First

Mon Ciel

"Who's that?"

"Oh, that's Kim Jongin. He's a new student. The only available seat was the one next to you, so Ms Lee told him to take it." 

I cringed at the thought of having a seatmate in class. I kind of liked having the back row all to myself, even if it did feel a little lonely at times. Due to the small size of my class, our seats were the only two back row seats, meaning that if I had to talk to anyone, it would have to be him. 

Shifting my gaze towards the new student, I observed him from afar. He definitely had the 'nerd' look. His brown eyes are covered by his thick black-rimmed glasses and his light brown hair was parted down the middle. He was playing with his fingers while tapping his right foot. He wasn't standing up but he didn't have to be for me to know that he had his uniform tucked in way too high. 

"Why?" I whined. 

It really wasn't anything personal, but I really hated having to share. I liked my 'alone' time and although sitting together wouldn't necessarily mean we had to talk, it would still feel unnatural. 

My friends must have took it as though I was judging him badly, although I wasn't. Personally, I have nothing against the guy. He hadn't done anything wrong, but unfortunately my friends are a little judgemental. 

"Good luck with the nerd, Yoonmi," was all my friend said before she got to her own seat to get ready for class. 

Sighing, I dragged my feet across the room to my seat. As I sat down, I couldn't help but think about what would have happened if I had come back from my vacation just a day earlier. Maybe I would have a chance to rebuttal their decision to make this Kim Jongin sit beside me. Or I could have even hurriedly at least separated our tables. 

But I shook those tempting thoughts away. Whatever happened has happened and now I would have to live with another human being interrupting my alone time in classes. It was a good thing that I wasn't displeased with his presence; he looks like a pretty decent person. He just didn't look like the typical person who would 'fit in'. But I couldn't give a lesser about things like that. 

"Hey, I heard you're new here?" I turned towards him and ask. 

Shyly, he scratched the nape of his neck and giggled nervously. "Yeah, hi, I'm Kim Jongin, nice to meet you." He held his hand out and I shook it.

"I'm Choi Yoonmi," I introduced and tried to give him a proper smile. I'm not unfriendly, but I'm just really bad at socializing. 

Class started and Jongin quickly got his books laid out on his desk. I stopped myself from staring at his actions for too long just in case he noticed, but he didn't. He was too focused on copying whatever was on the board. Throughout the entire period, all I could hear was the sound of his pencil scratching against the surface of his notebook.

Two hours later, it was finally time for our first break. Good timing because my stomach already started growling. I was about to ask Jongin if he needed any help going around the school when I heard someone else calling him, followed by a high-pitched squeal from some of my female classmates.

I followed the girls' gaze and saw a tall male leaning by our classroom doorframe, having his arms crossed and a smirk plastered on his face. Now I guess I know the reason for the squealing: Lee Taemin. 

Hurriedly, Jongin stuffed his books in his slingbag, tossed it over his shoulder, and shuffled his way towards Taemin, who gave him a fist bump, before both of them turned to leave.

As much as I was curious as to how Jongin came to know Taemin, I decided not to make it any of my business. You see, whenever someone makes Taemin their business, it would never go well. Not because of Taemin himself, no, but because of his, what I'd like to call, 'loyal followers'.

We used to be friends, Taemin and I, because we were in the same orientation group last year when we first got enrolled in this school. That's when I made my first friend, him. I remember when I was the only one who knew how beautifully Taemin could dance. I remember back when the two of us only had each other. I sighed at the thought. Now our friendship is probably only a memory. And it's all my fault. 

He is the perfect gentleman. He always knew when I was feeling down; he can see through each one of my fake expressions. Although I had thought about it a couple of times, I was never interested in him romantically. I genuinely like him and his personality, but in a brotherly sort of way. Which is why it hurt much more when we drifted apart- because he was my best friend.

Stopping myself from thinking any deeper about the issue, I dragged myself towards my group of friends after grabbing my wallet and phone from my bag. As I reached them, I could hear Jongin's name popping up in their subject of conversation.

"How does Jongin even know Taemin?" Hyoyeon asked, creasing her brows. I rolled my eyes at their ridiculous guesses and decided to close my ears to it. I'm not the least bit interested in their gossip, even if it did involve Jongin.

As we walked down the hallway towards the canteen, their subject turned from Jongin to hot guys in the school.

"I'm sure you've heard of it too, right?" Soojung asked me out of the blue. I hadn't been tuning in so all I could give her was a blank look.

Upon seeing my reaction, Hyoyeon have me a knowing look. "Even you must've heard that the school's 'it' couple Oh Sehun and Bae Juhyun have broken up, right?" I nodded in response. Gossip about people such as those two travels fast, even to non-gossipers such as myself.

But I wasn't as surprised as Soojung, Hyoyeon or Sooyoung. Love could last forever, or it could not. To add to that, Juhyun wasn't exactly someone who seemed like a keeper. So I was less than surprised that they broke up, even if they had been going out for almost half a year. It may have just been Juhyun's personal record for longest relationship.

Right at that moment, the oh-so-popular Mr Oh Sehun himself walked down the stairs looking as nonchalant as ever, with his best friend Lee Donghae in hand. Just by looking at those two together, it felt as though the hallway was a runway and the two of them were the models. They had a certain aura that was appealing. Even if I was unlike the whole school, who are head-over-heels for them, there's no denying that they're handsome.

----------

A/N: This is my first fic so I hope I'm not doing too horrible! Anyway if you've read this, thanks for reading! :-)