Chapter 2

From zero to hundred

2

 

Later that night while Mino was being drowsy on his own bed, his phone buzzed a couple of times. Mino frowned after knowing it was already 2am and there was someone sending him texts. He checked his phone and it was an unknown number, so he put his phone on the table next to his bed, didn’t even bother to look what the stranger sent him. He covered himself with his warm and comfy blanket, ready to sleep. He thought about what he would do tomorrow and it didn’t take long Mino was already asleep.


In the other hand, Taehyun was still fully awake. He stared at his phone after he sent his photos to Mino. He was wearing a white oversized t-shirt with boxers, sitting on his bed. His usually hairstyle was now middle-parted. It’s been fifteen minutes already after Taehyun sent those photos and he was expecting some replies, but nothing happened, so he gave up the waiting and lay down on his soft and warm bed, thinking about what had happened today. He got annoyed just by thinking about the older boy name Song Mino. Mino was noisy and Taehyun didn’t like it at all. Actually, Taehyun didn’t like anything, not a single thing about Song Mino.
The thought of how much he hated Mino made him couldn’t sleep till 7am. He dressed himself in his school uniform, ready to head to school. The house was quiet, everyone was still sleeping when Taehyun left the house. He walked to the bus stop with his earphones in both of his ears. He styled his bangs down covering his eyebrows as usual.

When he arrived school it was too early, no one was here yet so he decided to have breakfast at the nearby bakery. Inside the shop was warm and smelled good. Taehyun chose to sit at the nearest table he could find, ordered a cup of coffee and some pastries. It was a peaceful morning. Then someone else entered the shop, a tall and pretty girl. Taehyun could remember her, Song Mino’s sister. Danah was surprised to see Taehyun here. She wasn’t in her uniform so Taehyun assumed that she lived nearby.

“Good morning.”, she greeted Taehyun and he just nodded to her. Danah went straight to the counter and order some bread. Taehyun ate his breakfast quietly, feeling a bit uncomfortable. He didn’t know what to say to the girl so he just sat there saying nothing.
“You live around here?”, Danah asked, trying to started a conversation. She was curious about this famous Nam Taehyun. The boy shook his head, chewing his last piece of bread. “Then why are you here so early?”, she continued. Taehyun swallowed his food. “I got up early.” He took a sip of his coffee.
“Oh, so that is. I live around here, so I wondered do you live here too, because I had never seen you here before.” Danah continued her talking about all sorts of things, mostly about her brother like how dumb he was and what they were talking about him yesterday. “He was checking out on you so he probably likes you.” Danah lied, to brother of course.
Taehyun was surprised to hear that, very surprised. He thought Mino hated him. “Are you kidding me?”, he wasn’t sure about what the girl said. It sounded impossible to him.
“No, I’m not kidding.” Danah insisted with a very serious expression. “The reason why he acted like he hate you because he is shy.” She tried hard to convince the boy to believe her and also not to laugh when Taehyun had a confuse look on his face. “Be careful around him, Mino-oppa always acts stupid but he has dirty thoughts.”
This wasn’t the first time hearing something like this, a boy liking him, so Taehyun totally believed what Danah told him.

After Danah got what she had the ordered, she smiled and waved at Taehyun, “See you at school!” Then she left the shop happily. Taehyun was alone again, thinking about what the girl told him. He sound of his phone shocked him. . Song Mino just texted him back. Taehyun read the text he just received.

 

This is Nam Taehyun right?

Sorry i just texted you back.

I was asleep last night.

 

Suddenly he didn’t feel like replying at all, so he just put his phone on the table and continued his coffee.

 

WOW

You look good.

 

Mino continued to send Taehyun texts, complimenting how good the younger boy looked from the photos he had sent to Mino. Mino was brushing his teeth while checking at Taehyun’s photos, his hair was messy as he just got out of bed. This kid could be a model. He didn’t know why but he really wanted to skip school, stay at home and draw this pretty looking boy right here right now.

“I’m home.” Danah came back and looked for her brother. “Oppa, guess who I met at the bakery.” She placed the bakery shop’s bags on the dining room table for her mom then walk straight to her brother who was washing his face.

“Hmm.” The brother answer mindlessly, thinking about his plans for today. “I met Nam Taehyun!”, Mino immediately turned to his little sister, eyes widen.

“What? Where? Why is he around here?” He wet his shirt because he suddenly looked up without wiping his dripping face. Danah helped her brother wiped his face nicely. “He said he got up early.” Mino didn’t understand what his sister said. “We met at the bakery near the school. He was having his breakfast I think.” She couldn’t wait to see what would happen if they met. “You might see him if you go out now.”

“Why would I want to see him?” Mino said loudly almost like he shouted at his sister. Their mother shouted from the dining room telling Mino to lower his voice. “Sorry mom! You should get dress now Danah, or we will be late.” The older boy suddenly eager to dress himself to school. He carefully styled his hair in front of the mirror. Danah laughed at her brother’s conflict of word and action, there’s still an hour before their school started.


-----
 

Mino styled his hair backwards today, made him look mature. He was especially handsome today. Everyone was looking at him. “Wow, are you going on a date or something?” Jihoon, one of  Mino’s best friends, asked jokingly. Mino sent his friend a death glare. He also didn’t know what to say about his action so he just sat quietly, staring at his phone. Still no reply from Nam Taehyun.

 

My sister told me she met you at the bakery this morning.

It’s good right? it’s my favorite shop.

 

Taehyun stared at the messages Mino sent him after got up from his nap at the rooftop. He wasn’t sure he should reply or not. Taehyun was not gay, even though he looked feminine. This was always his problem, everyone thought he was gay, and boys kept hitting on him.

 

Why you’re not answering me?

 

Mino sent another one at lunch break. Taehyun was really uncomfortable now, so he decided to be straightforward and stop this before it got too far.

 

 

 

I’m not gay.

 

Mino choked at his food after he read what Taehyun texted him. He coughed so hard that he had to drink water and Jihoon was his back. “What happen?” Jiho asked, chewing his food.

“Nam Taehyun just answered me.” Mino stared at the message, not really sure what the younger boy meant. “Oh, so your secret date is him.” both Jiho and Jihoon laughed and high-fived. Mino didn’t even care being made fun of by his best buddies.

 

What do you mean??

 

I mean what I said.

I won’t date you.

Never.

Stop texting me.

 

The older boy was very confused. Mino showed it to his friends, needed an explanation. “Whoa, are you really going after him?” Jiho asked Mino after he read what Taehyun sent him. “No way! I’m not gay!” Mino shouted. He had no idea why the younger boy thought he was interested in him. Well, he was, but not in that way. “What should I do.” Mino muttered. “What should you do? Are you stupid or what? Tell him that he had the wrong idea.” Jiho scolded. Jihoon laughed at his dumb friend. “Or do you really like him, Mino?” “No!” Mino denied immediately.

 

Taehyun you had the wrong idea.

I don’t like you.

I mean I don’t like you that way.

I don’t hate you.

 

No more message from Taehyun. “Dude, just let him be. You already got his photos to do the assignment.”, said Jiho. Mino just nodded. He still felt bad about what happened. “Why does that kid think you like him anyway?” Jiho asked. “He probably get something like that a lot. He looked like a girl from my opinion.” Jihoon talked while eating his food. The other two just nodded. Mino tried not to pay much attention to his phone and continued his lunch.

 

Taehyun read Mino’s texts and didn’t send any replies. He stared at those words for a while then he put his phone back into his pocket, smoking a cigarette on the rooftop of his school building, alone as usual. Of course this wasn’t allowed, to be on the rooftop and to smoke, but he was sure he wouldn’t be caught. Taehyun had done this a lot. Almost everyday he skipped class and nap here. The wind was good and fresh, blowing his brown hair away from his beautiful face. He was thinking about Mino, then he realized he had to do his assignment too.

 

Jiho-hyung. This is Taehyun.

Can you send me your photos?

For the assignment.

 

“Whoa, that kid just texted me.” Jiho said checking at his phone. Mino who was quieter than usual, looked up at his friend. “He said he want my photos for the assignment.”, the blonde boy shown his phone to his friends. Mino sighed. “He didn’t reply me.” Both Jiho and Jihoon looked at their sad friend. “Dude, you can tell us if you like him.” The black-haired friend put his arm around Mino. “I told you, I don’t like him like that.”, he disputed, “I just don’t like being misunderstood, or being hated.” He dropped his head.

The two friends pat his shoulder and his back to comfort their sensitive child like friend. But suddenly Jiho shook his arm. Mino look up to see his friend pointing at something so Mino just look where Jiho pointed.

Taehyun was there, across the hall. He walked slowly with his eyes fixed on his phone. His hair was messy, making him look different. He looked up to see his pace then noticed the three boys staring at him. Taehyun stared back at them, especially Jiho who hadn’t reply his text.

“. I haven’t replied him.” Jiho pretend a smile and waved. The younger boy just nodded back and walk away. Mino stood up and ran after Taehyun. Both Jiho and Jihoon was surprise about how Mino seemed to care about Taehyun so much.

 

“Taehyun! Taehyun-ah!” Mino called and Taehyun stopped, turning around to face the older boy. There was no other student around so they were alone right now. “I don’t want to talk to you.” He tried to be as frank as he could, for Mino to stop bothering him or even to hate him. But he felt guilty after seeing his senior's hurt expression. “Umm, okay. I’m sorry. But what is this all about?” Mino said softly. His voice was lower than usual.

“Your sister told me that you like me.” Taehyun wasn’t sure again whether he was tricked by that girl or not. And he was sure it was a prank when he saw the other boy’s reaction. “You believed her??? for real??” Mino place his hand on his face then laughed. Taehyun could feel his face burning. It was so embarrassing, he couldn’t believe he fell for a prank. And Mino laughing hard made him felt worst. He wanted to disappear at that very moment and never see the Song siblings ever again.

“I’m sorry she did that to you.” Mino stopped laughing but still left a smile on his handsome face. “So are we good now?” Taehyun stood still and had no reaction apart from his red cheeks. He was all red and Mino thought the shy Taehyun  was so cute. The younger boy just nodded rather than to talk, just what Mino expected. “Good. So don’t believe what Danah tells you about me, okay?” The older boy pat his junior’s head. “And why is your hair so messy.” He run his fingers through the boy’s soft brown hair. Taehyun shifted his head away. He didn’t like being touched so casually. “Sorry.” Another apology from Mino again. It was so awkward so Taehyun decided to walk back to his classroom without saying a word to his senior.

Mino started to get used to the boy’s coldness. He was so relieved that it was just a stupid misunderstanding. His phone buzzed in his pocket, he checked and it was Danah. She texted her brother asking,

 

How is it with Taehyun?

 

Thanks to you, we are a perfect match.


 

-----


 

MIno didn't see Taehyun all week long after what had happened. But today Mino was sure they would meet here, at their club. The boy carried his sketchbook proudly, sitting where he sat last week waiting for Taehyun to come. He really want Taehyun to see his drawing. Mino had a good time drawing the younger boy. He even had more than one in his sketchbook.

But Taehyun didn't attend class, making older boy feeling disappointed. "He probably don't want to see you again." Jiho pat his friend's shoulder, comforting the sad boy. Mino sighed. His drawing was so good that the teacher asked for it and put it on the wall for everyone to see. Mino took a picture of it with his phone and send it to Taehyun.

 

You like it? I hope you like it.

Are you sick?

I hope you get well soon.

 

Mino assumed the younger boy was sick and couldn't come to school. Everyone left the room after the bell rang, heading home since it was their last period of the day. Jihoon was waiting for his friends in front of the art club room. He was a basketball club member, only MIno and JIho liked to draw.

"Hey, how was it?" Jihoon asked his friend when they came out of the classroom. Jiho shook his head. "That kid didn't come today." They were talking about how exciting Mino was earlier, and how he was all gloomy because Taehyun wasn't here. Mino sighed again when his friend mentioned 'that kid'.

 

The three of them went home together, talking about hip hop and stuff. They became friends because they shared the same taste in music. "I want to go to there tonight." Mino said with his sad face. "Dude, you are acting like you just got dump." The two friends stop asking wether Mino like Taehyun or not and just decided by themselves that Mino did liked Taehyun. The three of them usually go to clubs to perform. They are underage but since they promised they wouldn't touch any alcohol so the owner agreed. Jiho and JIhoon couldn't bear to see their friend being like this anymore so they agreed to meet at the club tonight, to heal Somg Mino's broken heart.
 

Mino went home to changed and prepared his songs. While he was choosing his hat, Taehyun replied. Mino almost screamed. He was so happy to see the younger boy's name on the screen of his phone.

 

You are really good.

 

Mino was smiling like crazy, jumping up and down in his room like a mad man. He completely forgot his depression earlier. And he had to be more shocked when he saw what Taehyun said next,

 

Can i have it?

 

Taehyun was amazed by Mino 's drawing skills. Mino didn't answer his question, instead, he asked Taehyun about his absent today.

 

Why weren't you at school today?

 

I was sick.

 

Taehyun lied, he didn't want Mino to know that he was too embarrassed to meet him. He spent all day on the rooftop and just went to the art club after everyone was gone to hand in his assignment, and he saw Mino 's drawing on the wall. It was so amazing he forgot about what had happened between them.

 

Are you ok now?

Have you rested?

 

Yes.

Can you draw me another one?

The teacher said I can't have this one.

 

Mino didn't expect this from Taehyun at all. He stood up from his desk and threw himself on his bed. His eyes fixed on his phone, on Taehyun 's words. His smile didn't leave his face.

 

Of course!

I'll show you my sketchbook tomorrow.

So you can choose which one you like, k?

 

Taehyun was on the bus on his way home. His face was expressionless like always. He wondered how many pictures did the older boy draw him. The younger boy looked up from his phone and found out he missed his stop. He stood up and jumped out of the bus just before the door closed. He had to walk back two stops and it was a long way. It was tiring just thinking about it but he had to anyway.

 

Ok.

 

Where are you?

Home?

 

Taehyun looked at Mino's messages. He wasn't the type who like to chat about regular topic, he barely chat with his friends (or didn’t have any friends). But now maybe it was a good time for this since he had to walk a long distance.

 

No. i'm on my way home.

 

Mino started to ask questions about his junior. Many answers made him feel the younger boy wasn't as bad as he thought. He was amazed to know that Taehyun liked to sing, and that reminded Mino he had a performance to prepare. But ed it, that could wait.

 

I want to hear you sing.

 

Are you sure you're not gay?

You sound like you are hitting on me.

 

Taehyun teased. He arrived home already and thanks to Mino, it wasn't that tiring. Taehyun greeted his family and went straight to his room, threw himself to his bed lazily. His phone buzzed like crazy. Taehyun chuckled, as he expect from Song Mino,

 

No!!

I already told you it was my sister's stupid prank!

Stop saying that im gay.

K?

God.

I cant believe this.

 

Ok.

 

I gotta go now.

I have to prepare myself cus i have a stage to slay.

 

A stage?

 

Yeah.

Im going to rap with my friends on stage.

At a small club though.

Cool huh?

 

Yeah.

Good luck.

 

K.

See you at school.

 

And that's how they end they little chitchat session. Taehyun seemed to change his thought about the older boy. He was quite interesting actually, and he was cool too, being on a stage and stuff. Taehyun smiled a bit. It wasn't that bad, maybe he could be friends with this boy. He was annoying but also fun, and his drawing skills was impressive too. He looked forward to see others of Mino’s drawings tomorrow.