XVI. Subconscious

Umbrella

CHAPTER 16: SUBCONSCIOUS

“You don’t have any right to hurt a woman, regardless of who you are in her life.”

Eunji recited every word with conviction as she looked down on Ilhoon; the little respect she had for the guy vanished into thin air. Decency isn’t something that is only shown through clothes and status, but also through actions. Ilhoon might be one of the most influential people in South Korea right now: he might be the owner of one of the largest companies in the country, and he might be wearing the most expensive suit and watch at the moment, but none of those matters to Eunji. What she saw was enough for her to declare that Ilhoon is a that doesn’t deserve any respect.

Ilhoon looked at the fuming woman with a smirk on his face. “You’ve got some nerve to do this to me.”

“You’ve got some nerve too. Who do you think you are to hurt Naeun?!” She replied. The tone of her voice obviously went up a notch.

Much to their surprise, Ilhoon started laughing like he just heard the funniest joke ever made. The two were just stunned, until he final stood up and wiped the tears that escaped his eyes from too much laughing. With an eerie smile plastered on his face, he amusingly looked at Eunji before he held on her shoulders. “You know, I’ve never laughed this hard in ages.” Ilhoon then patted her shoulders.

The older one just furrowed her eyebrows, still confused at how Ilhoon reacted just now. The only thing she’s sure of at the moment is that she definitely felt goosebumps creeping all over her body upon hearing his laughter. Also, the smirk that he always shows didn’t help at all. She didn’t want to admit, but she actually felt scared when she saw Ilhoon reaching for her shoulders. “W-what’s so funny?” Eunji stuttered as she asked.

“I’ll forgive you this time— uhh…what’s your name again?”  He ignored Eunji’s question as he continued patting on her shoulder. “I do advice not to do it again, though. You know, randomly joining other people’s private conversation? I hope you still remember proper etiquette. Am I right, Naeun-ah?”

Naeun could not respond and was only able to look away from her so-called boyfriend. She would never agree to something that he said and as much as how she badly wanted to throw a counter at him, Naeun knew better. Any remark that Ilhoon finds offensive wouldn’t do them any good, especially Eunji. Well, Eunji sort of threw one at him but the latter seemed more amused rather than insulted.

Just then, Bomi came into the scene and interrupted the conversation before things get out of hand. “Please. Stop it before the people inside come out to check on you.” She said as she stood in between the two. Her voice was clear, but it still sounded a bit soft and weak. “Stop already.” Bomi faced Ilhoon who was still grinning.

“Bomi-ah, it’s okay. Go back inside and rest.” Naeun tried to pull her manager away, only to be met by the latter’s hard eyes.

“Look, I’m not the one who started here.” Ilhoon defended himself as he slightly raised his hands and shrugged. “I’m just talking and clearing some things with my girlfriend. What’s wrong with that?”

“Talking? You call that talking when Naeun was obviously in pain?!” Eunji never felt this mad before; like, mad to the point that she can hit anyone regardless of the consequences ahead. Just like an automated machine locked on its target, Eunji stepped forward and was about to harm Ilhoon when Bomi took another step and blocked the latter using her body.

Meanwhile, Ilhoon just snickered at the sight of an agitated woman before he started walking away from the three of them. He gave a darting glare at Eunji as a parting gift before he finally headed his way towards the exit and vanished from their vision. Ilhoon didn’t say anything anymore after Eunji, but his actions were loud enough for the three of them to understand what he intended to say:

“We’re not yet finished.”

“Naeun-ah, go back inside now before the staff gets suspicious of your absence.” Bomi ordered the younger one as she massaged her temples.

“But—“ Naeun wanted to talk to Eunji who was trying to calm herself at the moment, but Bomi didn’t let her and continued asking her to go back inside. She also wanted to bring up what happened to Chorong just a few moments ago, but the latter just continued on being stubborn.

“I said I’ll take care of everything. Just go back and do your work, okay?” Bomi pleaded a few times before successfully making Naeun resume her work. But before the celebrity completely walked away, she gave one last look at her manager who also, most importantly, is her friend.

“Just promise me that you’ll rest afterwards, okay?” Naeun reminded the still-weak manager of hers. She also gave a concerned glance at Eunji who was still breathing deeply as she faced the wall before finally returning inside.

---

It took some time for Eunji to completely calm down as it was one of the rare times that she got legit angry at someone. If there’s something that can make Eunji’s temper bar cut down short, it would be seeing her loved ones get hurt by someone. She’d rather take the pain herself just as long as the people she cares for stay unharmed. That’s why she got short-circuited the moment she saw Naeun wincing in pain caused by the person who is claiming to love her. It was just not right in any way.

Finally, she drank the water that Bomi gave her half an hour ago.

“I assume that you’re the same old Eunji that I know now, am I right?” Bomi sat down beside her friend. “That was the first time I saw you like that, and I’ve got to admit that it was scary. Your eyes looked like you intended to beat him up to a pulp.”

“I’m sorry, Bomi-ah.” Eunji apologized as she returned the glass back on the table. “If only you have seen how that bastard manhandled Naeun…” She sighed, recalling what just happened an hour ago. “He almost slapped her!”

“I know…but I hope you do realize who you’re trying to against, Eunji-ah. He’s not just some random dude you see on the streets.”

“I don’t care.” She stubbornly responded. “If he does something like this again, I’ll make sure to kick the life out of his balls.”

Bomi shook her head. “You really don’t know what you’re saying, Eunji-ah. I swear to you I won’t let it happen again just…promise me you won’t fight him back.” She then reached for her hands and squeezed it.

“You mean I should just let him hurt Naeun?!”

“Please, you know that’s not what I meant.”

“Then what do you mean?” Eunji asked, frustrated. She’ll do everything just to protect the woman she loves, but how can she do that if she cannot fight him back? What is she supposed to do then, watch him as he abuses her more? That’s something she knew that she can’t stand seeing, so Bomi’s request seemed so unattainable for her.

“Like what I said, I won’t let something like that happen again. I promise. I know how badly you wanted to protect her, just like how you always do…” Bomi explained as she looked straight into Eunji’s eyes. “But this time, I’ll do it for you.”

“But Bomi-ah, he’ll hurt you too, and I don’t want that to happen.” The latter fought back.

“I know that, and to be honest that’s better because Ilhoon…he’s the type to attack you indirectly. You still have Chorong and your family, and their safety can be at risk if you continue fight him back. That’s the least thing you wanted to happen, right?”

Eunji wasn’t able to respond after hearing Bomi’s explanation. How can she be so stupid for not thinking about the consequences that might happen to her family? This was one of the reasons why she didn’t want to fall in love: it makes a person go blind. But then again, she also knew that love isn’t something you can keep away from yourself. She suddenly became torn as she both wanted to protect Naeun and her own family but it seemed impossible at the moment.

She can’t do anything but heave a sigh.

“So please…” Bomi held both of Eunji’s shoulders and stared at the orbs that clearly showed confusion. “All I’m asking is for your patience; lots and lots of it. Leave the rest to me, okay? I promise I won’t let him lay a hand on her.” She lightly massaged her shoulders and faintly smiled, trying her best to convince Eunji.

“Okay…” The latter hesitantly nodded and gave a tight-lipped smile.

Bomi nodded back and patted Eunji’s shoulder before reaching for the paper bag that Eunji was holding a while ago. “You almost left this.” She then handed it to the latter. “Ah also, thank you for the foods you sent. Chorong told us that you asked her to deliver these for us.”

That was when Eunji remembered seeing her best friend running away before she saw the situation between Naeun and Ilhoon. Chorong was supposed to celebrate her birthday with Bomi, but why did she leave? And based on what Bomi said, the latter probably doesn’t have any idea about the real reason why Chorong paid them…or her, a visit. “Is that what she said to you?”

“Well…yeah. She said you were worried about Naeun that’s why you sent these and actually, I have yet to apologize about what happened a while ago.” Bomi scratched the back of her head as her voice trailed off. Bomi then continued explaining upon seeing Eunji’s curious face. “You see, I have an allergy towards Pollack. I cannot eat anything with that and unfortunately, one of the rice balls has Pollack in it and I fell sick. That’s why Naeun kept on asking me to rest. I tried to talk to her but –“

“But she just continued blaming herself, right?” Eunji continued Bomi’s sentence, and the latter nodded her head. “I knew it. You know, she might have this strong and cool persona but deep inside she’s a sensitive girl. Chorong is the type who blames herself even if she didn’t mean anything harm.”

“Talking to Hani must’ve made her blame herself even more…” It was Bomi’s turn to sigh. She sat back down beside Eunji and leaned her head on the cold concrete wall behind her. “I was really surprised to find her here. If only I knew, I wouldn’t have brought…wait, I thought you couldn’t come today? Why are you here again?” Bomi furrowed her eyebrows and sent a questioning glare at Eunji.

“To be honest, I didn’t know that she would lie to you and I don’t have any idea why she did it…” Eunji bit her lower lips as she contemplated on how she would tell Bomi the truth without making her feel guilty. “I didn’t ask anything from Chorong. It’s all her idea.”

“W-what…? Then why…”

Eunji then raised the pink paper bag that she brought with her, and that’s when everything hit Bomi. It was Chorong’s birthday, and the older one intended to celebrate it with her. She knew that Eunji didn’t mean to make her feel bad, but she just can’t help it. Chorong was supposed to feel happy today but instead, the opposite happened. It was supposed to be a special day for her but after what happened, she might consider it the worst birthday that she have ever had.

Everything screwed up, and Bomi couldn’t help but break in a swear word.

“.”

---

“O-oh? What are you doing here?” Naeun’s tired eyes shot wide open at the sight of an unexpected person inside her tent.

Eunji showed the most comforting smile that she can just to make the weary celebrity feel better. “I guess I’d be your manager for tonight, Ms. Son Naeun. And by the way…” she then approached Naeun and gave her a light hug. “I’m sorry for what I did a while ago. I shouldn’t have been impulsive. I promise that I would be more patient next time.”

Naeun smiled and returned the hug. Eunji doesn’t really have to apologize, but the latter was just so nice and it amazes her every time. “It’s okay, I understand. I should be thanking you for what you did a while ago. Thank you for protecting me, although you did look kind of scary.”

“Was I?” she laughed. “It’s nothing. He doesn’t have any right to hurt you anyway.” Eunji broke the hug and led Naeun towards the table. “I bet you’re starving. Bomi left some food for us to eat.”

“Wait, what happened to the food?” Naeun asked as she saw the once feast-like table now almost empty. “And where did Bomi go? She was supposed to rest.”

“Well, she found out that it’s Chorong’s birthday today so…”

After she processed what Eunji told her, Naeun just nodded and mouthed an ‘Ahh’ as a response. She then snickered as she imagined how her manager reacted a while ago. “So, I guess you really need to fulfill Bomi’s duties for today.” Naeun teased.

“You should guide me through this. I seriously don’t know what to do.” Eunji said as she scratched her forehead. “Is it hard?”

“Well, not really. Bomi just waits for me most of the time, so that means if you’re really willing to be Bomi’s substitute for today, you should not have any plans for the rest of the day. You know, just be there when I need you.”

“That’s very easy; you know…waiting and just being there whenever you need me?” Eunji boasted since she has been doing that ever since she met Naeun. It was nothing new for her. “And don’t worry; I don’t have any plans for today so I’m totally free. Besides…”

“Hmm...?”

Eunji shrugged, but a smile was painted on her face.

“I guess someone’s unconsciously falling in love.”

---

“Bomi-ah, where do you think you’re going?” A voice erupted behind her as she felt a tight grip on her wrist. “I told you to rest, right? I just bought you medicines and now you’re going off somewhere?”

“I’m fine, Hani. Don’t worry about me.” Bomi tried to free herself from Hani’s grasp, only to be pulled back once again. By the looks of it, the older one wasn’t going to back down anytime soon.

“I’m not stupid, Yoon Bomi. I know you’re going to look for her and I won’t let that happen, not when she was the reason why you’re sick. Come on, let’s go back in.”

Frustrated about how stubborn Hani is, Bomi yanked her arm away from the latter and argued back. “Why are you blaming her? You know that it was an accident and she doesn’t have any idea about my allergies! I understand where you’re coming from, but you went too far a while ago even if you knew that it was just an accident!”

“No you don’t, Bomi. You don’t understand. I’ve been showing you for almost 4 years now how much I like you, but you’ve always just kept me at bay. Yes, we flirt with each other but that’s about it. We do it like it’s a normal thing between two people. But ever since that woman came, you’ve changed. The always cool and up-front Yoon Bomi suddenly learned how to stutter and became nervous in front of a girl whom she just met 2 years ago. Do you think I didn’t notice?”

“Heeyeon-ah, please not now…”

“What am I to you?!” Hani finally exploded. Her eyes were already b with tears as she stared at Bomi with her now red eyes.

“I swear to god, Hani. Not today, please? This is important and I need to find her. Let’s just talk later.”

“So are you saying that she’s more important than me?” Her tears streamed down her face as she continued asking Bomi with questions that the latter wasn’t ready to answer yet. “Are you choosing her over me?”

“This day is very important for her, Hani-ah. I want to make it up for her because of what happened a while ago or I’ll never forgive myself if not. And I beg you…stop asking me such questions because you don’t have any idea on how confused I am right now. So please…” Bomi pleaded one last time before finally walking away, leaving a devastated woman behind.

“B-Bomi-ah…” The older one tried to call Bomi back, but she choked on her words. She can’t help but just continue crying as she watched Bomi ride on a taxi cab and go further away from her.

---

“This is actually the second time that she’s going to spend her birthday without her family. She’s an only child and her parents started working abroad two years ago, making her all alone here in the country. Last year, I wasn’t able to come with her since my dad just came back from Dubai for a vacation. She said that she spent her birthday walking along Han River and it’s possible that she went there again this time. If not, the only other place I know where she usually sulks is inside her bedroom. I’ll try to call her again and see if she answers.”

Eunji’s words echoed inside the walls of her mind as she scanned through the area where she arrived: Han River Park, a place where a lot of people do a lot of recreational stuff, mainly exercising and having a picnic. She continued to look for a familiar figure and paced along the length of the river. Bomi squinted her eyes and checked every woman’s face that she passes by, just to make sure that she won’t miss out on Chorong. The sun was already near setting, and it’s making her anxious and worried whenever she thinks of the latter being alone in the dark. Bomi walked faster, ignoring the groans and frowning faces of the people she was bumping on.

It has been an hour already, and Bomi decided that maybe it’s time to give Eunji a call.

“White, long-sleeved polo…white, long-sleeved polo…” She continued to mutter as she waited for Eunji to answer the call. Her eyes kept wandering around the place, holding on to the chance that maybe, her vision might luckily get the sight that she was searching for. Her luck mustn’t be that bad, right?

“Hello, Bomi? Did you find her?” Eunji finally answered the call, but now it was her turn to wait for Bomi’s response. “Bomi, are you there?” The person on the other line continued to ask and call her attention, but the long pause was actually making Eunji feel like Bomi just pressed the wrong button.

Bomi wasn’t able to respond because the gods of luck just let her hit the jackpot. Chorong was sitting comfortably on the grass, eating a box of strawberry Peperos and Choco Pies as she enjoyed the sunset until its last ray of light. The cool and calm breeze passed right through Chorong’s body, making her long and glossy, dark brown hair smoothly flow along with it. And just like a diamond, her beauty immensely sparkled upon the touch of the golden light on her face and skin.

What she was seeing was breathtaking, and it was definitely a sight to die for. Bomi have always thought of Chorong as someone attractive, but this was the first time she saw her as someone ethereal.

“Yoon Bomi?” a voice suddenly interrupted her thoughts, bringing her back to reality. “Are you there?”

“Yeah…I’ll call you later.”

“Hey, are you okay? Did you find her already?” Eunji asked for the nth time already, but Bomi wasn’t aware of it. “Bomi-ah…”

“I…I just did, Eunji.” She simply replied as she slowly approached the woman at peace.

Chorong on the other hand, doesn’t have any idea that the person she wanted to spend her birthday with was already standing behind her. She continued eating the sweets that she actually used as a birthday cake, just like what she did last year. And just like a year ago, she mentally cursed herself for forgetting to bring her trench coat. Still enjoying the serenity of the surroundings, Chorong blew some hot air on her palms before rubbing it together to generate some body heat to keep her warm.

Just then, she felt something warm envelope her back. It has a bit of weight, but it provided the warmth that she needed at that time. Chorong turned her head around and was met by the smile that she fell in love with. “Yoon Bomi?”

Without a word, Bomi just sat down beside the perplexed birthday girl and placed a mat in front of them as she prepared the food that Chorong brought this morning. After setting everything up, she reached for the slice of cake and pinned a candle on it. Bomi then lit it up and tried to keep the flame alive as she started singing the birthday song.

“Happy Birthday to you~” Bomi ended the song as she presented the cake in front of Chorong.

Chorong’s eyes glistened. “Thank you.” She smiled at the younger one before blowing the candle. “I’m sorry for not telling you. I just don’t want you to feel pressured to do something about it because I know that you’re busy…”

“No, Chorong-ah. I’m the one who should apologize. I’m sorry for what happened a while ago. Please don’t blame yourself anymore…” Bomi started apologizing. “I swear, I feel fine now and you don’t have to worry anymore. I’m sorry also because…” she went on as she put down the cake back on the mat.

The older one just watched as Bomi fiddled with her fingers while apologizing. She thought Bomi cannot get any cuter, but the scene in front of her proved her the otherwise. In her eyes, she was like a ball of fluff; a toddler who was trying to apologize to her mother about a mistake that she didn’t mean to do. Chorong just wanted to engulf the girl in a tight hug, and she lost her resistance after seeing the pout that Bomi made with her small lips.

Most importantly, she was very touched and thankful for what Bomi just did. After the accident that she caused this morning, Chorong thought that this was going to be the worst birthday that she’d ever celebrate. Not even once she thought that the latter would do something as far as leaving her busy work just to look for her. It was really a surprise: a good one, that is. This is, by far, the best birthday surprise that she got in her 24 years of existence.

“Lastly, I’m sorry because I didn’t know–“ She was cut short when she felt a pair of arms tightly wrapped around her. Bomi then felt Chorong comfortably rested her chin on her shoulder and snuggled closer like she was some kind of a stuffed toy. It felt warm and nice.

“Thank you, Bbom-ah.” Chorong whispered to Bomi. It was just a simple statement of gratitude, but it was sincere and heartfelt. She cannot think of more words to express her gratitude other than those three words that just escaped .

The younger one smiled and hugged back. She knew that it was Chorong who needed the hug the most, and not her, so she just let the older one savor the moment and let herself be her teddy bear, even just for today. She just stayed put until Chorong finally decided to break free from the cozy embrace.

Bomi thought that the older one was already hungry, so she pulled every food closer for Chorong to choose. “Chorong-ah, what do you want to eat first?”

“Hmm…let’s see.” She pondered for a bit. “I kind of wanted some appetizer…”

“Appetizer…? Wait…” Bomi scanned the mat for the perfect starter. “Well how about these spicy chicken feet? It’s your favorite, right?” She looked back at Chorong who was already staring right back at her, showing the smirk that she never misses to see whenever they meet. Bomi knew that the usual Park Chorong is already back, but she’s not sure if it was a good thing or not.

“Eh…?”

“Bbom-ah.” Chorong playfully called. “Bomi-ah…”

“W-what…? Just tell me what you want to eat.” Bomi stammered, and not long after, she felt some shivers down her spine and some spark like she was jolted by electricity.

It was all because of Chorong’s mauve and moist lips currently planted on her cheek.

-----

A/N: Well, look who is back? Finally, I can have more time to write again. Sorry for making you wait for almost a month already and I hope you’re still waiting for my update. This chapter was more of a ChoMi one so I promise a 2Eun one for the next update. ^^ I would like to give a shout out to those people who just subscribed while I was still busy x) So, If you’ve reached this part of the page, I would like to say thank you for patiently waiting, reading, subscribing, commenting, and liking this story. I love you all ^^

AH, and again if you wanted to ask me something or just message me or whatever (well if you just want to haha) here's my ask fm ^^ CLICK! :D sorry for the shameless promotion again haha