Second

Mon Ciel

Beside me, I could see my three friends tensing up because both Sehun and Donghae were walking in front of us. I turn to face them and rolled my eyes at how nervous they were. Was there any reason to be? I continued walking, taking long strides, before I heard a grumble and I bumped right into someone's back, dropping my phone and wallet in the process.

Upon hearing the sound of my phone screen cracking against the ground due to the impact of the fall, my heart fell. Oh great, my dad is going to kill me. By now, I was fully aware all attention was on us, and I was wishing that someone else would kill me now. I hate when attention is on me. One of the few reasons why I hate presentations.

While I was still stunned, I felt the familiarity of soft leather against my palm. When I looked up, I saw that Sehun had picked my wallet up for me and returned it to my hand. He was scratching the nape of his neck nervously, reminding me of how Jongin did just that just hours ago.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there," Sehun apologized, looking me straight in the eyes. He seemed sincerely apologetic, which was the complete opposite of what I expected. What I expected was for the both of them to blow their tops on me and shout at me for being in their way. I didn't expect Sehun to react so... nicely.

Without giving me a chance to respond, Donghae spoke up. "I think we'd better go get this fixed," he said, holding my phone by two fingers and looking hopelessly at it. I released myself from Sehun's stare and shifted my attention to Donghae. He was right to stare at it in that way. My phone did look beyond repair. It was slightly bent at the side too.

"How about you come with us to the mall later after school? I'll pay for it," Sehun suggested, now smiling at me. This is the first time I've seen his eye smile up close, and I have to admit- it's captivating.

"We'll take that as a yes then," Donghae replied before tossing my now useless phone into the trash. He grabbed Sehun by the arm and started to walk away before turning back to face me. "See you later, it's a date!"

That earned a few gasps from the watching audience. I literally did not know what to say, so I bolted right out of there and took a turn towards the back of the school rather than the cafeteria like I had originally planned. I didn't even know what had gone over me. Why was I so stunned and why was I so nervous even after they left? I'm not kidding when I say I'm bad at social situations, although I try.

Once I got to the back of the school where the small study corner is, I took a deep breath, enjoying the fresh air. The garden by the side looked amazing as it always did. For a moment, I forgot all my worries- though I don't really know why I was even worried. And this is why I like to come to this part of the school whenever I'm feeling down. It's peaceful and there's very rarely anyone here, so I could cry to myself even if I wanted.

Deciding to stay here for the rest of the break, I started towards the tables and found one in the furthest corner and settled for it. The last thing I want is for anyone to see me because I really was not in the mood for talking. But of course, that was too good to be true.

Just as I sat down, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Jongin standing there with a Pepsi in his left hand and his spectacles on his right. "Hi," I greeted, a little surprised. Without his glasses on I noticed how alluring his eyes actually were. I mentally reminded myself not to be too caught up in them.

What I noticed after that was that he didn't greet back. Neither did he smile back, for that matter. All he did was point to the empty space beside me and at first I thought he had wanted me to move in and make space for him to sit, but when I looked at where his finger was pointing, I instead saw his slingbag there. Oh, I had 'stolen' his seat.

Getting up and making sure my skirt wasn't folded on its ends, I bowed a little in apology and started towards the opposite table. When I was seated, I found that I was facing Jongin, who had taken out our Chemistry textbook and was now reading it.

"What?"

I was suddenly aware of how intently I was gazing at him and that this time, he noticed. He didn't look angry, no, but he seemed expressionless. I shook my head in reply, and he shrugged before going back to reading.

Just as I was captivated by Sehun, somehow I was also captivated by Jongin. But not in the same way. Sehun is more charming, more friendly. Jongin, in this case, seemed more mysterious, and despite how he reacted, also seemed to be more inviting. Call it my intuition.

When I heard footsteps making their way towards us, firm and hard on the soft grass, I already knew who it was without having to look up. Jongin had left the classroom with Taemin. I sighed at the thought. Would things get awkward? Nevertheless, we were friends and I decided to be polite. I looked up and our eyes met, and for the first time in a long time, Taemin smiled at me once more. 

Normally, I would react by nodding my head, but this was Taemin and I don't know... I guess I missed him? So I smiled brightly back at him. A flash of relief came across his face and inside, I felt relieved too.

"There's the smile I haven't seen in a while," he commented before sitting down in front of Jongin, which fortunately or unfortunately meant he was back facing me. My heart was beating faster and I was getting my hopes up of getting my best friend back. 

I shook my head, cursing myself mentally for even thinking about it. I know where expectations lead. I'm not ready to get that disappointed again. Sighing to myself, I placed my head on the wooden table, wishing that time would go faster just for today. 

***

"Yoonmi-ah?"

Groggily, I lifted my head to see Jongin towering over me. He had put his glasses back on and was staring cautiously at me. I noted how his deep brown eyes didn't look as appealing with such glasses on.

"Class is starting soon, so we better get going," he informed me quietly, probably not wanting to startle me since I just got up.

Noticing how tired I look, Jongin furrowed his brows and felt my forehead with the back of his hand. Sighing, he squeezed beside me and looked at me, as though examining me like a doctor. He was looking into my eyes and by now I was awake enough to be fully aware of his actions.

"What is it?" I ask him, a little bewildered.

"You're burning."

Confused, I felt my neck and forehead. Jongin was right. That would explain the slight giddiness I had felt in the morning.

"You should go home and get some rest." He sounded so nonchalant that I took a little offense, though I don't know why. 

"I'll be fine," I scoffed, trying my best to act like my head wasn't hurting as I got up. "It's only a few more hours anyway," I added.

Jongin sighed and rolled his eyes as he stood up with me. "Suit yourself," he said lowly as he walked off on his own towards the classrooms.