A Walking Time Bomb

And this was Him ∞

 

*Note: long confusing chapter. http://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/768951 please check this post for the 'play-by-play' ∞ thank you for thinking this story is worth your time



 

A walking time bomb. Myungsoo.

Hoya had not known this. No, none of them would’ve imagined this. The dancer would never have put Myungsoo as one of his suspects. Not until it was too late, not until the ticking bomb had exploded had he realised Myungsoo was a bomb himself. So, it came as one serious shock to Hoya. But mostly because, it had frigging exploded in his face. So, what the ?

“Isn’t that your thing? Aren’t you supposed to be good at it?” Voice ringing out, clear and for some reason, much too pure. Myungsoo had an innocent look in his eyes, and it gave away too much. As if, he meant to put it there. To taunt, to mock. Was innocence supposed to look like this? Myungsin wondered.

“…My thing?” She blinked, barely registering his words. The boy hopped off his bed, strolled past her to the other side of the room. He fiddled with his camera, previously situated on the desk’s smooth surface. Myungsoo turned back to face the cute little girl waiting awkwardly by the door. He then chuckled, sitting against the wooden furniture, camera still in hand.

“Being objective. Unbiased, mature. Isn’t that… your thing?” Voice less clear, eyes less focused. It was as if he caught on to Myungsin. As if he knew, that she had a moment of doubt. Brushing that thought away, she convinced herself it must’ve been her imagination. The strangely tinted innocence that up made his eyes.

It’s been three months, and things had seemed to be alright. But tomorrow was Dongwoo's birthday and today was nothing short of a mess. Somehow, by the end of the day, all the emotional strains in his life became visible. Red and angry. Hoya had no idea such things existed, so he thought back to all the past months, to the subtle clues that might help him make sense of today's unexpected disaster.

What in hell had he missed?

“Well, reality… is harsh. It proves you wrong at the most inconvenient times.” She replied feeling something stuck in . Trying to smile while all she felt was disappointment and something inside hitting rock bottom.

Myungsoo glanced up, gaze unwavering. Thirty three seconds, she counted with both hands the back of her own shirt.

“I’m disappointed.” The boy muttered, clear as day but quiet just like that first evening. She wanted to look away, but she didn’t. That would be losing to herself. So she stared back and smiled. Her muscles felt stiff, and it was getting harder to breathe.

“I know.” Was Myungsin’s answer. Another thirty-three seconds, then-

“I’m innocent. I told you… I did it… because I’m innocent.” Myungsoo uttered, word by word. Slowly this time, as if to scrutinize her reaction. And Myungsin did everything she could to stop herself from walking out on him, again.

Later that day, a bewildered Hoya would find her sitting alone, adorning scratched palms and bleeding bony knuckles, with the red-stained brick wall to match.

Hoya needed to figure this out, to keep himself sane. Because they had come to congratulate Sungyeol and the other leads on their first episode airing. Not to trigger some sort of explosion, that lead to Dongwoo locking himself in a ing broom closet with an equally upset Sunggyu. Not to make Sungyeol lose the strength in his legs and ing collapse on the floor. They were here to congratulate, not to cause distress.

But now a solemn Myungsin had gone to accompany her co-star in the bathroom, and Hoya was left to hunt down the ing culprit in this emotional chaos. And strangely enough, the prick was not Sungjong. Because Sungjong was battling with his eyes; they were all wet and red and would not listen when their owner tried to tell them to stop leaking. Woohyun was not helping in this matter by muttering gently for the younger to stop holding back. But their ever so stubborn maknae tried hard rebel, even while sitting defeatedly in Woohyun's careful arms, and with the older coaxing softly into his ears.

 

.

.

.

 

Two weeks earlier…

The corner of Sungyeol’s lips twisted upwards into a crooked smile. He eyed Myungsin with half lidded eyes, carefully reaching for a strand of her long hair. They were too close, but he kept fiddling, leeringly pulling her towards him. The school corridor was dark although it was still midday. The air was chilly and yet too warm. Like a cliche scene, but perhaps a little more obscene and very much real, Sungyeol turned them around and pressed Myungsin against the shadowed wall under the main staircase.

“You…” He whispered, hand running shakily through her hair. Face inching forward, just a breath away from her plump lips. He breathed in her nervous breath. “...you,” he repeated, much lower now. Myungsin’s breath hitched as she temptingly leaned forward. Discreet, sly and slow. Back arching, small shoulders against the wall, chest pressed against Sungyeol’s body. It was his turn to lose his breath at the feel, then release; low, slightl.

Myungsin’s arms were snaking around his torso now, pulling his body against hers. One knee between his thighs, her other smooth leg coiling around his, dragging upwards.

“Tsk, don’t do that.” He breathed, dangerously alluring.

“It’s what you want, though… isn’t it, oppa.” Came Myungsin’s shaky answer. Eyes unreadable, voice soft and misleading.

Sungyeol in a long breath in between his teeth, eyes hazy as he stared into those curious ones. Her hold on him was too light, too hesitant, as if leaving room for him to escape, to decide. So the boy did the only thing that made sense. He knocked out Myungsin’s breath, her sensually arched back roughly hitting the wall as Sungyeol voluntarily pressed himself flushed against hers; feeling her every curves. Her body, he shouldn’t be thinking about that, he really shouldn’t.

It took Sungyeol one small accidental moan for Myungsin to grab him firmly and crash his lips against hers. His breath unconsciously stopped, unlike his hand instinctively grabbing one of her legs, wounding it around his waist. Her thin hand tangling into his hair, the other sliding sensually to his bicep and shoulder. Sungyeol pushed his body harder into hers, his tongue protruding her parted lips, and they mixed… so well. His hand unconsciously slid up her smooth thigh. Firmly, roughly, slyly crawled inside her skirt. He could feel her knee pushed itself harsher against his crotch. Either that, or he was the one pushing himself against it.

Their kisses turned more aggressive, more urgent, and he heard his own voice escaping the back of his throat, again and again. Bothered and heated, Sungyeol’s moans mixing perfectly with his girl’s.

And then the scene cut.

The drama was still playing but everything else was silent. Quiet. And now he was nervous, anxious. Why wasn’t anyone saying anything? Even Myungsin was so still. Sungyeol was too afraid to turn around. Say something.

“You were right, hyung. My knee shouldn’t be there… um, sorry… I should’ve listened to you.” Myungsin first uttered, disturbing the trance set upon their dorm’s living room. Sounding all professional and unaffected. If he hadn’t known any better, he would’ve thought so. But the reassuring squeeze of her warm palm in his was telling him differently, ‘Sorry Sungyeol, just try not to make it anymore awkward’ was what it meant.

“Uh... this didn’t look bad, though? Who knows, it could’ve been ha- um, difficult if you actually straddled me.” Sungyeol decided to say, against the extreme burning he felt on his nape which was rapidly rising to his cheeks. Thank gods for Dongwoo hyung dimming down the lights.

“I guess… it might’ve worked if you’d lifted me higher.” She cleared quietly. This was probably the best for everyone, him acting unaffected and technical. Just like Myungsin. He clutched harder onto the girl’s hand, ‘...sorry.’ Then he heard coughing. Choking. A slapping sound against someone’s back. More coughing. Then silence.

“What the hell did I just watch. I-” Came Woohyun’s voice from the other side of the couch. “Did I just-”

Shush. The drama’s still going on.” Sunggyu cut the younger off. ‘Thank you, hyung.’ was what Sungyeol thought. “Keep watching.” But the leader’s voice cracked, betraying him. Things almost went back to a bearable sort of silence, until the next person spoke.

“Myungsin-ah?” Sungyeol felt the small body beside him stiffened immensely at the call of her name.

“Yes, Dongwoo hyung?” Voice calm and cute against all tension. Must be nice… to always have control over your own voice…

 

Sunggyu could feel the stiff pair by the other end of the couch, latching onto each other for support like some oddballs. No one else seemed to but he’d realised how awkward it must be for them too. And honestly, he kind of admired the both of them for putting up such nonchalance… despite the air of awkwardness clinging around them like a plague. Sunggyu too, was busy trying to control his own turmoil. Aside from the fact that he’d just watched Myungsin and Sungyeol make out as an opening scene, he’d probably say the acting was… very real.

So, he guessed that must be the art of awesome acting.

They looked like they were seriously into it, and Sunggyu suddenly was second thinking their relationship. But Sungyeol had always pointed out, just as Myungsin did, that acting was acting. Work was work. However, in the past, whenever they mentioned such thing, it’d felt like they both were trying to convince themselves as much as clarifying to anyone else in general. Therefore, it’d probably be best for him to let them fight their own battles. The last thing Sunggyu wanted was to make things harder for them by intervening.

He decided not to dwell much on that, and rather save the poor kids from the others’ judging eyes. Because Dongwoo had just asked the most ridiculous thing, ever.

“Where did you learn to kiss like that?” Dongwoo’s voice was innocently curious, but Sunggyu knew better. And he didn’t want to deal with any potential brotherly scolding right now, so hopefully Myungsin would reply with something intelligent.

“Sungyeol hyung taught me.” Or not.

The perks of having Dongwoo sit next to him, was probably how he was able to hear the other’s every thought. Strange, but Dongwoo’s brain worked very noisily. To Sunggyu, at least. And right now, he could even hear the other’s breath get caught in his throat. Please, don’t choke again.

He didn’t. But Sunggyu did, becaus-

“Really? H-how did Sungyeol teach you?”

“He- does it matter…? It came out okay, didn’t it?” Myungsin replied quieter this time, just as Sunggyu’s choking subsided. Her voice seemed suddenly so small and unsure.

“It- I… Yeah, but-”

“It came out really good. Well done, Myungsin… Sungyeol hyung.” Now Sunggyu thought it’d be the correct time for everyone to choke and die. But of course, no one had ever listened to him. Everything was quiet and suspenseful now. Because, did Sungjong just congratulate Sungyeol nicely? No, had Sungjong just spoken of Sungyeol nicely? Had Sungjong just-

“It came out good. Hyung needs to teach me how to kiss like that, sometime.” The maknae said, clear and light. Playing with the hem of his shirt, not bothered enough to look up.

“Teach Sungjong?” Woohyun decided to interrupt this miraculous moment, much to Sunggyu’s dismay. “Teach me too. Myungsin should teach me.”

There you go, a smack on the head from Jang Dongwoo. Nothing new. Sunggyu rolled his eyes.

“Teach you? Are you dumb? Go kiss that Hoya or something.” Dongwoo heatedly scolded, bringing the forever wordless dancer into this ridicule, while the said subject sat unmoving.

You go kiss that Hoya.” Was Woohyun’s ‘smart’ comeback. , Sunggyu commented in his head.

“E-ew, I’d never kiss that Hoya.” The second oldest quickly replied, looking defensive. Hoya still hadn’t moved, eyes ever so fixated on the drama. But then Myungsin’s words escaped her lips, and that-Hoya started laughing obnoxiously.

“Why not? I’d rather kiss Hoya hyung than you.” Was her ever so casual Let's-Save-the-Dance-Machine comment. “Stop offending people just because you’re flustered, Dongwoo hyung.”

Hoya patted Myungsin appreciatively on the head, between his chuckles. Dongwoo still couldn’t form coherent words. And then for some reason unknown to Sunggyu, Myungsin and Sungyeol were quietly swapping seats. Now the little actress was at the furthest left, leaning against the armrest, and looking worriedly at Sungyeol. Did something happen? The boy’s expression was forever stoic but the slight knit of his brows were giving it all away. What happened? Sunggyu wondered, as his concerned stare reached Myungsin. Her eyes caught his and directed him indicatively towards the maknae pair sitting quietly on the floor, mingling in their own world.

Oh.

Sungjong was watching the drama intently, and if Sunggyu hadn’t known any better, he would’ve thought the youngest was ignoring Myungsoo. Because Myungsoo was blatantly staring at Sungjong. There was no way Lee Sungjong would not notice that. Or perhaps, was he so used to it to care? He could only guess. And as if the maknae felt him watching, he glanced back to Sunggyu’s direction. Their eyes met, and the oldest could only frown.

How could he notice this, but not… that?

 

.

.

.

 

He thinks about the others a lot. He really does. And he also knows what they think of him. But really, there’s nothing he can do. Or at least, he doesn’t quite know what he should do, or should have done. And he knows he’s twisted. Terribly twisted. He is hurting too, a lot. But also not enough. He should really be hurting more, he deserves to hurt more than this.

Well, that’s how he thinks of himself. Most of the time… So he guesses that that must be why he thinks of the others more than himself. He rarely thinks about himself at all, and when he does, it’s mostly like that.

His mind is usually full of other people. People like Sunggyu. And Sungyeol. His thoughts wander to them a lot. Almost all the time. But especially at night. When everything brings out more darkness from his insides. When things are just dark, just silhouettes, imagined sobs, and silence. Muffled, dry, restless and suppressed. And even then, he cannot shed tears. He wants to cry during those times, but he can’t. He deserves to hurt, but he doesn’t deserve to let it out. When he feels Sungyeol hyung cry, he wants to cry too. Although they don’t share the same room, he can even feel Sungyeol’s tears, kind of. Because they run down the younger’s cheeks, and those aren’t his tears, they’re his hyung’s. No one ever knows. No one realises Sungyeol cries in his sleep. Not even the owner of those tears. Only he knows, and he wants it too. So in a way, he thinks of Sunggyu a lot. By thinking of Sungyeol, he thinks of Sunggyu hyung as well.

“Sungyeol hyung…”

Sunggyu is a bottomless pit. He is never full, he never fills up. Sunggyu wordlessly takes and takes and takes the burdens, the problems, all the horrible things so that no one else ever needs to. He accepts them all but never fills up, never reaches the edge, never overflows. That’s why Sunggyu is a bottomless pit. He doesn’t explode. Never. That’s what he thinks of their leader. So maybe… in a way, he must be sort of like Sunggyu. The younger thinks.

 

.

.

.

 

“If you don’t stop doing that, I will kill you.”

Silence was soft, confusion… loud.

Utterly awed, speechless, frozen. Clear?

Subtle fiery, suppressed frustration… warmly lit.

Dimly dancing, dying… dying youth.

Knowing, knowing… knowing.

“I will really kill you.” Before it kills you, was what she meant.

 

Hoya could say that he was upset. Because it had been many, many weeks and he had honestly lost count. Because seriously, who would even count? He was quite sure there had to be many, many things he had missed during those weeks. Since everything was so unsuspecting before it hit them so hard they were knocked off their feet. Literally, for some of them.

But he could also say he was too confused to be upset. Besides, he hadn't been the one who had been shoved against the wall with harsh poisonous words being spat in his face (read Lee Sungyeol). He wasn’t the one who had to take charge of this ridiculous situation, this utter chaos. Hoya wasn’t in charge of the group’s dynamics at, possibly, its lowest (read Kim Sunggyu). And Hoya definitely had not been the one to get thrown into this mess; to deal with some effed up that had absolutely nothing to do with him (read Park Myungsin).

Therefore, Hoya did not think he even have any right to say he was ‘upset’. So maybe, he could say he was a little sad that all this had to happen. And also a little angry with himself to not have seen it coming.

Or had he?


 

An hour or two ago (he didn’t count), Hoya was contentedly strolling with one arm slung across Myungsin’s shoulders. He was pretty comfortable, and they were easily making pointless conversations like they had been doing the past few weeks. The dancer guessed that, that must be why things were so unsuspecting; he hasn’t been looking anywhere else.

Infinite was here at the indoor filming site of Sungyeol’s drama to congratulate him (and all the leads) on their first epic broadcast. The viewer’s ratings were so great that even clueless netizens began watching the reruns just to see what the fuss were all about. And honestly, Hoya had even imagined scenarios in his head, of their fans falling off their chairs or even, perhaps, breaking their television set due to Infinite’s new pride, actor Lee Sungyeol. Because truth be told, their reactions weren’t at all any less dramatic.

They promptly arrived at the filming site with cake and everything. They all had surprised the filming crew, messed with the cake, taken humourous pictures and now just lazing about. That was when it hit them.

“You know, I think your eyes are like Myungsoo’s.” Hoya remarked lightheartedly as he strolled towards the dressing room, where Myungsin suspected the others may be residing in.

“Really? Is that why I thought his eyes were familiar?” Myungsin mused, staring off ahead, ultimately dismissing Hoya’s arm like it wasn’t weighing down her shoulders.

“So you have looked into Myungsoo’s eyes? Are they absolutely beautiful? Did you instantly fall in love with him?” Hoya teased, and then laughed when she side-eyed him in a judging manner.

“I was watching Sunggyu hyung’s MV. I really like the song by the way. But wasn’t Myungsoo overdoing the famous umbrella scene? Does your fans even know he’s imitating a legendary drama scene?”

Monotonous commentary. The dancer had grown used to it. Mostly since he figured the contents of the girl’s words were far more interesting than the tone anyway.

“Hm, I doubt it. But hopefully? I mean, I saw a news article comparing the original Kim Dongwook, was it? To the MV… but other than that, I don’t know much about the response.” Hoya tried racking his brain for the sake of Myungsin, because he knew she loved good acting and pretty much worshipped the arts; like how Hoya was with good dancing and the arts. It was the unsaid passion of hers he had figured out on his own. And truthfully, he felt an immense sense of pride in knowing something to do with Myungsin that was way beyond what Dongwoo knew.

Playfully, Hoya shook his head in a disapproving manner.

“Gosh, the trend these days. All these idols acting, it’s seriously so troublesome.” Exaggerating a girly sigh, he reached to open the door to the dressing room. Myungsin looked uncharacteristically amused and began chuckling.

“Can you say that when two of your group members are acting?” She smiled, eyes glimmering. Hoya smiled back, fangs showing and all pretense lost. Hand still resting on the doorknob, he his lips and almost parted them to say something when loud shouting escaped from the other side. Myungsin’s smile immediately slipped off her face. It took Hoya a second later to realise it wasn’t happy-yelling-party-style inside the dressing room, but… a fight?

He almost released a manly squeal, as a rough bang shook the door leaving its knob to jiggle. He felt Myungsin become rigid as she shrugged his arm off her shoulders. There were more uninterpretable yelling and another cringe worthy smack against the wall on the other side. Now, Hoya was not stupid. It could only be of a body making forceful contact to the hard surface for such a sound. Not needing to be told twice when Myungsin urgently demanded.

“Hyung, open the door.”

Immediately, they were greeted with a tall figure being carelessly thrown at them. The familiar brown hair, bony shoulders and gaunt skin, all trying too little to stand straight. Hoya almost panicked as he staggered backwards, trying to right himself and the collapsing body.

“Sungyeol!” He heard little Myungsin and the faint alarm in her voice. She hurriedly helped him balance the unmoving boy, and whipped her head towards the other person across the room. “Myungsoo.”

That moment, with a silent Sungyeol in his arms, Hoya knew he had been wrong to think that those two pairs of eyes were alike. Because right now, they were nothing but the same. Exactly the same. Where Hoya had always thought they were just similar in shape; slanted and sharp, but different in their own ways.

Curious glimmers usually occupied Myungsin’s, like rain on the windowsill. They have never been Myungsoo’s kind of dark. The latter’s had almost always been penetratingly dark, with strange glimmers from reflecting lights tinting them in all the intriguing ways. Myungsoo’s had always been dark, and just… dark. With the only lights coming from the world, reflecting in his eyes in the strangest ways. Tinting them, lighting them up, and then leaving them. But Hoya had noticed, the girl’s were with dimly dancing glimmers. Like a fire losing its flames. Always moving, always changing, always trying to bring itself back to life. Subtle fiery, but coldly lit. Determined but still dying.

But now, Myungsoo’s eyes were burning. There were glints, there were lights and those weren’t just from reflections. Hard edged, and enraged. And what was that– hurt? Was it? Or was that from Myungsin’s eyes? They were too alike, Hoya was getting confused. Whose orbs was he looking into? This wasn’t how he wanted her to regain lost strengths. This wasn’t how Hoya imagined her eyes coming alive. But this was reality and it was happening. And Sungyeol’s body felt heavy in Hoya’s arms and he could barely register Sungjong frozen in one corner, looking uncharacteristically horrified, upset and… vulnerable?

Then maknae-in-a-corner was already forgotten, because Hoya had launched for Myungsoo with an angry fist in plan for that horribly handsome face, when the latter’s next words reached their ears. Hateful, poisonous and directed falsely towards Myungsin.

“Keep your boyfriend on a ing leash.”

Myungsin decided that this wouldn’t be the best time to point out that Sungyeol was not her boyfriend. There was no point talking nice to a person who was doing the mocking, who was creating harm, who already knew the truth. Therefore she opted to only glare, but words come seething out between her teeth anyway.

“What did you do?” It was a warning. But the boy was glaring back equally as hard. “What did you do?

And then Myungsin felt sick, because the said boy scoffed at her. But his words… his words cut right through Sungyeol.

“I was just keeping your boyfriend in check. Now you make sure to put him on a leash next time.” Myungsoo smirked and Myungsin felt her blood boil. How could he say that about his friend? “And maybe a collar… you know, just in case he decides to stray, again.”

 

“You can’t do this.” Dongwoo recognised Myungsin’s shaky breaths. It sounded so familiarly emotional. Something he hadn’t heard in years, and it made his stomach churn. He had just walked into… this. What was this, even? The door was ajar, and the tense atmosphere was leaking out, mixing into the air. Dongwoo didn’t know how long he had stood there, pointless conversation with Sunggyu left forgotten. Even the fact that Sunggyu was next to him was left forgotten.

“You- we are going to talk later.” As she said this, Dongwoo noticed her gently pushing Hoya, with Sungyeol in his arms, towards the door. And then Hoya was brushing past him with Sungyeol, face solemn as he looked both Sunggyu and Dongwoo in the eyes. He had heard the leader gasp, but was too busy to turn to see why. What did Myungsoo just say?

“No, Myungsin. We… are done talking.”

“Not yet.” The little girl had demanded.

“Are you trying to redeem yourself or something? Guess what, I already know. You and Dongwoo… and- you know.” Dongwoo’s breath hitched as Myungsoo’s mouth kept on moving. ‘How could he-’ “But why are you the one doing this heroic ? This redeeming yourself . You can’t save everyone, Myungsin. But I can see it. You.” He smirked. “Your pain. It’s so… clear.”

“No, it’s not. And I’m not redeeming myself.” Myungsin shook her head childishly; shoulder shaking, voice thick. “I’m… not like you, I don’t think like you, so I don’t need to redeem myself. I’m doing it because I care. And also because I have a heart. And maybe because I’m selfish. But it doesn’t really matter why.”

“It’s because you are in so much pain, isn’t it? And Dongwoo isn’t helping at all. Is he?” Myungsoo sneered; eyes hard, voice sharp. Dongwoo couldn’t move. He knew that Myungsoo knew he was there, but still he couldn’t… wouldn’t move. His legs were too rooted, he needed to hear everything. “What good does it do, a person who knows you but still can’t do crap to save you?”

“I don’t need saving.” He saw Myungsin’s stiff back and clenched fists, and he would have to believe her. Or else his world was going to collapse. It was going to crumble into pieces if these words of hers were some big fat lie. “At least I’m not the one inflicting pain. Hurting someone just to prove a point? That’s not me, Myungsoo. That’s you.”

“Why are you so ing stubborn?” The boy breathed out, and Myungsin laughed startling both Dongwoo and Myungsoo. Dongwoo could see it, how Myungsoo’s eyes widened before going back to spitting poison. “What’s so funny? Go ing deal with yourself.”

“I’m stubborn? What about you?” She indignantly said, and Dongwoo couldn’t understand it. “You said you’re innocent. But look at what you did. Are you going to tell me you are doing it because you’re innocent, again? You keep telling me that, and you think I’m the stubborn one.”

Rigid silence. Thirty-three seconds, then-

“When somebody has to die, they need to die.” Myungsoo’s voice was suddenly quiet and calm. He even gave her a small smile. But his words… “You can only keep them for so long, Park Myungsin.”

Then the next thing Dongwoo heard was a loud slap. But the image was forever carved into his eyes. All he felt was pathetic, he had stood there while the one who had rescued his Myungsin was Sungjong.

This was where Jang Dongwoo’s happy world fell apart all over again.

But life, of course, went on. There was Woohyun running towards an upset Sungjong, who had just stood in the face of Infinite’s visual. Then there was Sunggyu intervening and pulling a silent Myungsin into his embrace.

“You are sick.” He had heard Sunggyu’s voice, and the images were blurry. Sunggyu was glaring at Myungsoo, but why did it feel like those words were meant for Dongwoo? He felt somebody shoulder him roughly out of the way, and he knew it was that handsome stranger. After all, it was the visual’s voice that had chuckled right next to Dongwoo’s ear, that kept ringing long after the tall figure was gone.

“Congratulations, you're no longer the only sick one.”