Chapter 2 - Reconnected

U GOT(7) Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Beginning of January, KARA's dormitory, three years later

Youngji is in the middle of reading a magazine when her phone start to ring. 

She turn her attention from the magazine to look for her phone which she put beside the bedside desk. She reach out for it and staring at the screen, trying to find out who's been calling her. She push a received button when she realize it is her manager unnie the one who calling her. 

"Yoboseo (Hello)," answer Youngji right away. "Unnie."

"Ah, Youngji-ah, bweo-e (what are you doing)?" asked manager unnie from the other line. 

"Amudo-yo (I'm doing nothing), unnie," answer Youngji as she raise her hand and continue to flip the magazine she's been reading. "I'm just reading."

"Ah, keureu (Is that so)," said manager unnie softly. "Youngji-ah,"

"Nde (Yes)?" 

"There's a job offer, it'll be a good opportunity for you to get acknowledge even more," said manager unnie as she start her purpose of calling her. 

"A job offer? May I know what kind of job you talking about, unnie?" answer Youngji politely.

"It's a photoshoot, Youngji-ah" said unnie. "but, there's something you need to know before you want to take this job" continued unnie as she sound so mysterious all of sudden which makes her curious.

"Something I need to know?" asked Youngji slowly. "What is it, unnie?"

"Well, the photographer of this photohoot is someone who kind of eccentric and little bit weird." said unnie firmly.

Youngji stop her hand from flipping the magazine and furrowed her eyebrows when she realize that unnie's voice sound like a warning. "Weird how, unnie?" 

"Well, she kind of self-centered, eccentric and grumpy, but she is so good with what she do and any one, I mean, any one who works with her always turn famous and acknowledge, well, okay, maybe not always, but that's happen almost all the time though," said unnie as she start to talk about this so called photographer. "But, you don't have to worry, she favor girls more than men and I believe she will not make you uncomfortable."

"What do you mean by she is favor girls more, unnie?" asked Youngji fast as she heard those sentence in a weird content. "Is she...?" 

"Ani, babo-ya (Is not that, you idiot)," answer unnie quick. "She's not gay and she's married, okay."

"Ahh.... arrasseo-yo (okay)," answer Youngji as she nod her head as if manager unnie could see that. "Well, I don't thing it'll be a problem for me, unnie, I can just simply do the photoshoot like I always do. You know I have a strong-will, right?"

"Hmm, okay then," said unnie as she sigh from the other side of the line. "I'll let them know that you received this job,"

"Okay, unnie," nod Youngji unconciously as if unnie can see her agreement. "Ah, by the way, may I know who is the photographer, unnie? Perhaps I need to find out about her beforehand."

"Her name is Song Minami, ah, no, now her name is Kang Minami," answer unnie from the other line as she sound like trying to remember the photographer.

"I see, I'll check on her later on, unnie," said Youngji as carve the name into his memory.

"Ah, before I forget, this job will take place two days from now, so put some reminder on your phone, okay," added manager unnie as she hang up on her right before Youngji manage to answer her. 

Two days from now! said Youngji as she type some button to search a calendar on her phone and make notification as unnie's suggested. That's fast, they usually give notification a week or two before, not days, continued her but she didn't think much of it as she already give her words to accept this job anyway. All she can do now is, do her best to make the photoshoot success.

Youngji put her phone aside continue to flip the magazine that she's been reading, trying to enjoy her free time which rarely happen when her eyes capture picture of familiar faces as soon as her hand flip the next page.

Her hand stop flipping the magazine as her attention drag to the article. Youngji realize it's really him when she saw his group name written as part of the title and printed in huge font and bright color. It's seems the article is cover the story about him and his group and their huge popularity now a days. She can't help to feel amaze to his hard work and dedication upon doing what he love. He always said in the past that he really love doing it although he have to handle the pack schedule and barely have time to rest. That's why I got him those vitamins and supplements, thought Youngji as she reminiscence her last gift she gave to him on the last day of their filming. I'm wonder if he continued to take those vitamins? Well, I'm wonder about everything though, continued her as she sweep her eyes through the article.

It's been three years since the last filming and their busy schedule force them to walk different path and naturally they become apart which gnaw on their previous closeness. Although she still feel that they both are still close friend and she act as her usual self, she don't know whether he also feel the same way.

He was still as same as jokester he always been for some time after their last filming, but somehow along the way, he become distant as if their closeness was never really there. She's couldn't say it that he's avoiding her, because he's not, he still greet her now and then whenever they met coincidentally, he still make jokes and all but somehow, she can feel the difference. Maybe I'm just to sensitive, thought Youngji as she staring at his picture who smile widely with his signature smile. He still talk to me and smile at me, maybe it's only in my head, continue her as she try to remember the last time they've met.

Wait, when the last time we met? asked Youngji as she stop staring at the picture and furrowed her eyebrows, try to squeeze her memory. Is it last month? two months ago? asked Youngji to herself. His group didn't attended any of the year end ceremonies from the big three entertainment companies, so maybe it was more than two months. 

Come to think of it, he and his group has been busily promoting out of country and have bunch of overseas concerts, which reduce his presence from national television naturally. In the past, because he so loved by a lot of people, he showed almost every week on the national television, it feel like she met him on weekly basis whenever she turn on the screen, moreover they couldn't met as much as before since their finish their stint, but on these past few years, he and his group popularity become more and more huge and acknowledge by people overseas. One thing lead to another, when she realize, she barely saw him on the television because he's already fly all over the place, conquering the world.

When she said she'll miss him, she's meant it, it's okay to miss your close friend, right? asked Youngji to herself as she browse her finger through the picture as if she try to caress it. It's like how I miss oppa-deul and unnie-deul, it's natural that I miss him too, because we ex co-worker, after all, people don't have to become a couple to miss each other's presence, right? 

***

Youngji look to the huge stadium which standing proudly from the parking lot, she and manager oppa has arrived an hour earlier from schedule, it's better rather than come late and put herself into difficult situation, but since she come much earlier, she still have plenty of time to waste, the only thing that she have to decide is how she's going to spend this one hour? She can always stay at the car, protected from the cold winter outside but, seeing the white snow out there has make her inner child excited and want to play on it before the photoshoot starting.

"Oppa," said Youngji as the urge to run on top of the white snow seems more promising than sitting here in the car. "Can I go outside? I want to play with the snow."

"What? Why would you want to play with the snow? It's cold you know?" protest manager oppa as he turn around quickly to look at her. 

"Jebal (Please), oppa," pleaded Youngji as she make a cute faces to emphasize her will.

"But, what if you get hurt, or worse, get sick? You know you can't get sick," asked the manager oppa again as he still reluctant to let her go outside. 

"No, I won't, I promise," said her firmly as she give her manager oppa I'll-be-alright-so-just-let-me-play kind of look to him and remain persistent. "Please!!!" continued her as she persuade him with her eyes, hoping that he can see the kitty eyes on her.

Oppa look puzzled and hesitate, but in the end after he sigh heavily, he finally agreed, "Arrasseo (Okay)," said him as he turn around again and start take the buckle of his seat belt. "But, I'm coming with you."

"As-ssa (Yeeey)!!" cheer Youngji as she already reach out her hand to open the passenger door and step outside. Before his manager realize, she already run toward the huge field where the snow is piling high and untouch.

"Yaa! Heo Youngji!! Sil-haeng hajima!! Dachin-myeon otteokke? (Don't run!! What if you get hurt?)" shout her manager from behind her, but she already run fast and all she can hear just a random and unclear shouting, emphasize that she might have leave behind her manager oppa.

Few seconds later, she already arrived to a large field with white color which cover almost everything. Although this huge field covered by snow right now, she know that this field supposedly some huge park, which in the springtime will full of people who want to enjoy the sun's warmth and staring at the plum tree blossom.

With chuckle she start to take a step inside the field and determine how deep the snow is before she convince herself that it save. Apparently, the snow is thicker than she's expected. It so thick that even her boots is drown inside it, even so, she somehow manage to walk comfortably, so she continue to walk to the middle of the field, with intention to make an 'angel' sculpture on the snow. 

"Huaaahhh!!!" shout Youngji as she throwing herself onto the snow and move both of her hands and legs to create a huge 'angel' image on the snow. She stop when she feel that she have sink deeper before sit down and look to her masterpiece. She turn to the left and to her right and feel satisfied with the result, before she force herself to stand up and look at it from above. She's giggling and turn around to make another 'angel'. 

She manage to make one or two more 'angel' when the corner of her eyes capture something in her left side. She stop in her place and turn her face to her left, she squinted her eyes to make sure that she's not see wrongly. She's ensure that there is something out of the ordinary when she realize that among all those white color there's another color pop out from the snow, which make her eyes notice it earlier. In the middle of the field which cover by the white snow, there's a black and slight gray color come out from the snow, Youngji move her body to see more clearly and findout what is it when she saw something like a fur come out from the snow. What? Is it an animal? asked Youngji as squinted her eyes and fasten her steps, although the snow is prevent her to do so. Why it  get outside to the snow? They usually stay at their nest in the winter, don't they?

Maybe it's racoon, said her as she finally reach to the object after struggle with her steps. I should check on it, maybe I can still save it, continued her as she's getting closer to it. 

"Mng?" muttered Youngji as she confused when she realize that instead of animal or racoon, she found a body. The body itself is covered with a winter coat which although there are slight black and gray colors here and there, the coat is dominated with white color, that's why it's somehow disguised among the white from the snow. She also can't determine whether the body is male or female because of the furred hood has cover almost the entire face. 

Youngji frozen and stop just few steps from the body, confused and little bit scared. She raise her head and look around, trying to find her manager or perhaps someone who can help her but as far as she can see, there's no one else beside her and the body. She's in the middle of deciding whether she should check on the body for pulse or something when she catch a glimpse of movement from it. She hold her breath to watch more carefully before she convinced that the movement is from around the chest as if it's breathing. 

Realize that it might be still alive, Youngji force her body to move forward and check on it. She steps slowly until she arrived beside the body before she squat down. As she this close, the movement that she noticed earlier become more evident and realize this body is much alive. But why this person is sleeping here? asked Youngji in her mind. Doesn't it cold to sleep on the snow?

Knowing that the person might catch hypothermia, she brace up herself to wake the person up. "Jog-yo (Excuse me)," said her as she bend her body toward the person a little bit and waiting for the person to respond or maybe move a finger or two which can tell her that the person is awake, but the person didn't even flinch so she called him again but this time, she raise both of her hands to the person's chest with intention to shake it slightly, when she realize that this person probably a male because there's no...., you know..., beside, she can feel that the body is firm and hard although she touch it from above the coat winter. "Excuse me sir...," said her as she raise her voice a little, hoping that the person will wake up. 

There's still no reaction, as if this man is totally drown in the dreamland, which make her decide to get rid the furred hood that's been cover the face and maybe, just maybe, the brightness of the sunlight can wake him. She move her hands from the person's body and raise it to reach out the furred hood, she move the hood slowly until she can see the person's face. 

Youngji hold her breath and froze both of her hands right above his face, when she finally realize who the person is.

At first, she didn't recognize him, maybe because the red color of his hair, maybe because the peaceful on his face or maybe.... because it's been a while they both meet face to face like this, which took her a seconds or so to recognize him. 

Ja...Jackson!?!?! shout Youngji in her head.

***

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter