers, Sungyeol thought it was the best dish he had in a long time (besides the jjajang noodles that they had made the day before).

 Though the soup was delicious, it didn't stop his headache from causing him to feel dizzy. The choding searched all over the house for a bottle of Advil. When he found one, it was empty. The last thing Sungyeol wanted to do was leave the house but he had no choice but to buy a new pack. Maybe a breath of fresh air would help him recover more quickly too. After deciding that he looked more or less presentable to the public, Sungyeol dragged himself out of the quiet apartment.

 It was at times like this when Sungyeol was glad he decided to live in the city. He crossed the street cautiously, ignoring the two giggling teenage girls that thought they were being sneaky when taking photos of him. It was something that the choding had grown accustomed to ever since he hit puberty. Thankfully, they didn't follow him into the drug store. The smell circling around the medicine and herbs aisle was unnerving and he wanted leave immediately. Grabbing a box of Advil, he practically sprinted to the cashier. A boy around his age was working the cash register. Howon was written neatly on his name tag.

"That will be 12000 won," Howon said, bagging the box for him.

 Sungyeol quickly gave the boy the money, a slight bow, and scurried out the door.

 As he made his way back to the apartment, the red-head passed by the local hospital. He didn't like it there, especially since that was where his elder brother was staying. The hospital scared him. Sungyeol only ever went there once in his entire life and that was years ago with his younger brother who had begged for him to go. He quickened his pace slightly when nearing the entrance but a voice stopped him in his tracks.

 "Daeyeol?"

 He felt a gentle but firm hand grab onto his arm. That was a name he hadn't heard another person say for a long time. Turning around, he saw a male sitting on a wheelchair. His dark eyes were almost covered by luscious chocolate-colored bangs.

 "Daeyeol?" the boy repeated, eyes narrowing slightly because of the sunlight.

 Sungyeol could see how he could have been mistaken for his brother. The two of them looked so alike they could've been twins if it weren't for the two year age difference. "No," he cleared his throat. "I'm his.. older brother." It felt weird saying that. Truthfully, he didn't know if they could even call each other siblings anymore. They haven't spoken or seen each other in ten years.

 "Oh..." The frown was evident on the other boy's face. There was a hint of sadness in his eyes as he awkwardly let go of Sungyeol's arm. "I'm sorry, I just thought you two looked very alike."

 There was an uncomfortable silence as Sungyeol didn't know what to say in reply.

 "If you don't mind, would you wheel me back to my room?" The taller male looked down to see the pleading expression on the stranger's face. "My nurse said she would be back but it's been a while already and the sun is making me uncomfortable."

 Sungyeol didn't want to spend anymore time with this boy than he should but it was only the right thing to do. "I guess so," he complied, taking ahold of the handles on the back of the chair and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter