XIV. Choices

Umbrella

CHAPTER 14: CHOICES

All the happiness on Naeun’s face was instantly replaced with worry and fear as she hesitantly turned around to face the person whom Eunji assumed was from her past. The young man, who sported a striking blonde and preppy hairstyle, looked like someone from a high profile family. He was wearing a grey suit which was accented by its black collar, partnered with a black long sleeved polo as his inner wear. Eunji almost thought of him as a decent guy until she saw him smirk and pierced a look at Naeun.

Eunji just carefully watched as the scene unfolded in front of her.

“I’m back.” He said in a rather delighted yet eerie tone. “Didn’t you miss me?” he snickered after being pushed away by Naeun when he tried to hug her.

“I don’t have any reason to miss you.” She coldly responded. “Why are you even here?” Naeun threw a disgusted look the unwanted visitor.

“It’s your birthday so shouldn’t I, your boyfriend, be with you on this special day?”

After she blinked for a few times and processed what she just heard, Eunji felt like a knife just stabbed her right through the heart as she felt a stinging pain of jealousy and betrayal all over her chest. Did Naeun just lie to her all this time? Eunji can clearly remember how the younger one denied when she asked her about it, but what is this? Who is this person who just suddenly walks in and kills the joy that they had today? But more than that, she actually felt worse at the fact that she doesn’t have any right to feel what she’s feeling right now. She is just Naeun’s friend; no more, no less.

“It has been two years since I broke up with you so please get over it.” She argued.

He shook his head in disagreement. “Naeun-ah…you were the only one who wanted that and as far as I remember, I never agreed to it. Besides, I promised you that I’d come back, right? And you know that I never break my promises to you…” He was able to slightly caress Naeun’s cheek before the latter turned her head away.

“Please wake up from your delusions and leave.” Bomi finally stepped up for her friend, gathering up all the courage she can get just so the fear in her disappears. She then walked towards Naeun and pulled her away from the man. “We didn’t invite you here.”

“Oh, Miss Yoon…feeling a little braver than the last time, I see.” The mysterious man leered at Bomi before shifting his attention back to Naeun whom he saw stealing a glance at someone whom he just saw for the first time, and he didn’t like it.

“Leave, before I ca—“

“Excuse me, but who are you?” He suddenly asked as the man made his way towards Eunji. “I don’t think I’ve seen you before.”

Eunji, who was seething deep inside because of how cocky the unknown person was, managed to show a calm and sane façade as she answered the latter’s question. “I’m Jung Eunji.” She lightly bowed.

“Jung. Wow… I can’t believe that there would be another Jung in this place aside from me.” He then offered a handshake as he introduced himself. “I’m Jung Ilhoon, her boyfriend.”

But even before Eunji could return the handshake, Naeun tightly grabbed Ilhoon’s arm and forcefully turned him around. “Can you please stop it and just leave?”

“Hey feisty girl, what’s your name?” he ignored her and shifted his attention to Chorong who was already giving him a cold and piercing glare. Ilhoon also offered her a handshake but the latter just responded with a sarcastic smug. “Not really friendly, are we?” he commented as he withdrew his hand.

“I said, cut it out!” She raised her voice and exhaled deeply as she looked at him with an angered expression.

Unaffected, Ilhoon just gave another smirk and raised an eyebrow at her as he took one step closer to the latter. “Fine, but…” he then tilted his head as he leaned closer to Naeun and whispered something that made her boldness vanish in an instant.

“Seems like we can’t have fun alone tonight so I’ll just come by tomorrow. Wait for me, okay?” Ilhoon said as he slightly backed away from the petrified lady. “And it was nice meeting all of you…” he added, giving one last peep at Eunji before looking back at Naeun.

“I love you.” Ilhoon planted a peck on the girl’s cheek. “See you tomorrow.” He winked before turning around and finally exiting the condo unit.

Immediately after, the birthday girl rushed inside her bedroom and locked its door. Bomi on the other hand, just heaved a sigh as she closed her eyes and massaged her temples before she followed and attempted to have a talk with her artist. “Naeun-ah. Open the door and let’s have a talk.” She knocked on the door. “Please…” Bomi continued knocking without any intention of giving up.

Meanwhile, Chorong promptly went beside Eunji who was hanging her head down and staring blankly at the white marbled flooring. She held her best friend’s hand as she drew circles on the younger one’s back, trying her best to soothe her. “Eunji-ah…”

“I shouldn’t be like this, right?”

Chorong never heard Eunji sounded this hopeless, and it’s making her want to cry. She just knew how devastated her best friend is at the moment, so she pulled the younger one in for a tight hug as it’s the only thing she could do to help and protect her. As an only child, Chorong found herself a sister in Eunji that’s why it also pains her a lot when she sees her in great sorrow. They might not be blood-related, but their bond is as strong as every other sibling out there, if not stronger.

“Come on, let’s go home.” With an arm over Eunji’s shoulders, Chorong guided her friend towards the front door. They stopped on the way for a while as she exchanged glances with Bomi who just nodded at her after understanding the message that she tried to convey. After giving a tight-lipped smile at Bomi, Chorong led Eunji out and accompanied her home.

Usually, the car would be filled with loud music and uncontrollable laughter from the two, but tonight is an exception. Their whole ride back home was really agonizingly quiet, with Chorong stealing a few glimpses at Eunji as she was drove, while the latter just blankly stared outside the window, still remembering what happened a while ago. Chorong was confused as well, especially whenever she recalls Bomi’s reaction when Ilhoon stepped inside of the unit.

“Bbom-ah, can you get it for me?” She asked the younger one since she cannot leave the dish that she was making. “It might be them already.” Chorong added, seeing that it was already six in the evening.

“But they said they’d be back around 7—“

“Just get it!”

To avoid any more arguments with the older one, Bomi lazily walked towards the front door and opened it, assuming that it was already the two. “Hey, you’re ba—“ her words were halted as chills went down her spine, making her paralyzed.

“Hello, Miss Yoon.” He just smiled and walked inside, leaving the stupefied woman behind.

“Yoon Bomi, who was it?!” Chorong shouted from the kitchen, unaware of the situation. After a few more name calling, she decided to step out of the kitchen and see why the latter isn’t responding. “Hey, why are you…who are you?” her scolding suddenly turned into a question as she saw the man already seated on the couch while Bomi was still unresponsive.

“Who are you?” the latter returned the question to Chorong. “I’ve never seen you before.”

“Bomi, are you okay?” she totally ignored the stranger as she approached the younger one, worried after seeing the unusual look on the latter’s face. “Bomi-ah…” Chorong patted Bomi’s shoulder a few times.

“H-huh…” she stuttered as she turned at her after getting her senses back.

“Hey, where’s Naeun? Why isn’t she here?” he interrupted the two, already annoyed because of Naeun’s absence. “Are you hiding her again from me?!” The unknown man was about to approach Bomi when Chorong stepped forward, hiding her trembling friend behind her.

“No, you’re not getting any nearer.” She threatened, sounding very hostile.

He smirked. “Feisty, huh…just like my style.”

She then slapped away the hand that was about to touch her skin and responded with a smirk. “But you’re not, so you don’t have any right to touch me. Let’s go, Bomi-ah.” Chorong then dragged Bomi along with her back to the kitchen.

“I’ll just wait here then.” He then headed towards Naeun’s bedroom. “Can you get me a glass of water?”

Chorong hissed. “Get it yourself.”

After some time, Eunji was brought back from her deep thoughts the moment she felt a warm grip on her hand. She then looked at Chorong who tried her best to give a reassuring and comforting smile. “Thank you…” she responded with a forced smile. “Sorry for acting like this…”

“It’s understandable, Eunji. It’s a normal thing, especially in a situation like this…” Chorong sighed. “That bastard…He’s arrogant as…ugh.” She grunted, trying not to break in a swear word as she vented her anger by hitting the steering wheel. “I swear to the heavens above, Eunji. You’re a million times better than that…creature.”

Eunji smiled at the compliment, but it quickly disappeared when she remembered that he was Naeun’s boyfriend. “Do you...do you think he’s really Naeun’s boyfriend?” Eunji suddenly asked as she fiddled with her fingers. “Naeun said before that she doesn’t have anyone…”

Chorong bit her lips as she thought of an answer. “Well you see, I think that my opinion wouldn’t really matter. What does is whom you’re going to believe in. But if you’re really going to ask me about it, I don’t think Naeun is the type who would find someone like him attractive.”

“I feel so confused… What should I do now?” Eunji’s voice trailed off as her eyes started b with tears.

“There are only two things to choose from: believe what your mind says, or believe what this says.” Chorong pointed at where the heart is. “And what happens next will really depend on the choice that you’ll make, Eunji-ah. But knowing you, I don’t think you have to choose anyway.”

“W-what do you mean?”

The older one shrugged as the corner of her lips slightly went up. “Your heart and mind are probably saying the same thing anyway.”

---

"It’s not over between us, Naeun-ah…unless you want everyone to know your naughty little secret.”

Naeun, who just sat behind the door, cried and buried her head on the pillow that she was hugging as she remembered what Ilhoon whispered to her a while ago. Why? Why now when she thought that everything was going well already? Why does someone have to pull her back down again after almost getting out of the abyss that she was in? Why does he have to come back? She felt exhausted as she tried to answer these questions that continued to bother her and it only makes her recall what happened a few years back at the time where her career was stained by numerous scandals.

What’s making her cry harder is that Eunji was there to see and hear everything, and she felt scared that the latter might believe the person who just unfortunately came back from the dead. It has been a while since it happened, and she still hasn’t received any messages from the older one.

“Hey, Naeun-ah...” Bomi, who was still standing outside Naeun’s bedroom after two hours, continued to knock. “We need to talk about this, and you know that.”

“What’s there to talk, Bomi-ah…I’m doomed, and that’s it.” She sobbed, enough for the older one to hear it from the other side of the door.

“No, you are not. We’re going to think of a way to keep Ilhoon away from you so please…” she continued on knocking. “Let’s talk, and then tomorrow we’ll inform Mr. Jang about this. You’re not alone, Naeun-ah. You have me, Eunji—“

Bomi noticed how the younger one’s sobs got louder after mentioning Eunji, and she immediately knew that Naeun was getting way ahead and assuming things once again. She knocked for a few more times until finally she heard the click that she has been waiting since Ilhoon left. After opening the door, Bomi immediately dropped her knees on the floor and hugged her friend who became a beautiful mess.

“This is my fault, Bomi-ah. We both know the capacity of Ilhoon’s power, and if Eunji gets hurt I won’t be able to forgive myself. “She said in between her sniffs and sobs. “You know what I’m talking about, right? I shouldn’t have let Eunji walk into my life, I should not have done that, and I shouldn’t have been like this.” Naeun continued to blame herself.

“So what now, you’re now going to ignore Eunji even though we both know that she’s someone very special to you? Are you just going to follow everything that Ilhoon says like you’re some kind of a dog? No, Naeun-ah. You won’t because I won’t let you. It’s not like you don’t have his consent before you did it. Also, there’s nothing wrong with you so please stop blaming yourself.”

“No, you don’t understand because you’re not a public figure. Everyone’s eyes are on me, and no matter how modern our country is now, it is still something that is frowned upon. The source of this mess is me, and it affected my life and those of the people involved when I tried once to be me. Remember what happened to you before, Bomi-ah? I don’t want Eunji or anyone to experience something like that so it is best if—“

Just then, Naeun felt her phone vibrate as the notification alarm went off. At first she was hesitant to see who sent a message but after seeing the first letter of the name of the sender, her heartbeat went racing like she ran a mile. Finally, a message from Eunji, although she still feels quite unsure and scared about the content of the message. Naeun hesitated for a bit before eventually pressing the screen of her phone for it to open.

With tears still streaming down her face, she gave a bittersweet smile after reading the short, but sweet message. Naeun handed her phone to Bomi and let the older one read the message.

“Like what I promised, I’ll never leave you. Just call if ever you need me.”

“I told you, Naeun-ah. You’re not alone.”

-----

A/N: Aaaaaand the drama begins. Hello everyone. ^^ I noticed how some of you assumed that it was Taemin but to be honest, I immediately crossed him out of the list because he’s not the only one who could pull off the role. Anyway, I hope you liked this update and as always, thank you for reading, subscribing, commenting, and liking my work. Hearts for all of you! <3

Ah, I’ve also written a new one-shot, and it’s my first ever 2Eun. The title is Be The Light so I hope you can go check it out and tell me what you think about it. Thank you ^^