UNWRITTEN 4

The Lair (Book 2) UNBOUND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I grip the straps of my backpack as I stare ahead the tall main building of my new school. Bom noona's parents enrolled me here since I am already in highschool. I am somewhat delighted that noona and I are both going here now but lately noona is being secretive about her life.

 

Maybe it's because I caught her writing down a love letter one day. Since then, she has never studied together with me ever again.

 

I take a deep breath and march towards the building to my left where freshmen's rooms are located. The Dr. and professor Park said this is the best highschool in town and since I topped my class in grade school, they said they want me to get the best quality of education there is. They are very proud of me, as well as the kind sir. In fact he was the one who bought me books for this term.

 

Oh... Speaking of him... I wonder if his daughter is studying here too. He said she's about my age. And this is the best school in town.

 

I smiled at the comfort of my own wishful thinking. Maybe I'll be able to meet her here. I wonder what she looks like. I wonder if she smiles often like her father. I wonder if she's friendly so we can be friends and study together.

 

I am about to head towards the staircase when I suddenly heard a few murmurs behind me. I turn around. If these kids are talking about me then they are all done for.

 

But it turns out not.

 

A few groups of students were buzzing about a pale- looking girl whose wearing a pink sweater despite the summer heat. And she looks so weird. Her head is low as a nanny accompanies her, trailing behind her with her backpack.

 

I step aside when she and her nanny passed by.

 

I scratch my head.

 

I hope she won't be one of my classmates.

 

I don't want to see weak people getting bullied.

 

 

************

 

Dara hugged herself when she heard the door creak open followed by some footsteps going her way. She shut her eyes.

 

"I told you to just leave me alone," she said, trying to contain her anger towards the young man who has been guarding her day and night. She heard the clattering sound of utensils and the footsteps not too far from her. She immediately knew the persistent guy has just brought in food.

 

She pursed her lips. She was about to sit up to face the young man but before she could even push herself up, the bed dipped and soon she felt a strong pair of arms embracing her from behind. She felt a light kiss on her temple and she heard a voice she has always been longing to hear.

 

"I heard you were starving yourself,"

 

"J-j-iyong?" Dara rolled on the bed to see Jiyong and her eyes widened to see such a pleasant surprise before her. "You're here... God. You're really here!"

 

Jiyong nodded but his expression was so dark and grim and Dara knew immediately that the news might have reached him.

 

The mere fact that Jiyong is here, and was able to flee freely from the infirmary is a sign that the head is already fulfilling his part in their agreement.

 

, she thought. How does she convince Jiyong that she can do his job in the mean time just to prove the head of the Lair that she deserves another chance to earn his trust?

 

"Ji—"

 

"Get up. You have to eat," Jiyong pulled her up and put a pillow behind her.

 

"I'm fine. I'm not hungry—"

 

Jiyong squinted his eyes on her making her swallow hard. He averted his gaze and took the tray of food and placed it on his lap.

 

"Open your mouth," Jiyong said, more like a command, as he offered a spoonful of rice before her and Dara could just slowly open to accept it. She was about to wipe her lips but Jiyong beat her to it. 

 

"Soup. Here," Dara couldn't do anything but to accept everything that Jiyong has been feeding her. Jiyong would take some bite too every now and then and the thought of them sharing the meal and using the same utensils made her heart flutter nonstop.

 

Come to think of it. After everything that has happened, this was the first time they have shared a moment like this. And no matter how simple it might seem, she wanted to treasure it.

 

If only Jiyong wasn't in a foul mood.

 

But why does he look so mad? She asked herself but there are just too many possibilities. Maybe he already knew about the pact she sealed with the head. Or maybe it's because it was her fault, and she admitted that already to herself, that they were in the Lair right now.

 

Or perhaps, it's because Jiyong found out she visited Seunghyun first and not him.

 

But she didn't mean anything by that. God knows how that decision making process tormented her. She just felt so guilty at that moment and blamed herself for everything that happened. And the fact that Seunghyun almost lost his life made her feel worse.

 

Hayi has almost lost her father before the poor child could've ever met him.

 

"What's with the pout? Don't you like the food?" Jiyong asked but Dara just shook her head. Jiyong heaved a sigh and settled the bowl and spoon back to the table.

 

"I'll get you something else,"

 

"Kwon Jiyong, wait!" Dara blurted out and heaved a sigh as she took Jiyong's  hand in hers. "I'm sorry. For everything... For all the pain... For all the trouble... I just... I just didn't know what to do. I feel so lost. I feel so stupid... I'm sorry. These... Everything that's going on are all my fault. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry!" she said as she held his hand tighter, tears started to flow down her face. She brought his hand to her lips and planted a kiss on it, uttering apologies over and over again.

 

"For all the things I've caused you, including my father's wrath. Forgive me Jiyong... I'm sorry I didn't know."

 

Jiyong could just reach out to her to lift her face up. Oh, how it pains him to see her crying what more to know and hear it from her that she's putting all the blame on herself.

 

He was never mad at her. Maybe, it's the frustration that was eating him.

 

And maybe, the fear of what his father was about to ask in return for his freedom.

 

"Shhh... Don't cry. Don't cry anymore," he cooed her, swiping her hair away from her face. He kissed her forehead and pulled her to him. "It was not your fault. It never was,"

 

"No... I put my friends at risk. Hayi almost wasn't able to meet Seunghyun. She almost lost a father she has not even met yet. And you... Look at you now. Had I known these will be happening, I could have just forgotten about this damn necklace and stayed away!" Dara clutched the pendant as she cried her heart's contents out.

 

"Are you regretting everything now?"

 

"Jiyong..." Dara pulled away and cupped Jiyong's face. "Falling in love with you is something I will never regret. But why are these things happening? Why can't everything be normal? Why can't we be normal?"

 

"I'll take you out of here. I'll bring you back to your normal life. We'll escape. I'll find a way—"

 

"No... I don't think that's possible, Jiyong."

 

"Why?" Jiyong's brows furrowed aa Dara tried to calm him with a hug, careful not to touch his wounds. "Sandara. ! I knew it. What did my father ask you to do? What did you tell him that made him change his mind?"

 

"I'm living a life of an aid. I am going to take your place in exchange of everyone else's freedom."

 

 

***************

 

 

"Is he upstairs inside Park Sandara's room?"

 

"Yes sir."

 

Park Jin Young nodded and folded his arms to rest on each side of his wheelchair.

 

"Song Mino... You may take some rest. Tomorrow will be a long day guiding her. I want you to take her to the training ground."

 

"But sir..."

 

"I want you to show her around. And test her with some apprentices perhaps. I want to see her skills. I want to know her capacity so that Tablo can assign a good mission for her."

 

"Sir... How about the deputy head?"

 

"He can't do anything about it. If he wants her, then she should be willing to follow Jiyong's path. I need her here. Until Choi Seunghyun and Lee Chaerin know what is the government's real plan for us."

 

"What if the two betrays Park, sir?"

 

"I doubt they will. As long as we have Dr. Park and her daughter with us, I doubt it."

 

Mino bowed his head before the man he was about to bid goodbye when he heard him spoke once more.

 

"And if there's anyone who goes along your way, make sure to report it to me. I don't like meddlesome people."

 

"Sir..." Mino  lowered his head and shut his eyes. "I promise to be more careful this time. One mistake of killing a fellow member is enough. I didn't intend to kill—"

 

"...and leave him floating along Han river. That was a grave mistake. Shutting people up is enough. You have to be discreet next time, Mino. Be discreet."

 

"Sir..."

 

"Traitors are everywhere. Either you finish off them first, or they finish you off before you realize it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter