IX. Wants

Umbrella

CHAPTER 9: WANTS

The message that Chorong has been waiting for days finally arrived. She jerked on her seat out of excitement, making the professor look at her curiously. Chorong just smiled awkwardly as she bowed and scratched her head.

“Is there any problem, Miss Park?” He asked the enlivened student at the far back, asking her to stand up.

“Nothing…” Chorong answered as she shook her head, hiding her phone behind her. “I’m sorry.”

The professor gave her one last look before he resumed his lecture. Chorong on the other hand, sat down as she checked her phone under the desk, trying her best to contain her feelings as she reread the message that she just received. She actually reread it more than once since she still cannot believe that the latter would actually contact her.

“Hello. Thank you for the cake, it was delicious. May I know who this is?”

Chorong immediately pressed the reply button, but then instantly paused as she contemplated whether if she would reveal her identity already or not. She wanted to surprise the younger one, but she was also afraid that she might not want to meet with her if she doesn’t introduce herself.  She typed, erased, typed, and erased again for a number of times before finally deciding on what to reply.

“You will know after we meet. :)” Chorong sent the message then immediately clasping her hands together, asking the gods for help.

Bomi on the other hand, just raised her eyebrow as she read the reply from the anonymous sender of the cake. She scratched her head as she thought about what would happen if she agrees to meet the mysterious person and it turns out to be some criminal. She thought of a lot of what ifs, which made her stare blankly at the screen of her phone.

“You will know after we meet…?” a voice from behind startled the older one. Bomi turned back, only to see the actress staring at her phone. “Are you going on a date with Hani again?” Naeun asked, teasing her manager.

Since the latter saw the message already, she didn’t bother denying and just entertained Naeun’s question. “No, it’s not Hani. I don’t even know who this person is.” She sighed. “I just got the number on the note that was with the cake. You know…the one I shared with you.”

“Ah...it was delicious, you know. Wait, what if it’s a guy? You entertain men now?” Naeun continued to ask. She already knew about Bomi’s uality even before she became her personal manager. Bomi was very open about it ever since she was accepted by her parents after she came out back in high school and her company knew about it, so it’s fine. Besides, no one would care that much since she’s just a normal person.

“You know I don’t go that way, Naeun-ah. And if it happens to be a guy, I’d just dismiss him if ever he expresses his intention of courting me.” Bomi simply smiled at her friend. “Should I go? What if this person is some sort of a hoodlum…”

“Then ask her to come to our café. It’s open for everyone and at the same time, it’s within our building premises so you’re safe for sure.” Naeun suggested as she wore the jewelry in front of the mirror, preparing for the next round photo-shoot. “But what if…it’s a girl and she likes you?”

“Well…”

“Do you like Hani?”

“I guess? Not sure, but she gives me tingly feels.” Bomi casually replied as she scanned through Naeun’s pictures. “This looks good…” she muttered under her breath, commenting on a certain picture that she found really beautiful.

“Do you love her?”

Bomi froze on the spot. She really hasn’t thought about it – about being in love. It was something that she didn’t mind after she started working. She really doesn’t have any time to anyway. Sure, she had met a few girls here and there, but none of them really stood out. Well except for Hani, of course.

“I don’t know. She sometimes makes my heart skip a beat, but the last time that I felt butterflies inside my stomach was back in high school. So I guess, not?”

“Ah, I see. So back to my question…what if it’s a girl and she likes you?”

“Let’s see then.” Bomi smiled, finally pressing the reply button.

“I see. You saw the café below our office, right? Please meet me on Sunday, 7pm.”

Chorong almost jumped out of her seat the moment she read the reply that she was anxiously waiting for a few minutes already. Afterwards, she then returned the device inside her pocket before trying to focus on the lesson. Unfortunately, her facial expression betrayed her, making the professor give her another judging look and another paragraph to read.

---

It was Sunday, and fortunately for Naeun, she doesn’t have any schedules that day. She was chosen as a lead star in a famous singer’s music video, and luckily they finished filming yesterday. Naeun owns this day for herself, so she doesn’t have to secretly run away from her boss and manager. Then and there, she contacted Eunji and asked if she can come over.

“Are you sure you want to hang out all day here? I mean, there’s nothing much to see…” Eunji asked, troubled. “I can accompany you anywhere you want like Hongdae or Gangnam…” she then served a cup of orange juice to her visitor.

“I want to rest for today. It has been a while since I got a day off.” Naeun coolly spoke as she removed the cap and face mask that seemed to be a part of her body already. “Besides, I feel more comfortable here than at home.”

Eunji furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at Naeun. “Why is that? You’re the first person whom I heard say that.” She then sat down on the other side of the table after placing two slices of cakes that Chorong gave her the other day. “You know, if only Busan wasn’t that far, I would go home every day.”

“No one’s there anyway. I might die out of boredom.“ She lied to the older one. In fact, she never went home ever since she left their house.

Home was never a home for Naeun, and this was one of the reasons why she got into painting. She liked drawing herself with a complete family, which she never got ever since she was old enough to understand their situation. She would show her drawings to her father, only to be ignored and dismissed like she never exists. Things got worse between them when she said something that deemed unacceptable for his father, so after graduating high school she decided to move out and work hard to reach the point where she is at the moment.

“Ah…if you say so, then…” Eunji shrugged off the topic after seeing the sadness in Naeun’s eyes. She wanted to ask more, but she didn’t want to pry into the latter’s personal life. She’d rather have her bring it up, or not at all. “Please, try the cake. My friend baked it for me.” She then proudly presented Chorong’s masterpiece, trying to change the discussion.

Naeun’s eyes shot wide open “Hmm!” she exclaimed as she savored the familiar taste in . “I’m certain that this is it!” she added, making Eunji dumbfounded.

“Eh…?

“This cake, I’ve eaten this the other day.” She explained. “It was really delicious that I cannot forget how it tasted so I’m sure that it’s the same.”

“But…how? I mean, Chorong baked this and she doesn’t sell…”

“Bomi shared a cake with me and she said that someone sent it to her anonymously, but the sender left her a contact number. She’s actually meeting her tonight.” Naeun continued to enjoy the delicious pastry.

Just then, Eunji remembered the phone call that she just had with her best friend moments before Naeun arrived at her place.

“Eunji-ya…yes, or no?”

“What?”

“Just choose. Help me decide.”

“Decide on what anyway?”

“Just choose!” Chorong shouted.

“Fine…yes.” Eunji then heard her friend sigh on the other line.

“Wish me luck.” The older one then hung up even before Eunji can bombard her with questions.

Eunji scratched her head as everything made sense now. Knowing how impulsive her friend is, even if she said no, Chorong would still hear it as a yes. The only thing surprising to her at the moment is that it’s her first time seeing the person she was stuck with for almost 4 years, being that interested with someone. It actually came to a point where she thought that her best friend was aual.

“Why are you smiling like that?” Naeun’s voice made her snap out of her thoughts. “What are you thinking?”

“Ah, well. I just remembered something.” Eunji excused, avoiding ruining her friend’s plan. “I thought of…stars! I mean the stars in Busan. They shine really bright there compared here.” She then flashed her wide grin as she convinced the clueless lady.

The corner of her lips suddenly went up as she thought of a plan. “Do you have any plans for today? Are you going to be busy?”

“Well, not really. I’m free today and my classes for tomorrow will still start around noon. Why?” Eunji replied, making the latter rejoice deep inside.

“Eunji-ya…”

“Hmm..?”

“Let’s go to Busan.”

---

Chorong was so excited that she arrived in the café 30 minutes earlier. She scanned through the area for a slightly secluded spot and waited for Bomi. She peeked inside the paper bag and stare at the trench coat, hoping that the latter would like the present that she thoughtfully bought. Chorong fiddled with her fingers as uneasiness tickle her body. She was restless, until she saw a familiar figure walking towards the café.

“You’re Park Chorong, remember? You never get nervous. You’re cool. Just be cool.” She hypnotized herself as she watched Bomi walk towards her. She swore that she felt her heart almost popping out of her chest.

Bomi actually planned to arrive earlier, until she decided to drive Naeun and Eunji to Busan. Her artist actually wanted to take a public bus, but she didn’t want to risk her safety so she just volunteered instead. Luckily it wasn’t that traffic, because she would have been really late if so. Bomi parked the van on the other side of the street before making her way inside. While walking, she narrowed her eyes as she examined from afar the person whom she was going to meet. It seemed a bit familiar, but she’s still quite not sure.

Her eyes went from narrow to widen the moment she finally recognized that it was Jung Eunji’s friend, Park Chorong.

“Hello.” She bowed and showed her toothy yet awkward smile. “Did you wait for a long time?” Bomi checked her watch, and it was 10 minutes past seven.

“Hello, nice to see you again.” Chorong stood up and returned the greeting with a bow as well, trying to sound unaffected. “I just arrived too, don’t worry.” She lied. If it was any other person, she would be pissed as hell already. “Please, have a seat.” She smiled.

“Thank you for coming.” The older one initiated the conversation after the both of them became quiet for a few minutes. “Sorry if I didn’t introduce myself earlier.”

“It’s okay. Thank you for the cake as well. It was really delicious. May I ask where did you buy it?”

“Well, I made it…” Chorong’s voice became softer after hearing the compliment, and it sure made her weak and nervous. In fact, Bomi was the only one who can make her feel that way. “I’m glad that you liked it.” She added, regaining her composure.

“Wow…you’re good. You should make it a business, you know.” Bomi continued complimenting the older girl. She was sincere with the praises that she threw at Chorong since she’s blunt when it comes to anything related to food. “Shall we eat? I’ll take your order and buy for us. Besides, this is the only way to repay for your wonderful cake.” She offered.

“But you don’t really have to…”

“I insist, and I won’t take no for an answer.” Bomi showed her eye smile, which made Chorong mentally dead. The older one had no choice but to immediately tell what she wanted to eat unless she wants to crumble down in front of her. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.” She smiled again before leaving.

Chorong sighed. “Park Chorong, please calm down. You want this, right? You want her, right? Man up.”

After a few minutes, the younger one came back along with their food. Bomi got an Oreo Cheesecake and Green Tea Frappe, while the latter got what she ordered, which was her favorite Iced Americano and Blueberry Cheesecake.

“So, you said you got something for me?” Bomi initiated the conversation, being the friendlier between the two of them as she feasted on her food.

“Ah, yes.” Chorong exclaimed and pulled out the paper bag that was hidden under the table. “It’s nothing much…” She then handed it over to the person in front of her. “I figured out that you might need it sometime in the future...”

“Wow…just…wow.” Those were the only words that she can say as she pulled out the trench coat from the bag. She was planning to buy one, but someone gave it to her instead. Not to mention that it was from a famous brand of clothing, she can’t help but just sigh in amazement. “You’ve given me too much that I don’t think I can accept this…”

“It’s okay, please take it.” Chorong just smiled, admiring the adorable awed facial expression of the latter.

“But...the cake was actually enough as a birthday present.” She then looked straight at Chorong and threw the golden question. “I’m just curious, but is there any particular reason for giving me such gifts?”

Chorong gripped on the fork tightly. “B-because…” she stuttered.

“Because…?” Bomi leaned in closer.

The older one closed her eyes and took a deep breath. This is it. This is the moment that will definitely change her life. She sat up straight before slowly opening her eyes and staring right back at Bomi as she swallowed the lump on .

“Are you ok—“

This is it, Park Chorong. There’s no turning back.

“I like you, Yoon Bomi.”

-----

A/N: Yes, it's much of a ChoMi chapter for this update so please anticipate the next chapter which will focus more on 2eun. ^^ Thank you again for reading, liking, and subscribing!!! ^^