XXV. Stars

Umbrella

CHAPTER 25: STARS

“It’s so beautiful…” A peaceful smiled formed on her face as she stretched out on the wooden bench in the garden with her head propped on its arm rest, directly facing at the sky.

It was that kind of night that Yeondoo enjoyed the most – a cool night with a clear, deep violet sky adorned with countless of sparkling gems encompassing the whole horizon. Every night after her work shift in the resort, she ends up on the same spot in this hidden paradise that she found, just looking at the variety of stars that were looking down on her. She didn’t know why, but she was just drawn into them. It was like those twinkling dots were trying to talk to her for some reason.

It all started more than a year ago when she was still new in the resort and still having trouble to interact with the people she never knew. Due to that she received a lot of stress, and she didn’t know what to do until she just decided to look up one night and saw the marvelous scenery that she never noticed. Unexpectedly, she felt relieved that’s why since then, it became a daily routine for her except whenever the sky looked like it was threatening to rain.

“Aren’t you going back yet?”

Yeondoo’s head faced sideward and immediately recognized the person who was approaching her. “You really walked here in pajamas? Do you want to get cold?” She asked in disbelief as she sat up. “And why did you go out alone at this time?”

“Well you’re also alone and aren’t wearing anything warm either.” Soo-ah responded as she took the empty seat beside her friend. “Anyway, it’s almost midnight and you’re still not back in your room when I checked so I went here.”

“It’s almost twelve?!” The older one replied in surprise, immediately checking the time on her watch. “Wow…I didn’t even notice that it has been that long already.”

“You never notice anyway.” Soo-ah teased. “It’s like time doesn’t exist for you whenever you’re in here.”

The latter could only sigh as she tilted her head upwards to look at the stars once again. “It’s just that…it’s so relaxing here. And I have this weird feeling that one of these stars holds the answers to my questions, you know.”

“Ah, questions about your real identity?”

 Yeondoo nodded. “I feel like, all I have to do is just look for the right one, and that certain star would be the one to lighten up my dimmed memories.”

“You are one weird human being, Kang Yeondoo.” Soo-ah laughed. “Are you sure you’re not an alien?”

“I know, and I’m actually not disregarding the possibility of being an alien.” Yeondoo answered with her wit, and the two of them ended up laughing and teasing each other for quite some time.

“If you’re looking for the one that will enlighten you up then maybe you need to look for the brightest star, don’t you think?” Soo-ah then went back to the topic as she leaned her head on Yeondoo’s shoulder.

“That’s what I’m doing.” She smiled.

“But…what if you never get to find that star and…never get back your memories?” Soo-ah hesitantly asked, glancing at the older one who became quiet as she pondered.

Truth to be told, Soo-ah felt sad whenever Yeondoo talked about regaining back her lost identity since she knew that once it happens, the latter would leave them and return where she truly belonged. She’s already loved by the townspeople even if it hasn’t been that long since she arrived in the community, and for sure everyone would be sad to see her go. If only Yeondoo could stay with them forever. But then then again, she didn’t want to be selfish and deprive the latter of her real happiness that’s why she promised to support in any way that she can.

Yeondoo then let out a deep breath before she spoke up. “I’ve been thinking about that recently too and honestly…I’ll just let my fate to take its course. Of course I would really want to remember anything but if ever I fail to, I don’t mind. Yes, there will still be emptiness inside but I know that it in time it will be filled up with new, wonderful memories.”

The answer made Soo-ah really happy, but she chose to not express it and reply as neutral as she can. “Ah, I see. Let’s just hope for the best then.”

The two stayed silent for a while as both got lost in the magnificent view of the midnight sky, but having different thoughts as they do so. While Soo-ah thought of how she could spend her every day with Yeondoo to its fullest, the latter heaved a long sigh as she voiced out a question that suddenly popped in her mind.

“Do you think someone out there is also staring at the same sky, thinking of me?”

---

“Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you…” Bomi sung ever so lightly to Chorong who was tucked beside her, arm resting on her tummy and head lying on her chest. Her finger traced her girlfriend’s arm as she continued to hum before planting a soft kiss on the crown of her head.

“I thought you were already asleep.” A gentle smile formed as she snuggled closer to Bomi. “Thank you, Bbom-ah…”

“I’ll sleep later.” She snuggled, breathing in the scent of Chorong’s hair that always made her more relaxed.

“Aren’t you tired yet?” she asked worriedly. “And you have to wake up very early too.”

“I know. You probably won’t see me anymore when you wake up later.” Bomi heaved a sigh. “And that’s why I can’t sleep yet. I want to spend more time with you.”

“But you need to—“

“Chorong-ah, I’m not that type to just immediately crash after a passionate then leave the next morning without any word.” Bomi pulled herself up, ushering her girlfriend to sit up as well. She then took the blanket and covered their bare skin before pulling in Chorong closer once again. “We rarely saw each other ever since Naeun accepted another casting offer, and we can’t even have a proper phone conversation. Of course I wanted to know how your day went by, and I wanted you to know what happened to me today too. And the fact that it’s your birthday but I won’t be able to be with you the whole day…”

This bold statement made Chorong’s heart flutter once again. Before, she thought that once you fall there’s nowhere to go but to rise out of it. But within two years they’ve been together, Bomi just repeatedly proved her otherwise. The older one never knew that she could still sink in this much despite of how deep she already fell for the younger one.

She then looked up and planted a kiss on Bomi’s cheek, remembering everything that her wonderful girlfriend has done for her. “Thank you, Bbom-ah…for everything.”

Bomi shook her head. Taking Chorong’s free hand, she clasped their hands together and intertwined their fingers. “Isn’t this what a girlfriend should normally do? Besides, I told you before, right? I’ll make it up to you every day, forever, in any possible way that I can. I promised to never let you go again. I’ll never make the same mistake that I did that night— If only I chased you and pulled you back…If only I believed in you…”

“Bomi-ya…” She gently called out her name, putting a halt on Bomi’s words. “It’s not your fault. Besides, I’m not even sure about what I saw anymore. Everything about that day became very blurry after I woke up.”

“I’m sorry. I just can’t help it.” She heaved a sigh. “For me, it was the biggest mistake I’ve done in my life. There isn’t a day that I am not reminded of what happened to you and Eunji, and it still hurts. It really hurts. Eunji’s gone like that, while you still can’t go back to your daily routine because of the trauma it caused you.”

“I’m still hurting too. And even if Naeun doesn’t say it, I know that she’s far from accepting that she’s already gone.” Chorong added. “But none of us pointed a finger at you for anything. I’m also 100% sure that Eunji wouldn’t either, so stop being too hard on yourself.” She said carefully as she tightened her hold on Bomi’s hand.

“I…I’ll try my best.” The younger one answered hesitantly as she breathed deeply.

“If Eunji was given a chance to visit you for a night, I’m sure that’s what she’s going to say too.” Chorong continued on reassuring her still bothered partner. “Just imagine that whenever you feel that way again.”

“If she would visit me in a not horrific way, then I would really appreciate that.” Bomi joked to lighten up the atmosphere. “Even if she’s a friend, I’m still afraid of ghosts.”

Chorong snickered. “Not going to lie, I think she wouldn’t even bother doing so even if she’s given a chance. Knowing Eunji, she’s probably too busy staring at her beloved stars up-close.”

“I beg to differ— I think she’ll grab the opportunity without any hesitation and even ask for an extension.” Bomi reasoned back with a smirk.

“And why is that?” Chorong cocked and eyebrow as she gave a questioning glare at Bomi.

“So what if she’s up there with the stars, when she left her most beloved star behind?”

---

“What are you doing up here?”

Naeun glanced behind her before looking back up at the clear, starless sky of Seoul. “What are you doing here?” she asked dispassionately.

“I said I was coming over for dinner, remember?” Ilhoon slowly approached his girlfriend. “What are you doing here?” He repeated the question.

Annoyed by just hearing his voice, she closed her eyes and breathed out heavily. “Nothing.”

The young man looked at the direction that Naeun was looking at and scoffed. “If you’re looking for a star, you’re just wasting your time. Let’s go in.” He then grabbed her wrist, and she immediately pulled away.

“As far as I remember, we agreed that I can do anything that I want as long as I get back with you.” She leered at him. “And don’t touch me.”

Ilhoon gave a small and sharp laugh. “And as far as I remember, you’re my girlfriend, Son Naeun. Is this how a girlfriend should treat her boyfriend?”

“On camera, no, this isn’t how I should treat you. But there are no cameras around, so there’s no need for me to lie, right?”

Naeun’s sass was already getting in to his nerves as his fists started to clench, but he still tried to remain calm. “Look, there are no stars here in Seoul. So if I were you, just give up and come back inside.”

“I know there’s one.”

“And where is it? I don’t see any.”

“That’s why I’m looking for it, and I won’t stop until I see it again.”

“Please.” Ilhoon closed his eyes as he massaged his temples. “Let’s go back inside and eat. It’s getting colder already.”

“I don’t feel cold. I don’t think there will be something else colder than this world that I had no choice but to live in.” The celebrity countered, very straightforwardly. “Go ahead if you feel cold.”

“You —“ The young CEO finally snapped, baring his teeth in a gesture of frustration. “Fine, freeze here to death!” Ilhoon finished before he stormed back inside the building.

The moment he disappeared from her sight, Naeun tilted her head upwards and looked at the sky once again. The inner city evening welkin was completely slate, basically just like how her life is at the moment. She can’t see any light, not even a dot that could make her feel optimistic. Defeated, her eyes became moist as her chest heaved for a long and deep exhale.

Tears then silently fell.

“I miss you…”

---

 There were tall grasses everywhere. Everything felt heavy as she continued to run, and it felt like she was going to collapse anytime soon.

“Faster, she might get away! Boss will kill us if that happens!”

Upon hearing the voice quite near her already, she pushed her almost buckling knees to its limits and ran faster in the seemingly endless field of greens. She just ran and ran, until she heard a screeching sound on her left.

“Hey!!!”

Yeondoo bolted up from her peaceful sleep, gripping tightly on the ends of her blanket. went agape as she panted for air while her whole body was covered with cold sweat, while her head felt like it was going to split in half.

“Boss…again…” Yeondoo groaned in pain and in disappointment about the fact that it was still the same dream that haunted her ever since.

----

A/N: Hi, I’m back ^^

So hopefully you guys liked this chapter. ^^ Don’t worry, they’ll meet again soon. I promise. I’m just paving the way, I guess? ^^

Like always, thank you for patiently waiting, reading, subscribing (hello to my new subs!), commenting, and liking this story. You guys are amazing. ^^