Painless Acceptions

BEAST

That following night, Baeri and her family spend time in a Sauna. They were happily enjoying themselves. Laughing, chatting, teasing and love were in the air. Baeri’s father threw a towel towards her big brother; they were fighting over who could win over rock, paper, and scissors and so far, her big brother won. Baeri watch them with a bright big smile, when her mother nudges her on the arm.

“Baeri... Is there any improvement with this Yoseob boy?”

“Mom...” Baeri voice trailed off. She blushed.

“What? I’m just curious after knowing my daughter have a little crush with a cute boy like that...” she said unknowingly making Baeri more blushing.

“I don’t like talking about it...” she said honestly.

“Why? Not?”

“Because, you are my mom... you shouldn’t budge in my love life...”

“Well now... I’m your mom, and if you get marry some day, this mom of yours will still be there...exist in your marriage life... isn’t that the same...”

Baeri got caught. Her mother knows how to make things twisted. She couldn’t avoid it but she can always just laugh about it. She shook her head.

“There’s no improvement... and will you please, no more questions...”

“What? No improvement?” she asked with a ridiculous smile.

“Mother...no more question... stop it right there... I need to go to the restroom...” Baeri stood up with a small laugh she walks away leaving her mother.

Sometime she needed a break from her family for being too caring for her life, especially her mother. Her mother found out about her liking Yoseob from Oh Ji when she visited Baeri’s place one long time ago and because of that Oh Ji keep on apologizing for being such a big mouth. Baeri chuckle remembering that time, when Oh Ji bow at her all the time, and even if she was embarrassed seeing her best friend does that, but she couldn’t help but love how it make her felt.

“What do you mean; I never applied to any foolish further study in USA? I don’t want to leave Seoul and you would have known that better” a voice came outside the public rest room. A guy voice “And why did you need me to see you here? Why can’t we meet in a restaurant or something?”

“It’s not illegal coming here and stop being so arrogant...I couldn’t take it anymore DooJoon, I might be your aunt but that doesn’t mean I can’t treat you like my own son...”

“Your own son?” the voice chuckle evilly. “Why on earth...” before he continues, a slap land on his cheek.

“I never felt so humiliate by your saying DooJoon... It’s time for you to realize that what you have become can never bring you happiness...I’m doing this for your best, think about it” as the voice trailed off, Baeri heard no more and she began to get out when she sees DooJoon upset looks with his one hand on his cheek. He turn towards who was looking at him.

“You...” he urge, pointing his one finger towards Baeri. Baeri sigh. He must have remembered that morning before she saw Yoseob and ran off.

“Hmm... sorry again for today...” she said and was about to take off.

“Wait...I’m not done...” DooJoon grab Baeri on her arm, when Baeri saw his bruise. It looks very swollen. She felt sorry for him, without noticing she let her hand touches the bruise. DooJoon grunt from the sting feeling when she touches his bruise.

“Come here...” she said and pulls DooJoon. She grabs a towel and asks for the server for ice cubes. She put the ice inside the towel, while DooJoon watch all over her doings. Then the towel of ice landed on his face without warning and he scream as much as he wants. Everyone around watch at him, irritated by it and Baeri apologize on his behalf.

After a while, DooJoon bruise didn’t  feel stingy anymore. He look at Baeri, she was staring at him like he was a little boy, then he got unease feeling with that stare of hers, so he look away. Han Baeri didn’t realize, she just sat beside him without any word, serious looks was written all over her face. DooJoon clears his throat.

“Thanks...” he said. Baeri didn’t response so he repeated “Thanks...”

“I heard you...”

“But why didn’t you response to my gratitude...”

“Because I don’t know what to say...” she honestly said, a little rising by the tone. Baeri shook her head, confuse on why she gotten angry with him all of a sudden. DooJoon turn away, feeling hurt.

“I’m sorry...” DooJoon apologize. It was freaking him out actually, he rarely said sorry or thank you to anyone but with this girl in front of him, his mouth couldn’t stop saying it.

“That’s alright...” Baeri said with a sincere smile. She actually thought that she was the one who was suppose to say sorry, but she let it be; because it’s never too easy to get an apologize from someone as arrogant as DooJoon. She knows that it’s so wrong, but sometime it’s no wrong to feel that good. Plus it’s Yoon DooJoon, for goodness sake.  

“I guess you heard everything in there?”

Seeing Baeri nodded, he sighs. He made a face that reads -Great, the whole school will know how I got slap on the face-. Baeri chuckle upon seeing how obvious he was, making DooJoon glances, and one of his eyebrows raised. He thought she was crazy but he didn’t say anything.

“Do you think that I’m that stupid to go around the school and spread the news knowing that our BELOVED Mr. President got slap on the face?” she asked giggling, a little high pitch on the beloved word. DooJoon smile, that had made Baeri stop laughing. She never thought DooJoon had smile of an angel, but why does he have to be a devil all the time.

“So you won’t tell anyone?” he asked.

“No...” Baeri said it straight.

DooJoon sigh, relief knowing that the girl was quite generous. There he thought that girl really hates him for being a jerk earlier that day, and he was about to tell her he didn’t meant what he said, but then his ego wins over, he just shut tied knowing that he doesn’t even know this girl name at all.

“What’s your name?”  

“My name is Baeri...Han Baeri...”

He nodded, he was grateful. He was actually glad meeting Baeri in some ways, when he realize the time ticking, he stands straight and clearing his throat. He nodded and bow at Baeri, showing his respect and gratitude for treating him well and being a nice person.

“Thanks again Baeri...” he said as he walks away leaving the hot spring hut and never to put a step in again there. He wishes he never did come, but what happened, happens.