Barley and Chicken

Home-made Love

Author: It is always so much easier to write on the weekends. I thank those who took a glance at my story. I hope you're enjoying it, and hopefully you'll enjoy this one aswell. I will point out that Bea is speaking korean, if she speaks English, I will have form of comment that will clue you in. 

Thanks, for reading.


The moment I saw you I knew you, not that I hadn't seen you before. But it was the lighting, or maybe the smile, somehow that day you were more beautiful than any other day. Yeah, I think I've loved you, now I know I love you.

~~Lefie

 


Date: March 15, 2015

Time: 6 pm

Weather: Warm, and sunny

 

Continuing...

Tae-young automatically jumped up and shoved the recorder in his pocket. His face flushing, from being caught snooping.

“I-I mean I got lost, and I saw-…” He trailed off lamely his hand weakly motioning towards the piano.

Bea cleared , “Hrm, were you looking for the bathroom?”

Jumping on the excuse she gave him, Tae-young nodded, “Yes! I got lost. Where is it again?”

Bea pointed towards the door, “Just go back out and it’s next to this door on your left.”

Nodding Tae-young quickly rushed out of the room. Lowering his eyes he tried to hide the blush covering his cheeks.

Bea stared at her piano, walking over it she quietly closed the top. And sighed, she really needed to remember to lock her doors.

She had been mad at first when she’d initially seen him, but- her thoughts trailed off.

Hearing her name being called, she turned around and left the room making sure she locked the door behind her this time.


“So, you managed to embarrass the cook in 0.1 seconds.”

Tae-young kicked out at T.O.P who smoothly moved out of the way by stepping left. Seungri laughed, coming from behind T.O.P. Sweaty Seungri wiped at his forehead with a towel.

They were currently in the choreo room practicing for a benefits concert.

“Ha-ha! He sure did Hyung he managed to find her bedroom, and without thinking walked right in.”

T.O.P sighed and gave Tae-young a worried glance, “You haven’t ruin my chance of going back and getting Apple-pie have you?”

Snapping. Tae-young jumped to his feet, “Dammit, I didn’t mean to, and you both should be more concerned about your choreo, than eating!”

He shoved past them and slammed out of the room.

T.O.P and Seungri both shared a look, “Did he have a bad day?” T.O.P asked.

Seugri shrugged, “He’s been like that for like a week. If I didn’t know he was shy around women, I would think he was going through a break up or something.”

T.O.P silently nodded, as he and Seungri went back to practicing.


Tae-young glared at his face in the mirror, if it wasn’t for that damn piano he’d never gone into that dumb room. Turning the water on he started to wash his hands, hearing his phone ring he cursed, quickly reaching into his back pocket.

Only for something small to fall out with it, looking down in confusion. He felt his eyes widen at the sight of the recorder sitting innocently on the floor.

Staring at it in confusion, he then groaned when the memory of shoving the chefs recorder in his pocket came back to him.

Crouching he glared at it, before snatching it up. How was he going to get this back to her without making himself out to be a creeper, or worse a thief.

Deciding to put it to the back of his mind he put it back in his pocket.

Finishing washing his hands, he headed out of the bathroom, and headed to his next scheduled event.


Bea kneeled on the floor, her hands brushing under her bed. Frowning she raised herself up, and sat on the floor. She couldn’t find her recorder, she hoped she hadn’t left it in her purse.

“Nona?”

Turning around, she faced the blushing Li. Standing she asked, “What’s up Li?”

He had thrown on his coat, and was carrying his back-pack, “I want to tell you I’m leaving, and that I hope you have a good weekend.”

Smiling, Bea walked over to him, and rising on her toes, she placed a kiss on his cheek. Before brushing an affectionate hand through his hair.

“Well, thanks you have a good weekend, and hurry up and bring the girl you like here.”

Li’s, whole face became red, and quickly he dropped his eyes, “I-I. Yes, I will, bye nonna.”

Bea confused, watched him run towards the exit. Turning back to her room, she frowned before going back to looking for her recorder.

*


“Agh. I don’t want to write those songs again Ebony!” Bea whined as she took another shot of Soju.

She’d called her friend Ebony to meet her at one of the street bars. Ebony was an English teacher, not much of a surprise there. But Ebony was also a dancer, so she spent her time teaching during the week, and doing performances on the weekend.

“Why not, it’s not like you’re going to perform.” Ebony said, taking a bite of the dukbeoki that sat steaming in front of them.

Glaring at her. Bea jerked her soondae sausage closer to her side of the table. “Hah! I could perform them…you know, someday.” She finished lamely.

“Yeah right,” Laughing, Ebony stole a cut of the sausage, “You’ve been writing songs for as long as I’ve known you, and every time I say you should “sing” you get this disgusted- wait! There it is, the—are you crazy—look,”

Immediately trying to correct her expression, Bea argued “I just think reality dictates that I work at what I’m actually good at.”

Giving her a dead-panned look, Ebony scoffed, “You’ve said that but, how likely is it that you’ll get on stage if your dad can see you.” Leaning forward she continued, the plastic table shifted, “Your dad would kill you. He was like if you don’t want to sing gospel don’t sing. So then what did you do, take on cooking. Why not? You’re families famous in it, but what about you Bea, do you like it?”

Her expression pained, Bea quickly splashed some more soju into her shot glass, “I’m twenty-five. Trust, my father isn’t the issue. I’m just, well it’s fun as a hobby. I would hate to have to be perfect in what is something I love doing for fun. Cooking was fun, but after mom and dad realized I was good at it, it became lessons, and private schools.”

Pausing, Bea shot back the liquor, gritting her teeth against the back lash. Before she relaxed from the heat filling her stomach, “I don’t want something I enjoy to be taken from me again.”

Ebony nodded, a mild form of pity on her face, “Well at least you finally moved out.”

“Hah! Me not moving out had nothing to do with them, I wanted to save money. Free food, washing and housing. Why would I leave, huh?” Bea laughed, and Ebony joined in, being independent was hard, and they both knew it.


Staring at the roof of the recording room, Tae-young tried to think of something to write. He’d stayed late hoping something would come to him but instead his mind was filled with other things. How could he manage to stay famous, or even a working singer if he couldn’t get over this bump in the road?

Sitting up in his chair, he spun it to face his lap-top, only to feel the recorder in his pocket. Curious he pulled it out and only hesitated for a moment. Before pressing play, the similar song filled the room.

The longing in the voice, touched something inside of him. He tried listened till the end, only to find himself caught up in the next song.

Do you feel it in your heart?

Do you, do you feel it?

Do you feel it? like I feel it?

Do you feel it in your soul?

Do you, do you feel it?

Do you feel it? like I feel it?

When you know when it's right

You don't let go

You don't let go

We've been through so many things

Ups and downs and in-betweens

If you need more love for me

I give you more, just let me know

 

(Tamar Braxton - Let Me Know Lyrics )

 

Before he realized it he’d gone through the entire thing. He couldn’t believe the quality of each song. Each one had been accompanied with piano, and he hadn’t wanted to stop listening. Suddenly he felt inspired. With his old zeal, he opened his laptop and started typing away.

He worked till he got a worried call from his manager, glancing at his watch he jumped up. It was four in the morning. Grabbing his bag, he shoved his laptop in it as he rushed out to catch the van to go home. Not noticing the innocent recorder sitting on the counter in the studio.

 


The next day, Tae-young walked along the hallway yawning. His eyes scoring over the script for the show he’d be going on.

Entering his changing room, he tossed his bag of dirty clothes over to the manager. Who caught it with surprising ease, grabbing the styling seat in front the mirror. He groaned, “Gou, can you get me a coffee?”

Gou nodded, quietly leaving the room. Leaning his head back, Tae-young tried to catch some zzz’s, only to have his small nap interrupted by his phone buzzing.

Lazily he pulled it out of his pocket, and seeing it was the “boss” he answered it. “Hello, “Boss”.”

His boss voice smoothly answered, “Tae-young, the music you left for me in the studio is great. The vocalist who sang it, is even better. Who is she?”

Tae-young half asleep was confused, “What music, I didn’t—“

Tae-young jumped up, rushing over to the bag seated on the couch, pulling it open he searched it for the recorder.

Returning to the phone he urgently asked, “Was the music on a recorder?!”

The boss cleared his throat, “Yes, G.D. brought it to me, said he’d saw you playing with it. Why did you wait so long to bring it to me.”

“Wait, that’s not mi-…” Tae-young tried to cut him off, but failed.

“I love the music. We’ve already started seeing what we can do with it. PSY’s excited to, he thinks the vocalist who sings the songs, should be invited to work on it. Oh, I have to go, good job.”

Tae-young stared at his phone in shock, most of the songs were English. It shouldn’t have been easy for them to do anything with them. Then he remembered C.L. groaning he let himself fall onto the couch. What was he going to do…His hyungs would kill him if the chef stopped letting them come to the restaurant because of him.

Rubbing his forehead, he knew he would have to visit the woman, or else he’d find himself being killed by more than just his hyungs.


Bea eyes were focused as she chopped onions, her hands smoothly brushing the finished product to the side.

The smell of chicken boiling filled the kitchen, the weather had been predictably rainy, so she’d put chicken noodle soup on the menu today.

Hearing Kim shouting, she stopped and placed her knife down, leaving it for one of the other workers to finish. She walked into the back, only to see the Ahjumma from Dongdaemun who made their kimchi.

She was glaring at Kim, usually she was always polite. Her dark brown hair pulled into a high ponytail.

Bea walked over to the two, noticing the three boxes against the wall. She asked, “What going on, Ms. Lee?”

Ms. Lee turned to Bea, her eyes flashing, “This brat is telling me you didn’t order three boxes, but it says right here, three!” She slapped her hand against a pile of order sheets attached to a clip board.

“I don’t care if it was some mistake, but Barley Kimchi was ordered, and I want my payment!”

 She finished by sending another glare at Kim, who crossed his arm, and refused to back down.

Walking over to the boxes, Bea pulled the lid off, and sticking a finger into the bag. Bea tasted it, and her mind moving fast thought it over, before she smiled.

Turning towards the two titan’s having standoff she said, “I’ll take this, and we can have the barley as a side dish to the chicken noodle soup. We will just improvise, and we’ll kill the bitterness by adding strawberries parfait as an included desert.”

Ms.Lee smirked triumphantly, and tossed a winning look towards Kim. Who just shook his head, “Only, you Bea. Only you.”

Smiling, Bea motioned for him to bring the boxes in. Ms. Lee and Bea finished their transactions, only for Ms. Lee to pat Bea on her bottom, “Kromyo, you’re such a good girl Bea, nomu nomo chuhiyo.”

Bea flushed politely waving the women on, ignoring Sun-Kims laughing from behind.

In the middle of this Li interrupted their bickering. “Nonna, you have a guest.”

Bea shoved the laughing Sun-Kim away, turning her attention to Li. “Who is it?”

Li frowned, “It’s Tae-young.”

She nodded, wondering mildly why YG hadn’t called over like usual.


Tae-young walked back and forth in the dining room, he was restless. He didn’t know how he was going to explain…well, anything.

“So you’ve returned.”

A smooth voice called out, Tae-young turned around only for his thoughts to stutter to a stop.

Last time, he’d been here Bea had been covered with a sweater, long jeans and an apron. He’d been barely able to acknowledge her appearance through his own fog of thoughts.

Now, as she walked into the room, her eyes were brown and sparked with fire like last time. But she wore shorts over leggings showing off her long shapely legs. Her sweater was bulky, but was slightly tighter across the chest area.

Her face was round, yes, but with her hair piled high in bun, he could see she had high cheek bones too.

She was also bare foot, he noticed now that she’d taken her shoes when she’d entered the dining room. He wondered if that was a habit of hers she’d done it before when he’d been here.

She stared at him, mild curiosity on her face.

Tae-young couldn’t explain it, but he knew that for him acknowledging the beauty of the chef he’d opened a can of worms.

Shaking himself out of his stupor he spoke, “Um, yes, I’ve come to-uh- tell you about….”

He trailed off. How was he going to tell her what he’d done? Gathering his courage, he just let it all out.

When he finished, he raised his eyes and stared at her.

Bea face remained blank, she didn’t say anything before with a startling suddenness she started laughing.

“Ha-ha, ha! I-I can’t. Who put you up to this? Was it Ebony?”

She continued laughing, until after a minute she slowed down.

Tae-young shook his head, “I don’t who this “Ebony” is but, I’m telling the truth I accidently took your recorder, and now my boss wants to use the songs on it for my come-back and wants to meet you.”

Bea smiled dropped from her face, and quickly became red.

“WHAT!?”

To be continued…


Author: Thanks for reading, review and let me know what you think, thanks.