IV. Unstable

Umbrella

CHAPTER 4: UNSTABLE

Naeun was never the type to open up her problems with others, not even to those people whom she considers as a close friend. This is why even though the girl in front of her sounded so concerned and sincere, it still made her feel annoyed. She glared at the older one gave a deep sigh before shrugging off the hand that was holding on her wrist.

“Why do you even care?” she blurted out, making Eunji take a step back. “Are we close?” Naeun added, trying to push her away.

This is one of the many things that Naeun hated about herself. No matter how much she is certain that a person was just trying to be friendly, and that person was actually concerned about her, she still chose to push them away. Naeun cannot believe herself at the moment, that she’s actually being an when a while ago she was just admiring the eye smile of the latter that she was trying to distance from.

Eunji sure didn’t know how to react, but she felt that being completely honest wouldn’t hurt. She grasped on the latter’s wrist once again and answered Naeun’s questions.

“This may sound so strange for you, but I do care. Ever since I saw you three months ago, I’ve always wondered why you were letting yourself get soaked under the rain. And please don’t ask me for the reason because I don’t know why too. It actually bothers me that I’m feeling concerned towards someone who I just met thrice, including today.” What she said was lengthy, and she cannot process why she’s telling all of these things to her in this situation.

The latter suddenly felt like crying after hearing those words, but she fought hard not to spill any tear. Naeun felt so bad for treating Eunji like this, but this has been her defense mechanism to anyone who tried to pry into her life.

“Wow, you just sounded like a fan right there.” Naeun mocked unwillingly. “You sound like every other person who acts like they’re concerned but in the end, once they fulfill their motive, they’ll leave me in the end.”

“I guess I am your fan now then.” Eunji stubbornly replied, trying to convince Naeun. “And how can you be so sure that I’ll leave you?”

Both of them cannot believe that they’re arguing under the heavy rain. Eunji clasped onto the umbrella tightly as the strong winds tried to blow them away.

Deep inside, Eunji was wondering if all celebrities are like this: emotionally unstable. Son Naeun was the first star she has ever personally encountered, and the feeling was actually new to her. All that she’s sure of is that what she sometimes sees on-air, is definitely not the same off-air. During those months after her last meeting with the younger girl, she tried once to watch the television for one whole day. She has never done that because it really doesn’t interest her, but seeing Naeun through that black, rectangular thing on the wall made it all absorbing.

Just like how Naeun’s painful eyes do the same thing to her right now.

Naeun on the other hand found the opportunity to escape the unfortunate situation that she admittedly caused. She didn’t want to hurt the person in front of her more, even though it seemed like Eunji wasn’t getting affected at all.

“Can you even hear yourself?” she asked with a tight voice. “I’m actually doing you a favor, you know. I thought you want your privacy to remain untouched? If you involve yourself to me, you’ll just be hurt. No one will listen to you, and no one will understand you. No one will even try, believe me. So just take my advice and let me be.”

Eunji immediately got it. She didn’t really understand what she was saying at first but as it went on, she felt that Naeun was unconsciously opening up to her. It seemed like the person standing before her cannot hold on much anymore that she carelessly let it go. Naeun paused and turned away the moment that she realized what she was doing.

“Is that why –“

Out of the blue, a familiar van stopped just a few feet from where they were standing. Eunji peeked from the edge of the umbrella and saw a familiar figure running towards them. She didn’t mean to feel bad, but she can’t help but sigh because she knew that this discussion might end up unsettled between the two of them.

Both of them looked at each other. They weren’t saying anything, but the two of them sure are trying to convey a message by the look in their eyes. A mixed of curiosity, concern, and stubbornness from Eunji, while Naeun’s contained a mix of pain, longing, and apology.

“I knew it.” Bomi muttered under her breath as she approached the two who just remained silent. “I’m just so thankful that it’s you again, Miss Jung Eunji.”

“Eunji.” She stated. “Eunji is fine.” The owner of the umbrella preferred, as she was never used in being called Miss.

“Thank you, Eunji.” The manager pulled her hand on Naeun’s shoulder and pulled her closer. “And I’m sorry too, for this hassle.”

It was never a hassle for her. In fact, Eunji wished that fate would always make them meet, but in a much lighter situation as much as possible. Her eyes never went off of Naeun’s, even when she was talking to Bomi. She tried to memorize her features, because she felt like it would take a while, or possibly forever, before she can be able to be close to her like this.

“It’s fine.” Eunji sounded as dead as she can.

Bomi then bowed, and Naeun followed afterwards before going under another umbrella. The older girl pulled her close, while Eunji just watched their backs as they went further away.

“Are you serious?!” Bomi whispered in angry tone. She was sure that she already warned Naeun before not to do it again, but obviously she didn’t follow. “I told you before that if there’s something bothering you, kindly let me know and not just randomly disappearing.” She may sound strict, but she was also worried at the same time.

Naeun then stopped walking. “Ah, I forgot to tell her something.”

Eunji on the other hand, squint her eyes as she noticed that the taller girl was walking back towards her. She pondered on any possible justification for why she was coming back, and alas, Eunji remembered about the face mask she was wearing.  Eunji removed the piece of cloth that was covering half of her face, thinking that it was the reason. Naeun was already in front of her and Eunji was already about to hand it over when the latter inched closer, almost leaving no space in between them as she leaned in closer to her ear.

Her heart raced for a few seconds before it instantly dropped after hearing the words that Naeun whispered.

“Please, don’t come near me again.”

---

“Chorong, I’ll be going to a friend’s party so I won’t be able to go home with you after class.” Eunji said as she flipped through the pages of the magazine that she borrowed from her. She paused for half a second when she saw a page with Son Naeun’s picture then went on with scanning, so that Chorong wouldn’t notice what she just did.

“Eunji…let me remind you that your friends are my friends as well so basically I would be getting an invitation too.” She stated as a matter-of-factly. “So it’s either you’re just escaping from your promise to treat me or you’re just hiding something from me. Just tell me because you’re not getting out of here until you do so.”

If there was someone who knew her from head to toe besides from her parents, that would be Park Chorong. People around them would think that they’ve known each other ever since they were kids, based on how they bicker and throw insults at one another but the truth is they just met when they first entered the university. That was 3 years ago.

“Well…” Eunji paused, trying to think of an excuse. It’s not that she didn’t want to let Chorong know, it’s just that if she did, the latter would want to go whatever it takes. She was telling the truth that she’s going to attend a birthday party and she was personally invited by the celebrant. The only thing that she couldn’t tell her best friend is that it was Yoon Bomi who is celebrating. “You guys…really don’t know each other that well…”

Chorong would definitely go nuts if she finds out that she has been in contact with Bomi all this time. She also didn’t tell the latter that after the unfortunate meeting between her and Naeun, Yoon Bomi actually met up with her in secret to apologize for Naeun’s behavior after knowing what happened. They’ve exchanged numbers, in case the rebellious celebrity runs away again. Also, the fact that they’re just of the same age made it easier for them to be closer.

“Just spit it out, Jung Eunji.” The older girl’s voice sounded more demanding the more she asked for it.

“Can I bring a friend?”

“Actually, I’m sorry but I am bringing one. I hope you don’t mind.”

With a deep sigh, Eunji texted those messages to her other friend. She then mentally prepared herself as she knew she’ll be bombarded with questions after telling the truth to Chorong.

“Yoon–“

Her prediction about her friend’s reaction was not only on point, but also way worse than she imagined. They were still in the library, but peace was nowhere to be found when Chorong covered as she was strangled. She wanted to throw a fit about it, but she pushed the limits of her patience just so they won’t make any scene.

“You call me your best friend and yet you didn’t tell me about this?!” She whispered and complained.

“If I let you…come along…” Eunji struggled in between her breaths. “…would you stop…choking me…” she coughed.

The older one immediately switched from choking, to hugging. Her anger was immediately replaced with a big, victorious grin on her face as she hugged her best friend like a teddy bear. She even went as far as planting a peck on Eunji’s cheek, which Chorong actually hated doing to anyone.

Chorong didn’t let go of Eunji until they heard the school bell, which signaled that their classes would start in 30 minutes.

“See you later!” she mouthed at the abused friend before happily skipping her way out of the library.

After a few more hours of struggle inside the campus, the two of them finally went home to prepare and dress up before meeting one another. Both of them are excited, and they have their own reasons. Chorong offered to take her car with her, thinking that it would help them reach the destination easier but both of them didn’t have any idea that Bomi purposely rented a secluded and hard-to-find place to celebrate her birthday. That was in consideration for one of her guests.

The party started at 6pm, but they arrived an hour later.

“I’m really sorry, Bomi.” Eunji apologized as she scratched her head while her friend was alarmingly quiet behind her.

“It’s alright. The party is going to be until everyone is knocked out so it doesn’t matter. Thank you for coming!” She brushed it off and welcomed her guests with open arms. “Is that your friend?” Bomi asked as she noticed a figure trying to hide Eunji.

The older girl behind Eunji was already as red as a tomato. She was the one who wanted this, so she cannot blame her best friend for anything concerning about the current state of her sanity. Chorong breathed deeply, trying to calm her excited heart so that she can properly greet Sparkling Yoon. She then felt a tug on her hand from Eunji, motioning her to stop hiding and introduce herself.

“Hello, I’m Park Chorong.” With her head hung low, Chorong bowed and introduced herself in the most unflustered way that she can.

“Ah, you’re the one whom I called, right?” Bomi pointed out, recalling the time when she sent Eunji to the hospital. “It’s nice to meet you again. I’m Yoon Bomi.” She smiled at her sincerely.

With that smile, Chorong’s courage meter got filled up and she smiled back. Unfortunately, another meter got filled up the moment she saw someone cling on Bomi like there was no tomorrow. She kept her smile on the face, but deep inside, a volcano was already spitting out lava that made her insides burn to death.

What made her die a little more inside is when she saw Bomi reciprocating those flirtatious actions. She also felt Eunji glancing at her, which didn’t help at all.

“Guys, this is Hani. She’s a close friend of mine.”

The taller woman beside Bomi smiled and bowed. She was wearing neon orange, fitted, and hanging long-sleeved top, exposing her milky white abdomen. It was partnered with a black, fitted, leather leggings and black chunky heels. There was also this tail-like thing that was hanging from her waist that made her ier. Afterwards, Hani leaned closer to Bomi and whispered something and giggled, before leaving the birthday girl.

Even Eunji’s mouth went agape at the sight of Bomi’s alluring friend. Upon seeing that, Chorong felt insecure as she never saw her best friend react to her like that.

“Wow…”

“I know.” Bomi laughed at the sight of her friend being at awe. She then ushered the two inside the studio-turned-bar place that she rented. Chorong directly went to the bathroom, while Eunji went along with her friend for a while. After being introduced to her other friends, Eunji saw Bomi being called by Hani. “Anyways, have fun! I’m just around here somewhere if ever you need me.” She then excused herself.

“Wait!” Eunji followed her friend to ask one final thing but even before she could say a word, Bomi tilted her head to the right with a smile, indicating the location of the person she wanted to see. “Thanks.”

“Please be careful, alright? They have no idea since we were here first.” She warned, preventing Naeun’s existence in the place to be known. Things can get messy if the word comes out. “And oh, she has been drinking even before this party officially started so…good luck, I guess?” Bomi didn’t really have any idea on how to remind Eunji about Naeun’s state whenever she drinks, so that was all she can say.

“I understand.” Eunji immediately understood what her friend meant and just smiled; convincing herself that everything would be alright. Finally, she’s going to meet the star once again and even though she wasn’t sure if this would turn out good, at least somehow she’s convinced that this meeting is a bit better than those three times when she saw her under the rain.

“Happy Birthday again!” she greeted one last time before finally heading towards the secret place where Naeun was spending her quality time with some drinks.

-----

A/N: I actually made this longer because I will probably be busy again since holidays are over. I'll try to update as much as I can, so I hope you'll be able to wait and not forget about this fic. ^^ Thank you again for subscribing and reading! ^^
        J, you better read this one haha. I dedicated a certain part for you ^^