XIII. Surprise

Umbrella

CHAPTER 13: SURPRISE

Six months have passed, and Eunji really held on to her statement of not cutting ties with Naeun. If anything, the two grew a lot closer than before even if they only meet not more than thrice a month. Naeun has been busy filming a lot of variety shows for more exposure, while she did her best to focus on her studies. But then again, there’s a saying that goes “If there’s a will, there’s a way”. Besides, distance cannot be considered as an issue in this world of advanced technology. Almost everything now is possible.

Eunji became a very good friend that the latter became a better person. Naeun started looking at the brighter side of life, and she’s smiling more often regardless if she’s in front of the camera or not.

With that, one of Chorong’s prophetic assumptions came true as well. Ever since that fateful night of Eunji’s failed confession, she has witnessed how her best friend dreadfully fought the war against her own feelings. When the younger one’s feelings grew larger and heart fell deeper as each day passed by even if she didn’t meet her quite often, Chorong thought that maybe, absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Well, in Eunji’s side.

What they didn’t know is that Naeun was also experiencing a quite similar internal war: being in denial about something that is obviously there, and it sure kept on intensifying. Being in denial has always been her issue, and she knew that it is something that she cannot solve alone. All of these though, isn’t really that hard to hide from someone as naïve as Eunji. It was one of the pros of being an actress.

Compared to Eunji meeting Naeun thrice a month, Chorong meets Bomi thrice a week and it really makes the latter just sigh at the older one’s dedication. She just doesn’t know how it happens, but she always bumps into Chorong randomly. Not that it is random, but rather looks like random. The older one really did not go back on her word, just like a real man…well, woman, in this case and it did pay off for Chorong because Bomi herself knew that she is getting more comfortable with the latter.

And today, was surely a day that all of them would meet.

---

“Yoon Bomi, make sure that everything goes well, understand?” Eunji whispered through her phone. She scanned around the area to make sure that Naeun wasn’t anywhere near her.

“Don’t worry, Eunji. Everything is goi—“

“Hey! I told you to watch over these!” Chorong’s whiny voice echoed at the background, cutting the conversation between the two.

Eunji sighed. “Please have more patience, okay? She’s quite a perfectionist when it comes to these things…”

“It’s al—“

The call got cut, and Eunji already imagined what happened over Naeun’s condo unit. When Chorong cooks and you offered to help, regardless of who you are in her life, you should swear that you’d be as focused as her unless you want to be nagged throughout the day. It was something Eunji experienced first handedly. It was so stressful, and as a friend she should have said this to Bomi when they met to plan Naeun’s birthday. Now she partly feels guilty, but also hopeful at the same time. She hopes that Chorong’s feelings would be greater than the younger one’s mistakes.

“Was it Bomi?” a voice from behind said, making her feel her hair stand up behind her neck. “H-huh?”

“Was it Bomi?” Naeun, who was wearing her usual clothes whenever she goes out in the public, repeated her question.

“Ah…yeah.” Eunji admitted. “She was…uh…just checking up on you.” She then added a lie.

Naeun just nodded. “So, what do we play next? Should we do another round of Tekken?” the younger one smiled and held on to Eunji’s arm as she shook it excitingly.

“Come on, we have played that for more than six times already. Let’s try something new.” Eunji suggested as she pulled the birthday girl closer and wandered around the arcade hall.

The truth is she just doesn’t want to experience the same humiliation that she got a while ago again. Eunji always loved playing arcade games like these, and she was very sure that she would win until Naeun has beaten the crap out of her. She couldn’t believe that she lost to someone who claims to just have played the game for the first time. Not to mention five straight rounds.

“Let’s try some shooting games!” Naeun stopped walking and pointed at the zombie shooting game that seemed to have caught her attention. Like a kid, she dragged Eunji to the said stall even before her friend can answer.

Eunji on the other hand, didn’t mind if she gets yanked all day long. It was Naeun’s birthday, and she wanted her friend to be in control of this day. The younger one’s request is just to play all day long, so she literally gave it to her, and is still ready to give if ever she wished for more

“What?!” she exclaimed as the phrase “Game Over” flashed on her screen.

“You’re so good in archery though…” she heard Naeun gave a side comment after Eunji just got eaten by a horde of zombies. She then giggled after seeing the pout on her friend’s face.

“This is not archery, Naeun-ah.” She defended herself.

“Excuses.” The latter gave a lighthearted laugh as she continued to play while Eunji just watched her dominate like a pro-shooter. After the game, she then turned to her friend, reaching for her hand and dragging her to anywhere that piques her interest.

They played hoops, racing games, the hammer game in which Eunji aced with flying colors, table air hockey, and all the claw crane machines inside the hall. The two of them have tried almost all of the games until their bag of coins became almost empty. Those hours were filled with laughter, and it really felt good for the both of them. Naeun wasn’t able to have fun like this for a long time, and it was refreshing for Eunji to see her friend genuinely smiling. It didn’t matter even if the both of them were wearing hideous wigs at that time.

It was already four in the afternoon, and they only have 3 coins left.

“One last game, Naeun-ah…” Eunji handed over the remaining coins but the younger one returned it back to her.

“No, you choose.”

“B-but –“

“I’m sure.” Naeun interjected even before Eunji can argue back. “Please? Take it as one of my birthday wishes too.”

Eunji sighed but with a smile on her face. She then looked around and scanned the area, overlooking the games that they already played. There were a few games that they haven’t but the only problem is they don’t have enough coins. She was about to suggest that they leave until a certain isolated booth caught her eyes. The corner of her lips went up again as she nodded, finally knowing the perfect way to end their arcade escapade.

Holding Naeun’s hand, she then brought the girl inside the photo booth before inserting the remaining coins in the machine. 3 coins were worth 5 shots. “Are you ready?” Eunji asked as she removed her cap, wig and face mask.

Naeun wasn’t really sure if it was okay to do this, since anyone can just suddenly come inside the booth that was only secured by a black curtain. She looked at Eunji with a worried expression, until she felt the latter’s hand holding on to hers, reassuring that everything is going to be alright. With that, she gave a relieved smile and removed her disguise as well.

Eunji’s warmth was one of the few things that can make her feel secure, and the latter didn’t let go of her hand even while they were making dumb faces in front of the camera. They teased each other like how they usually do, so it felt so natural for the both of them. Afterwards, Eunji came out first to guard the booth while Naeun was re-doing her disguise.

“Oh?” Eunji blurted as she saw their pictures already out of the machine. She then checked each and every one of it, laughing at every picture. It was until she saw the last one that she got quiet. She blinked for a few times, before nervously hiding it inside her coat when Naeun stepped out of the booth.

“Uhh, I already took one. You can keep the rest.” Eunji handed her the other pictures.

“Oh? What did you choose?”

“Eh…it’s not really a good one.” The older one tried to reason as an escape. “I looked awful in it.”

Naeun then looked at the pictures. “But we both look stupid in every picture? Come on, let me see…” she reached for Eunji’s pocket but the latter was able to dodge.

“I promise it’s just almost the same as that pic…” she then randomly pointed at one of the four remaining. “Besides, we need to get going now. It’s actually the highlight for today before we go home.” She strayed off the topic and was able to bring Naeun along.

“Where are we going?” the younger one asked, raising an eyebrow.

Eunji just let out a mischievous chuckle as a reply.

---

It was an agonizing day for Bomi, and it’s not only because of the exhausting preparations that they made. Her body can endure the hard work and she was more of mentally tired at the moment. Who wouldn’t be, especially if you get nagged and scolded with every move you make? It was one of those moments where she sees Eunji as an amazing person for being Chorong’s best friend. It must have been really hard on her. It was also one of those moments where Bomi gets confused with the older one’s feelings. Is this how Chorong treats the person she likes?

Chorong was still in the kitchen, diligently baking while Bomi was already resting in the living room when a knock from the door resonated.

“Oh?” Bomi blurted out, surprised with the latter’s presence. “What are you doing here?” She asked, trying to remember if she told Hani anything about her plans for today.

“Personally delivering Miss Son’s gift?” Hani then raised her arm, revealing a box of chicken that the birthday girl really liked. “You told me before that she likes these.”

“Ah, right. Come in.” Bomi fully opened the door and then heaved a sigh as she sat back down on the couch.

Hani placed the food on the table across them before sitting down beside the younger one. “You seem so tired…” She suddenly s her arm around Bomi’s, letting her head rest on the latter’s shoulder.

“Well, a bit.” Bomi answered, feeling a bit tensed at the sudden contact with her, but it’s not like it was uncommon for the two of them. Hani is the type who really likes intimacy, and that’s how she usually shows her affection. “But I’m fine, so don’t worry.”

“You did all of these?” Her eyes wandered around and observed the unit that was neatly decorated with pink and white balloons. “It’s really nice.”

Meanwhile, Chorong witnessed everything from afar. Holding a plate with slice of the newly baked cake on it, she was actually headed to the latter for a taste test. It’s not that she isn’t confident about her work. The truth is she already knew that it was perfect, and she just wanted to hear Bomi’s approval. She stopped on her tracks when she heard a voice that didn’t belong to the younger one.

Despite that, Chorong remained unfazed. Even before Bomi could answer Hani’s question, she went out of her hiding place and confidently revealed herself.

“Bomi-ah.” She warmly smiled, in contrast to how her voice sounded like. Chorong saw Bomi in a very relaxed position with Hani so she made sure that the latter would feel the chills down her spine.

And it sure did.

Bomi’s eyes shot wide open as she sat up straight, making her special friend’s head jerk away. She then anxiously looked at Chorong, who was wearing a smile that’s really hard to decipher. “Y-yes?’ she stuttered.

With how Bomi reacted, and how the familiar girl looked at the both of them, Hani understood right away that she finally had a formidable opponent for Bomi’s attention. She then turned to the person beside her who obviously didn’t know what to do. “You didn’t say that you were with someone…” Hani whispered.

“O-oh…” Bomi stood up. “This is Park Chorong and she’s actually the one who did all of these…” she awkwardly introduced Hani to the older one. “I just helped her.”

“Hello, I’m Hani.” She bowed. “It really looks nice.” Hani went on, complimenting.

“I know.” Chorong coolly accepted the praise before bowing back and introducing herself. “I’m Park Chorong.”

“I brought these.” Hani pointed at the box of chicken that she bought for Naeun.

“I know.”

“Ah, yes. You know. Of course.”

Bomi just stood still in between the two who were having a rather intense conversation. She can feel the tension passing right through her body, and she wished that everything would be over soon. Bomi never imagined that a day like this would come, and she was totally unprepared for it. She glanced at the two who were looking right at each other’s eyes, and she swore that the atmosphere was slowly becoming too hard to handle.

Chorong was the first one to break the eye contact and shifted her attention to Bomi. “Bbom-ah, come here.” Her voice now sounded gentle and warm. “Have a bite and tell me what you think.”

Bomi went closer and opened as she was fed by Chorong. Her eyes twinkled as it was the same cake that the older one sent her before. “Oh, it’s this cake!” The younger one exclaimed, forgetting about the current situation in front of the delicious food.

“So…?” The older one asked as she fed another piece to Bomi.

“10 out of 10.” Bomi gleefully replied as she enjoyed the pastry when all of a sudden, Chorong snickered. “What?” she questioned.

“You eat like a kid, you know?” Chorong then extended her reached and suddenly touched her cheek before swiping her thumb across the latter’s lips, wiping away the icing.

Bomi felt her breathing stop for a few seconds, making her exhale deeply. “Thanks.” She awkwardly smiled. The younger one thought it was over, until she saw Chorong do something totally unexpected.

“Yeah, it does taste good.” Chorong commented after lightly the icing that she wiped off of Bomi’s lips.

“Uh, Bomi…I need to go now.” Hani voiced out after she watched the little moment that Chorong perfectly executed.

“E-eh? You’re not staying for the party?” Bomi turned her head, facing towards the girl who was about to leave.

“Nah, I really just dropped by to deliver my gift and greetings. Please tell Miss Son that I dropped by.” Hani smiled.

“That’s too bad. Don’t you want to have a slice before you go?” Chorong joined in the conversation and offered.

“No, thank you. I really need to get going.” She politely rejected and bowed. “It is nice meeting you, Miss Park Chorong. I guess I’ll see you soon.”

“Ah, let me take you to the bus stop!” Bomi offered.

“I’m fine, Bomi. You should wait for Naeun here. Let’s go out sometime, okay?” She waved goodbye at the younger one before finally leaving the condo unit, closing the door behind her.

Chorong just smiled and bowed back. Even though her conscience was kind of kicking her for making the girl leave, she was still feeling victorious with what she did. Besides, Hani’s last sentence was an indication that the latter won’t back down anytime soon. Still wearing the smirk on her face, she went back to the kitchen, leaving a confused Bomi behind.

“Round one, Park Chorong wins.”

---

Thanks to her bribing powers, Eunji was able to rent the bungee tower for themselves. Eunji picked the final hour before it closes so there won’t be much people around the area. She managed to settle the deal by offering Naeun’s signature.

“Do you trust me, Naeun-ah?” Eunji asked the younger girl over the phone, already riding the boat that headed back to the shore after bungee jumping from 50m above the ground. She looked up, staring at Naeun as she admired the undeniable beauty that the celebrity radiates. “Wow, even from here…you’re still the prettiest in this world.” Eunji thought to herself.

“I’m really scared…” the younger one whined.

“Don’t look down. Just look in front of you and jump. You’ll be fine.” Eunji cooed at Naeun.

“B-but—“

“I’m just here. I won’t leave, don’t worry. Do you trust me?”

“I do trust you, Eunji-ah…but…”

She sniffed, and Eunji mentally cursed herself after hearing it. Naeun wasn’t supposed to cry on her birthday. “Okay, I understand. I’m sorry, Naeun-ah…”

“No, no. I really want to do this.” If Naeun felt frustrated, Eunji isn’t to blame. This was one of the few things listed in her to-do list before she dies and now that the opportunity is right in front of her, she feels disappointed at herself for not being able to do it. “I’m just…really scared.” She said as her words trailed off.

“Ah!” Eunji exclaimed as an idea popped right in her head. “I’ll go up there, okay? Wait for me.”

With that, the older one went back ashore and headed up the tower once again. Upon arriving, she immediately talked to the facilitator. “I can jump with her, right?”

“Yes, we will just need to make you two wear another kind of gear.” The man said.

Naeun, who overheard the conversation, went towards the two. “But you already jumped. Aren’t you sca –“

“I am more than willing to do this for you, okay? I am willing to jump with you numerous times until you finally have the courage to jump by yourself.” Eunji interjected as she held on Naeun’s shoulders. Deep inside, it was her indirect way of saying, “My love for you is greater than my fear, and I am willing to fall for you over and over again until you fall for me.

This was the first time that Naeun met someone like Eunji, and she is very thankful to the Lord that she was blessed with such a friend: someone who is genuine and willing to give way for the benefit of the people whom she cared about. It is hard not to fall for the older one, and it is really hard to stop once you already did.

After wearing the proper equipments, they both stood at the edge of the platform, face to face, and all they needed to do is jump.

“Now, are you ready?” Eunji asked as she looked right into Naeun’s moist, dark brown orbs.

The younger one gave one last look at the lake below them before she wrapped her arms around Eunji, tightly hugging the latter. Eunji on the other hand, reciprocated the tight hug as she felt Naeun slowly nodding in the crook of her neck.

“Don’t worry, I’ll never let you go.” She continued to calm her down and tightened more her hug. “We’ll jump on the count of three, okay?”

The man facilitating started counting. “1…”

Naeun clenched her fists and closed her eyes. “2…”

“Happy Birthday, Son Naeun.” Eunji whispered.

“3…!”

Eunji smiled at the orange-hued sky as she fell down for the second time bu this time, with the person she loves in her arms.

Naeun on the other hand, managed to open her eyes and stared at the body of water below her. That moment felt surreal, as it was different from how she imagined. She thought that even with Eunji, she would scream and cry in fear. But now that she actually jumped, she felt nothing but calmness and security. Naeun let out a peaceful smile as she savored the moment, slightly loosening her hold on Eunji’s torso.

“Are you okay?” The older one checked on Naeun when she felt the cord stopped recoiling, letting them hang in the air.

“Yeah...Thank you.”

Eunji chuckled. “No problem.” She then gently patted her back. “Thank you for trusting me. You did well.”

It became silent for a few seconds before Naeun suddenly voiced out her name. “Jung Eunji.”

“Hmm…?”

“Thank you for today…” Naeun snuggled more. “And thank you for everything.”

---

“Ah, I already want to eat chicken…” Naeun whined as she felt her stomach growl, asking for it to be fed. She immediately walked inside the building and pressed the elevator button.

“Calm down, we’re almost there.” Eunji smiled at the kid-like behavior of the birthday girl, following behind her. “Only a few more steps and you can finally eat in peace.”

After some minutes, they finally arrived in front of Naeun’s condo unit. Eunji gave a proud smile at the younger one before finally presenting the last birthday surprise.

Ironically, it was Eunji who was surprised after opening the door. “Eh?”

“Why?” Naeun asked, confused with Eunji’s reaction. “Is there something wrong?”

Indeed, there was something wrong. She clearly stated to the two that the lights must be off when they enter the unit, that’s why she was surprised to see it on. Both of them walked towards the dining area, and that’s where they saw Chorong and Bomi quietly waiting for them. Their faces didn’t look like they were going to celebrate someone’s birthday.

“Chorong-ah…” Eunji approached her best friend. “Hey, I said the lights should be off…” she then whispered before looking at the other girl beside her who was just staring at one direction.

“Bomi-ah, what’s wro—“

“Son Naeun.” An unfamiliar voice for Eunji echoed inside the quiet abode.

Naeun was cut off, petrified as she heard a low, familiar voice coming from behind. She unconsciously dropped her phone on the ground as her hand started to tremble. Eunji on the other hand, furrowed her eyebrows as she stared at the person who was already standing a meter behind Naeun.

“Surprise.”

-----

A/N: A longer update for various reasons! I will be really, really busy starting next week, and this is also dedicated for Naeun’s birthday. I know I am already late but…it’s the thought that counts, right? Also, I consider this one as one of the turning points of the story I guess…Anyway, I hope you liked this update! Like what I always say, thanks for reading, subscribing, commenting and liking my work. ^^ I love you all, really. ^^ And oh, if ever you have questions or if you just want to bother me, you can always drop by my ask.fm ^^ Here I go again with my shameless promotion haha