XII. Connection

Umbrella

CHAPTER 12: CONNECTION

“Ahh…why…” Bomi sighed as she counted the coins in her purse. She was about to buy something from the vending machine, only to realize that she doesn’t have enough coins for the food that she wanted to buy. It’s already ten in the morning; she still hasn’t eaten anything ever since she woke up and she feels like there’s an ongoing war inside her stomach. It was one of the sensations that she hated, and it really to experience it today.

She was about to go back when she suddenly felt a presence behind her, followed by the sound of coins clanking at each other as it travelled inside the machine, and then finally, a thud on the bottom.

It’s a triangle rice ball.

With eyes wide open, Bomi felt chills down her spine the moment she turned around and saw a familiar person smiling right back at her. “P-Park Chorong…”

“Hello.” Chorong bravely stared at the latter with a gentle smile on her face. Without breaking the eye contact, she took a step forward, making Bomi take a step back and let her back hit the vending machine.

These sudden movements made the younger one petrified on the spot. It was terrifying for her, knowing that the older one in front of her, who just confessed last night, unknowingly left such impact which was enough to make her feel electrified. Everything unknown that she was feeling suddenly went up a notch when Chorong slightly bent her knees and extended her reach below. Bomi could already feel her shirt in contact with the older one’s cheek.

“Are you nervous?” she nonchalantly added. Chorong can clearly hear the latter’s racing heartbeat, and it made her giggle deep inside. What happened last night must have had left an impression, and from how it looked like, it seemed like she was going the right way. She also tried stifling her laugh the moment she heard Bomi’s stomach grumble, obviously wanting something to digest. Chorong then stood up straight and gave another smile before grabbing Bomi’s hand. “Eat well.” she handed the rice ball.

“N-no, I’m not.” Bomi blinked for a few times before she was able to think straight once again. “And this is yours –“

“You’re short in coins, right? Take it. Besides, your stomach seems so angry already.”

“I’m not hung—“The same grumbling sound interrupted Bomi’s excuse. “Ah, yeah…thank you.” Bomi finally admitted.

Chorong bowed and was about to leave when a warm touch wrapped around her wrist and made her stop on her tracks. She knew that wasn’t hungry, but she suddenly felt her insides turn upside down. She thought that she was going strong and cool like she always is, but why is she trembling? Chorong then faced Bomi, and saw the most adorable smile that she had ever seen, although she wasn’t sure if she regrets it or not since it also made her feel weaker deep inside.

“Please come with me so I can pay you.” Bomi offered, without releasing the grip on the latter’s wrist.

“It’s fine, really. You don’t need to.” The older one tried her best to reject as the warmth started to get the best of her. She felt her cheeks burning already.

“Then maybe at least, let me walk you back?” The younger one smiled more, and that was when Chorong wasn’t able to resist anymore. She thought that her casual acting was already working until she realized that she was holding Chorong’s wrist longer than they both expected, and it sure made her go back to square one. “A-ah, sorry.” She stuttered once again as she immediately let go of her and apologized.

“It’s fine.” Chorong replied after she turned her back on Bomi, trying to hide the pinkness of her cheeks. She then started walking away, and not long enough she heard footsteps following behind her.

The both of them stayed quiet as they walked towards their destination. Bomi was following Chorong, and in Chorong’s list of dislikes, this has got to be one of them. Maybe because she has always experienced being followed by people whom she didn’t know and of course, it made her feel uncomfortable. This applies to all, even to her closest friends that’s why Eunji never walked behind her ever since her best friend knew about it.

Chorong sighed as she observed Bomi through the glass panels along the corridor. She kind of expected Bomi to walk faster, but the latter was just enjoying her snack like a little kid who was trailing behind her mother. She thought that Bomi was going to walk her back, but it doesn’t seem right in Chorong’s eyes.

“Bomi-ah, what are you doing?” She voiced out as she decided to stop walking and look back at the latter with an eyebrow raised.

Bomi swallowed her food first before answering, “Uhh…escorting you back…?” she showed an awkward grin. The younger one was sure that she wasn’t doing anything wrong, that is why she was taken aback with Chorong’s question. The older one just blinked at her as a response, and it made her more confused. “Is there something wrong?”

She sighed, but also cannot help but chuckle at the sight of Bomi being clueless. Chorong then reached for Bomi’s arm and pull her closer, right beside her. “You were doing it wrong, Bbom-ah. Have you seen an walking behind the person he’s accompanying?”

The next thing that Bomi knew is that she felt an arm over her shoulders before they went on walking. Her thoughts wandered again as she pondered about the woman right next to her. Usually, when you like a person, your knees would get weak just at the sight of the person you adore so what more if you get to stand right next to him? What more if you confessed? Obviously you won’t have any courage to look at him again. That was always the case…

“Yoon Bomi.”

“O-oh?” The younger one responded, snapping back to reality.

Chorong flashed an innocent smile. “From now on, you would only walk right beside me, okay?”

That was always the case, but Chorong sure is different.

---

“9-9-8…that’s impressive.”

Eunji lost her concentration the moment that familiar voice entered her ears, making her release it to early. The arrow landed on a 5, but she really didn’t bother about the break on her wonderful record and looked back just to see who the person was. Well, she actually did know who but she just wanted to confirm. “You’re here too?” The chances of them meeting this randomly creeps her out.

“Sorry about that.” Naeun apologized about the distraction that she caused. “And to answer your question, I’m actually shooting but we’re on a break.”

She might not watch television that often, but seeing Yoo Jaesuk and Song Jihyo outside was already enough for her to guess what show she was filming. Besides, it was one of the few shows that she consistently watches. “So…I guess you’d be shooting some arrows later?” Eunji asked as she put down her bow and arrow.

“You could say that.” Naeun leaned on the railing which was the boundary of the shooting line. “But knowing how this show works, there’s a big chance that we might do a mission totally unrelated with the venue.” She shrugged. “Anyway, why are you here alone? I thought you have classes?”

“I’m with a friend.” Eunji replied with a gentle smile. “She asked me to skip classes so she can treat me as a birthday gift.”

“Park Chorong?”

Eunji just nodded, not really surprised that Naeun knew her best friend’s name. Bomi probably have talked to her about what happened last night. And now, considering the fact that Naeun is here, it now makes sense as to why her friend suddenly went restless and left her alone in the court. Chorong probably saw them first while she was busy being Artemis.

She looked back at the target area with her hands holding the equipment once again when an idea suddenly popped in her mind. “Would you like to try?” she asked Naeun and handed her the bow.

“I am not good with sports, remember?” she nicely rejected.

“I’ll teach you then.”

Even before Naeun could refuse again, Eunji already managed to remove her arm guard and belt quiver, immediately putting it on the younger one. Even the finger tab and the chest guard that she wasn’t wearing a while ago despite the fact that she was a beginner too, she made Naeun wear it. After everything has been set, she motioned Naeun to stand at the center.

“I never knew that this is quite heavy.” She commented when she tried lifting the bow. Her left arm went wobbly as she tried to aim the device.

“Here…” Eunji stood behind Naeun and held her arm as a support and started instructing her. “So you put the arrow like this, and pull it like this…” she hovered her other arm over the younger one’s chest as she reached for the bowstring.

“You pull until it reaches under here, right?” Naeun added the knowledge that she got back from when she watched a live archery competition a few years ago. She then reached for Eunji’s hand, which was still holding the string, and pulled it until her hand made in contact with her chin.

“Yes…” Eunji agreed. “Now look through the bow sight and steadily aim…” she tiptoed and peeked through the small hole from Naeun’s shoulder.

“Should I release it now?” Naeun asked after she was sure of her aim and then turned her head to look at Eunji.

“Y-yeah…”

Both of them stayed silent when they finally realized how close they were. Their bodies in contact, their faces only a few inches apart, it finally sank in their system and it was Naeun who first turned away. The arrow darted as both of them unknowingly loosened their grip, and it miraculously landed on a nine. With that, Eunji immediately took a few steps back from the younger one and complimented her, trying to remove the sudden awkwardness that the both of them felt.

“Nice. That was good.” Eunji clapped as she nodded before giving a thumbs-up. “You’re a fast learner.” She praised her more.

“I should try it again, right?” Naeun responded without looking at Eunji. She raised the loaded bow again and tried to aim, but her arm just cannot keep up with the weight of the equipment. Upon seeing this, Eunji went closer again to hold on the latter’s arm, but maintaining a distance this time.

With Eunji’s assistance, Naeun kept on getting scores ranging in between seven to nine. The scores made Naeun really happy, and it also made it hard for her to put the bow down. Eunji was feeling great as well as she saw the amusement on the celebrity’s face. The now light atmosphere between the two went on for a while, until a recognized voice brought them from their dream-like moment back to reality.

“I guess Eunji’s a great teacher.”

“But she’s a beginner too.” A kid like voice argued back, and this time it was Eunji‘s turn to recognize.

“You two were together?” Eunji joined in the conversation as she turned around and faced the two. “I guess you two have gotten close, huh?” she teased, looking at her best friend. Chorong just replied with a glare.

“Naeun-ah, it’s almost time for filming. We should be going back.” Bomi said and patted the younger one’s back. She then turned to the two and waved. “We’ll be going first. Thank you for a while ago, Miss Park Chorong.” She bowed.

“See you soon, Bomi-ah.” Chorong waved back. Bomi on the other hand, wasn’t sure why she felt scared with what the older one said.

Seeing Bomi heading out first, Naeun also bid farewell to her friend. “Eunji-ya, thanks for teaching me. See you sometime soon, I guess.”

“Of course.” Eunji sounded sure and unsure; unsure, considering everything about Naeun’s career, and sure because she would really make a way for them to meet. Even though the latter sounded quite leaning to the term unconcerned, she knew that that’s what Naeun wants as well. She can feel it.

After Naeun left the area, Chorong playfully nudged her best friend. “Preventing her feelings to turn into something deeper, huh? Who are you kidding?”

“I didn’t say that I would also abandon our friendship.” Eunji reasoned out.

“Well, good luck with that.” The older one commented, obviously unconvinced. She can already imagine Eunji falling deeper in love with Naeun, and it actually pains her to Eunji love without getting anything back. For her, it would be best to stay away, but she knew Eunji like the back of her hand so she’s also sure that it was something impossible for the younger one. “Anyway, where would you want to go next?” she then hung her arm over her best friend’s shoulders.

“I feel like singing right now.”

“Karaoke it is!” Chorong exclaimed and dragged her friend out of the court.

It was Eunji’s turn to tease as she pulled back. “And while you’re at it, please tell me about your mini date with Bomi a while ago.” She showed a smirk.

The two of them walked away towards the parking lot. Eunji gave one last glance at the filming location where she saw Naeun running with her teammates, before completely turning around and never looked back. Chorong on the other hand, just recalled everything that happened earlier and treasured every bit of it. She smiled to herself, knowing that more of those would happen in the future.

From afar, Naeun witnessed the two from walking out of the court, until the car they were in drove away. With a lopsided smile plastered on her face, she focused back on her job and resumed on doing the mission that they received. Meanwhile, Bomi was just playing a game on her phone as she waited for Naeun, losing from time to time especially whenever she hears Chorong’s voice in her head saying “See you soon, Bomi-ah”. She just heaved a sigh whenever it happens.

Just like that, another day went by with them leading on their individual lives. However, the four of them were thinking of the same thing: that what happened today is just a confirmation that future they envisioned before is now completely different, since every single one of them is now connected with each other.

Whatever happens to any one of them now would surely have an effect to the rest.

-----

A/N: Sorry for the long wait and I hope this update quenched your thirst from the last chapter’s drought of 2eun and ChoMi. I really hope you still like my story even though it moves slowly unlike others…Anyway, thanks for reading, subscribing, commenting and liking my work! I hope you guys are still interested in it haha x) I love you all. ^^