Journey to Recovery: Denial

Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.”

Ryeowook’s grip on his giraffe-shaped pen tightened, his vein protruding from those long fingers. The eternal magnae looked up to his hyung who was watching him and gave him a weak smile, handing out the slip of paper. Sungmin nodded his encouragement and took the paper carefully, slipping it into a circular transparent jar. Sungmin then put away the jar and propped his head back against the seat, his eyes closed for a second. When the traffic lights finally turned green, Sungmin started driving again.

Ryeowook stared out emptily at passing buildings and people walking by. His mind was occupied with everything that happened in the past two days. He still couldn’t believe it. Was he really in Jeju Island for a whole two days? And for the whole two days, it was a miracle that he had absolutely no craving for any drugs or alcohol. There were no nightmares or breaking out in cold sweat. It just…. It all went by fine.

Thanks to Sungmin, of course. Ryeowook admitted that his hyung had really put in so much effort into helping him to completely relax and have fun. Ryeowook remembered eating tons and tons of delicious food from the ones that Sungmin made to the ones that they went café-hopping. Sungmin also brought Ryeowook to a massage parlour where Ryeowook received the best damn massage in the world. And after that, they went out to karaoke and Ryeowook giggled at how both of them were singing their hearts out to all the girl group songs. They had so much fun that night that it still brought a smile to his face whenever he thought back about it.

On their second day, they went sightseeing and although Ryeowook hated anything that had to do with sports, Sungmin brought him out to do some cycling. They raced through the windy island and stopped by a restaurant and ate their stomachs out. And all throughout the two whole days, Sungmin never once demanded that Ryeowook of anything. Sungmin however, gifted Ryeowook an empty transparent jar with a giraffe-shaped pen.

“Every time you want to talk about something but you’re too scared to let it go, write it down and keep it in here. You’ll find that writing your worries and problems down and storing them away keeps the burden off you, I promise it will. I’ll keep the jar with me but I won’t look and neither will the other members.”

Weirdly enough, it did helped a little. Every time Ryeowook felt worried or troubled about something, he wrote it down and kept it in the jar. Looking at the folded slip of paper falling into the jar, an overwhelming weird sensation of peace and calm enveloped him. But now, as Sungmin and Ryeowook were back home and on the way to dance practise, Ryeowook felt a little jumpy and anxious. He wondered if this was temporary and that he would be begging for his drugs again soon.

“TELL ME WHERE THE IS HE?!”

Ryeowook jumped. They were just about to enter their practise room when they heard a familiar voice shouting. Ryeowook recognized the voice and his eyes widened. Ryeowook quicken his pace and felt Sungmin holding him back. Ryeowook struggled out of Sungmin’s grip and started running towards the room.

“Hiro? What are you doing here??”

The atmosphere in the room was a little tensed with the members red faces and Hiro in the middle. When Ryeowook heard the familiar voice, he knew instantly that it was his old friend. He was curious though of why his friend was shouting at s. Hiro spun around and his eyes brightened at the sight of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter