Chapter Three

Haven's Heaven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter Three

Kyuhyun had no idea whether he was supposed to follow everyone inside of the war room or not. He wasn't sure if being on trial was enough for him to be part of the alliance's meetings. But then again, Jungsu had said 'we are going to save someone from the gallows' yesterday to Kyuhyun and the 'we' surely indicating that Kyuhyun was definitely to be involved in the plan.

After contemplating it a couple more times, Kyuhyun eventually decided he was indeed welcome and followed some bulky dude inside, before closing the door behind him as he was the final person to walk in.

He looked around hesitantly and couldn't find any empty chair for him to sit on. The room was large and the table that stood in the middle of the room was surrounded by many seated alliance members. Kyuhyun wondered if these were all the members there were and if that would mean they would be one seat short, as Kyuhyun was probably not yet really accounted for.

Then suddenly, some movement on his left caught his attention. He turned to see whom or what was desperately trying to get him to look that way and saw Henry, the boy he had seen a bit too much from this morning, waving at him furiously. As soon as  Henry noticed he was looking at him, he pointed at an empty chair next to him and motioned for Kyuhyun to come over and sit on it.

Kyuhyun didn't wait one more second and rushed over to Henry before anyone could notice him awkwardly standing in a corner while everyone else was seated down properly. As he slumped down on the last remaining empty chair in the room, he turned to Henry and mouthed a 'thank you'. Henry replied with a nod and a smile before turning back to Jungsu, who had just stood up and scraped his throat to gain everyone's attention.

"We have 3 hours to prepare everything, let's hurry shall we?" Jungsu said and before Kyuhyun knew it he was listening to many members discussing a plan that sounded that outrageous that Kyuhyun mildly wondered if everyone involved had some sort of death wish. 

"I really don't feel comfortable doing this," Kyuhyun mumbled to Henry and a dude named Hyukjae who had tagged along as well. "If this plan succeeds and everyone lives including the person we are ought to save from the freaking gallows I will personally bake my clothes and eat them."

He continued to fiddle some window frames to find an easy way to get in the house they were standing in front of. They had around 1 more hour until the plaza they were at would be swamped with people, including the King, who would all come to see five people dying as if it was a nice way to spend your afternoon.

"You shouldn't underestimate Jungsu's plan, he knows what he's doing," Hyukjae replied, a little angrily because this new kid was doubting their old experienced leader. This new kid, who had just been introduced to the rest of the team as Cho Kyuhyun, their new thief.

"Don't worry Kyuhyun, your only job is to get some of us up there," Henry briefly paused and pointed up to the roof, "and you'll be done. You can leave after and you'll be completely safe," Henry smiled at him reassuringly. "For all it matters, you'll never be put in danger during your trial, Jungsu will make sure of that."

Kyuhyun still wasn't convinced but decided to not bother about it for now. He wanted to be far away from this place before the ceremony would start, and thus he had one house left to break into and only limited time to do so.

He sighed in relief as one of the windows unexpectedly opened without any effort -the other house he had broken into 15 minutes earlier hadn't allowed him this luck - and smirked at Hyukjae and Henry. The later patted him on the shoulder as a way to tell him he did well, Hyukjae however only snorted before going inside the empty house and made way towards the roof quickly.

"Maybe you should come up with us after all," Henry said from within the house to Kyuhyun, who was about to turn around and return to the alliance's shelter (read: safety). "It might help you to see us all in action; I know you want out, I can see the hesitance and fear in your eyes."

Kyuhyun turned back to Henry, a smile plastered on his face, ready to decline his offer, when suddenly music started playing. Henry's face turned slightly pale and he pulled Kyuhyun through the window inside the house before closing it.

"No choice, the ceremony is starting," he mumbled, before hastily going after Hyukjae, who was already stationed on the roof.

.

Kyuhyun closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath to assure himself everything would be okay. And if not, he could always grab a pan from the house's kitchen and hit himself on the head with it and hope people would mistake him as the owner of the house who had been knocked out by the alliance members as they broke into his house. 

Yeah, that sounded like a plan.

It took forty-five minutes for the plaza to nearly completely fill up. The gallows with five ropes hanging from it had already been placed at the plaza the day before - at least that's what Kyuhyun guessed - and he knew three alliance members were hiding underneath it. But even with that knowledge, no matter how hard he tried he couldn't see them. The wood really shielded them from being seen, and he couldn't help but hope it would remain as such when those that had gotten the death sentence would be brought up to their respective rope.

Even though the plan sounded outrageous, he still had some lingering hope that one day the alliance would save everyone from the King's rule. If they could pull this plan off, his faith in the alliance could be slightly restored again.

It would give him a reason to stay a little while longer without feeling like a complete lunatic for even considering helping them out.

It would be a 'low drop' as Jungsu had explained at the meeting, which most members sighed about in relief. Kyuhyun wasn't really sure if that would be better though. A 'long drop' would mean breaking your neck when the fall ended and dying instantly, but a 'low drop' would mean they had to suffocate by the rope itself, which could take up to twenty minutes, if not longer. 

Then again, having

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter