UNBOUND 1

The Lair (Book 2) UNBOUND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DARA'S POV

 

I rest my elbow on the car window as soon as Seunghyun rolled them down. I asked him to.
I don't know if it was all because of my "stay" at Area 1 or the fact that I am carrying a life inside me that always makes me hard to breathe. I always feel suffocated. Gladly, we're out today a bit early and the air was still just the right cold and nice. Seunghyun, though he argued about it earlier, gave up and I smiled triumphantly.

Anything for Miss Preggy, he said. I didn,t know my situation will be put to good use until now. I answered back and he just gave me a handsome smile. 

Seunghyun is back to the service, and by that I mean the CIU where he got his post back. Hes been there for like three weeks now and who would not love that? Everyone in the department rejoiced, most especially Daesung. Yeah, the two are back together with their bromance. I would want to think that things are a bit better now but just before I would be able to make myself think that way, realization would always hit me.

HARD.

I miss my job," I blurted out of jealousy. I mean, I dreamed of it. I was never the best, nor that I got medals and recognitions for it. I just wanted my job so badly so that dad would be proud that his once a weak little girl is a strong and independent woman now. And I got it, only to lose it quickly.

“There you are being emotional again, Seunghyun squeezed my hand. Blob would grow wrinkles this early,

“Shut up, I half laughed, half grumbled. Seunghyun could be annoying.

“You know what, doing all these gets me really confused at times." he shook his head. "Getting married and all. I wake up sometimes all hyped up for nothing. I mean this is all just in the papers until Kwon gets cleared."

I found myself pursing my lips as I winced at Seunghyun's word. I was speechless for a moment trying to digest what he was implying. He would always do this to me, perhaps unaware of it, but he confuses me. I know where he stands in my life and I hope he does as well. I made a point to make sure does because I don't want to hurt him.

"There you are again," he snapped his fingers in front of me. "I was just wondering if I'd feel the same when the time comes that I'm really going to get married. If ever there'll be a time for that."

"Dr. Park, I mean Bom... and you..." I tried to find the right question to ask but ended up what was in my head originally. "... You guys had Hayi out of wedlock?"

"Hahaha!" Seunghyun slams the steering wheel making me jerk. I gape at him. I thought he's gonna get mad or emotional. "You've been dying to know a lot about us, haven't you?"

"Well Dont you even think it took me so long to finally ask you about it? I said but he just scoffed. I understood quickly. Maybe he just doesn't wanna talk about it.

"She turned me down when I proposed to her." I turned to him when he said that, trying to find a hint of disappointment or pain on his face but he was so good in putting on a mask. "She wasn't ready for marriage. All I have ever dreamt of was to help her solve her parents' case and marry her but she left me."

" I'm sorry... I

"But now, I don't know. He cut me off and sighed. I don't hate Kwon anymore for not helping me with Bom for years. I don't hate Bom now, either. Instead, I hate myself..."

"Seunghyun..."

" I should never have doubted her one bit. I should never have planned something, anything against the group she's supporting. Life at Area 1 might be hard, but it's the government, it's us, that made them live like that."

I know. I sighed.

And my dad contributed BIG TIME to that kind of hard life all the aides, all the people of The Lair have been living.

"The sirens are on again," I decided to change the topic. I feel adrenaline rush through me. That sound always alerts me even when I'm already asleep, reminding me that I'm really back here, reminding me that Ive once been part of the police force that aims to lessen the daily sounds of sirens, the daily numbers of crimes in this city.

"It's been years and Seoul is still in the top five most delinquent cities in this Asian region. The lair was a poor attempt to lessen the crimes and now that they have realized their grave mistake they want to eliminate them. I wonder what the next president would do about this."

The next president. Right. The filing of candidacy for the National elections has started and right now, I am on my way to meet Seoul National Polices Commissioner General, my fathers friend, my god father, and the same person who wants to get rid of the Lair, Lee Soo Man. The main party has always been eyeing him for presidency believing that the country needed a leader with a military background and even though he hasn't confirmed his candidacy yet since he turned down another party,  his fame even skyrocketted even more. He topped all surveys and became the face that people were crying out for.

And for unknown reasons, he said he wanted to see me. Us.

"Don't be nervous. " Seunghyun reached out for my hand and gave it a squeeze. "That's the basic rule. You can't be nervous if you want us to come out of his office alive,"

Seunghyun was smiling and it made me do the same.

I hope I'm doing things right. 

**************

"Awesome! These spicy rice cakes are the best!" Seungri was beyond amazed to taste another serving of street foods. Mrs. Hong asked him and Hayi to go with her to the market earlier and after helping the old lady in taking care of Hayi and carrying the bags of goods they bought,  she treated Seungri to a streetfood stall. 

"Ahjumma, I think I love you already!"

"Oh, you... " Mrs. Hong chuckled. "Eat up!  Eat as much as you want. I'll just go with Hayi to the convenience store across to buy her some snacks okay?"

"Okay, ahjumma. I'll wait here for you, "

Seungri went back to his food and ordered some more. He somehow stopped eating midway when he felt something vibrate inside his pocket. He discreetly took a peep and when he realized it was Youngbae, he immediately shoved it back.

"Tsch. Who do you think you're bugging right now? I'm still enjoying my freedom! I'm not going back yet, you idiots!" he mumbled with so much determination. He was enjoying his free time so much and remembering how he made Jiyong so mad that day he left, the same day that he had spoken of his opinions about Jiyong in front of Dara, it made him even more firm that he's not going back to his hyungs just yet. He's not that stupid to go back only to face his death, he thought to himself. 

He ate some more, completely ignoring the alert of his communicator inside his pocket. He was about to order another round of food when he was suddenly pushed aside by a man, making some sauce from the cup he was holding splatter on his shirt.

"Yah!!!" he straightened up and angrily approached the guy. "What the hell?"

"How much did this fellow eat?" the guy whose face is hidden under the shadow of his cap ignored him and asked the vendor instead. He pulled some cash out of his wallet when he heard the amount. "You can keep the change," he said, slipping the wallet back to his pocket. 

"What the— YAH!!? EXCUSE ME! Who do you think you are to pay for me!" Seungri stepped forward and was about to shove the guy but before his hand could even reach halfway, the man turned to him and grabbed him by his collar making him almost throw out his stomach in fear.

"You are coming with me, RAT!"

***************

"HYOOOOOOONG!!!"

A loud cry echoed through a dark alley and only two shadows could be seen, one crouching in fear with his both arms lifted up in apology, the other pacing back and forth, blowing smoke.


"JIYONG HYOONG PLEASE FORGIVE MEEEEE!!!"

"Tsch," Jiyong threw the stub and lowered himself so that he could see Seungri's face. He gave him a hard flick on the forehead before standing up once more and shaking his head.

"That hurts!" Seungri cried out. 

"That's nothing compared to what you've done, idiot. You'll get more, don't worry,"

"Aisht hyung! I already apologized!"

"Really? Are you sincerely sorry? Do you even know what kind of problem you created? The consequences of your rash decisions and actions? You know I can throw you back to Area 1 and draw your face on your back with Jangmae's whip."


Seungri went silent as if reflecting on his mistakes. He tilted his head while pondering deeply. Did he make Jiyong and Youngbae that worried when he left? Perhaps he did. He dropped his mouth open in realization and  crawled to hug Jiyong's leg when he found an answer.

"Hyung," he looked up at Jiyong. "I'm sorry I won't make you worry over me anymore! I forgot that you might look tough on the outside,  but you're a sweet and fluffy marshmallow on the inside— OUCH! Why did you kick me???"

"The are you talking about? When did I become..." Jiyong was at loss for words he could just shake his head. "Seungri-ah," Jiyong's voice sounded tired and desperate it made Seungri kneel down once more.  "I didn't leave Dara while she was enduring all the hardships of her pregnancy just because I want to. I left her because my presence alone might lead her and our child to suffer and I will never be able to bear it if something happens to them the same way it all happened to us before!" Jiyong ran a hand down his face and clutched his unruly hair desperately. "But you ran all the way to her! I can't even go near her thinking I'd be followed. But you... You... You're one of my men and you went straight to her without having second thoughts...  You...  Arrrgh!" Jiyong cried out in frustration and kicked the ground. "Why does it have to be you?  Why can't you just simply follow me? Is it because you know I won't kill you? Fine. I can give you a beating right here. But I doubt if that's enough to stop you. I doubt if you'll listen. Why won't the you listen? Look... If something happens to them, I'm never going took forgive you!"

"I'm sorry," Seungri lowered his head as his voice cracked. "Hyung... I'm just so tired of hiding. I don't want this life, hyung. I'm so tire

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter