Eleven

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
            "Ji!" Dongwook races back to Jiyong and the latter snaps his head back upon hearing his name being called.   "Told you I'd have her say yes. She agreed. She said yes." He's boasting, oh yes he is.    "How did you do that?"    His cousin fell silent and Jiyong's senses are tingling. An indication that it can't be good.   "Errr..." Dongwook innocently blinks at him.   "What did you do this time hyung?" Jiyong knows his cousin all too well. He's actually ready to go for the kill. The amusing curve on his hyung's lips can't be good news. It can't be.    "I might have told her a little lie." Dongwook mumbles, "But hey the important thing is we got her to help us!" The mischief too evident.   "Might????What..lie?"    "Um, ihadtotellheryouregaybecausethatwastheonlywaywecanaskhertohelpus!" Dongwook dribbles the words.    Yet Jiyong heard it...loud and clear.    "What the hyung!" He jeers.    He grabbed his cousin by the arm and dragged him to a more secluded area in the garden. After making sure nobody can witness the murder he's plotting in his head, he faced the guy with the deadliest glare he can muster.    "You better have a good explanation before i cut your throat hyung." Jaw clenching, he tries hard to restrain his self.   "Come on Ji, its the only thing I can think of to make her change her mind. Don't be such a spoilsport."    Argh.    "Why the did you ing need to say I'm a ing gay?!?! What has ing gotten into you?" He threw a litany of curses at Dongwook's face.   "Wae? Do you have any other plan, then? We're desperate and I thought that if she thinks you're gay, she won't be hesitant to help us plus she won't be uncomfortable anymore with you."   "God you're crazy! I already told you I don't want her to help me!" He shoves Dongwook away.    "Okay. Why? Why not her? Is she not pretty enough for your taste? She's the best girl you could get, don't you know that?" Dongwook suddenly felt defensive for Dara.    She's like the little sister he never had and if anyone dared to cross her or belittle her, he'll go berserk.    "That! That is exactly why it can't be her!" How can Jiyong possibly tell his cousin that Dara's just too innocent and too good to be involved in a lie like this, to be hauled in his life!?!    "Wait, so you're attracted to her? Tell me Ji." His cousin sounded gravely protective over Dara and Ji can't cross that water with his hyung.    "No." A fib he knows too well. "But you said she's never really been in a relationship so what's gonna happen if she gets involved with me?"   Dongwook must say, his cousin had insurmountable charms and regardless of Dara's indifference, she's still gullible. He has to take precautions.   "Another reason why I told her you're gay. I know you too well Ji. And as much as I wanna help you, I also need to safeguard her heart. Hanbyul will kill me if Dara ever cried. You understand that kiddo right?"    "You're an evil overlord." Jiyong defeatedly uttered.   "Yes. Yes I am." Dongwook sheepishly grins.   When it comes to Dongwook, there's no way you can fight around. His cousin is a breed of Satan.    Nevertheless she'll be helping him and he can't understand but the thought alone is already giving him mixed emotions.           

Dara wonders how to approach them now. From where she stands she can see that Jiyong looks like he hasn't moved from his seat while Dongwook was standing a few meters away, talking to some of their guests. 

  With labored steps, she heads back to their table. Her tummy won't stop fluttering and the air is just thick with tension.    "Hey." She said when she was already standing in front of him and he reluctantly looked up. His chocolate eyes flickering with some unidentifiable emotion.    For a good minute, they just stared at each other's eyes and Dara's heart went in an instant craze.    'Crap, he's gay. He's gay, don't you forget that.' She chants.   He smiled at last, "Sit down, I'm not gonna gobble you up." He sounds like his usual cheery self, except that she can sense something else in his eyes.    A tinge of sadness, but it was gone before she can thoroughly figure out.   Did something else happened while she was upstairs?   "Thanks." She mumbles.    "Hungry? I'll get us something to eat."    "Andwae, I'm gonna.." He abruptly stood up the same time she did and they were too close to each other again. She waited for him to take a step back but he didn't budge.    *crickets crickets*    He just stood there looking down at her and she peeped at him, her face a bright crimson. He was so near that she can feel his breath at the top of her head.    Realizing how awkward they must have look, she stepped back and sat again without a word.    "Sorry. I'll uh, just get us food. Stay here." He grins at her apologetically.    Her brain is working overtime, she wasn't able to say anything back.    Damn.    They haven't started with the act yet and here she is, all flustered and nervous.    What on earth did she get herself into?            Jiyong watches Dara from across the table, grinning to himself.    Just a while ago, he was too pissed with his hyung but everything vanished the moment he saw her. He hated his hyung's plan but can't help thinking it was a good idea after all. Dara seemed more tolerant to him now that she thought he's gay.    'She eats like a kid.' He can't help but adore her as he watches her pop some food into . All the while smiling. He can definitely get used to that smile.   He wonders how a very sarcastic girl can be so innocent at the same time, he chuckles.    Dara looked at him with questioning eyes. He shrugged and picked a piece of roast meat.    "Um..gd?" She hesitates, looking down at her plate, "I'm sorry... Oppa told me what you're going through and I want to apologize for my behavior towards you."    And how she always surprises him , he'll never know.  He's now grinning from ear to ear.   "No need for that. You can make it up to me tomorrow anyway." He responds. "And please just call me Ji."    She frowns. "Tomorrow?"    "Yeah, um.. We have a lunch date."    "Huh?" Confused, she stopped eating and stared at him.    "Hyung told me that you agreed to help me. So I'm thinking we can plan for it and talk about the details tomorrow." He stopped upon seeing her face turned red but finishes, "If...its alright with you."    Uh-oh. Did he make a wrong move?    He can feel her hesitation and he wants to punch his face for maybe sounding too eager. Damn.    "Okay." She finally nods.    He sighed. What a relief!    "I'll be at unnie's place tomorrow, maybe you could pick me up there." She adds.           "Sandara Park!"    They were startled and Dara jumped in her seat.    Her eyes bulging out and before she can say anything, the old man grab her elbow, tugging her away from her seat.   "Appa, I was just.."    "Follow me to the kitchen NOW, your omma needs your assistance." His voice grave with authority.    "Y-ye-yes."    Jiyong couldn't help notice how she trembles. "Mr. Park, with all due respect she's still eating, maybe you could let her finish her meal first, sir."    The man roughly turned around, "Young man, I think I'm old enough to be told what I should do with my own daughter. Go finish your meal and mind your own business." He continued walking with Dara trailing behind him.                Dongwook finds Jiyong by himself, with an unfinished plate and a solemn look.    "Hey kiddo. Aren't you supposed to be delighted? I just saw you earlier talking with Dara and she seemed to be more amiable towards you. What's with the sour face now?"    "Hyung? What's with Dara's dad?"    "Huh?Why do you ask?"    "Just curious. Just that, if she's gonna be my pretend girlfriend, maybe I should at least know a thing or two about her right?"    Dongwook grew silent for a few minutes while Jiyong just sits there, anxious.    "It's complicated. Maybe you'll get her to talk in her own time." His cousin pats his shoulder. "All I can say is she doesn't deserve him to be her dad." He adds sadly.              "Why are you talking to some random guy??" His dad yelled at her once they're out of everyone's earshot.   "Dad, he's not just.."    "Have you sunk this low? First with your career and now with men?! When will you stop humiliating me? You had the face to flirt on our own house, in front of all these guests?! If you wanted to be a e all along I shouldn't have wasted a penny on your education!" He roared at her and Dara bit her lip to fight back the tears.    "Ani. Ani."    "Don't you dare cry! If your mom and sister see you, they'd pin the blame on me again, you useless child!" He kicked a kitchen cabinet and Dara instinctively cowers.    She rapidly blinks back the tears.    "What is happening here?????" Her omma strides to her side and she sniffed, looking away.    "Nothing yeobo, Dara wasn't feeling better and we're just looking for a medicine." Her dad smiled.    "Are you okay sweetheart?" Her mom cupped her face in her palm and Dara can no longer hold the tears, they just slipped on their own.    "Ye-yeaaahhh. Just a headache mom, it...it hurts." She clings to her mom.    "The medicine cabinet is..upstairs." Her omma gave her dad a skeptical look.   "I'll check back with our guests." He gave her one last warning look then left.    "Sweety tell me, did your dad threw a fit again?"    The last thing she wants is to make her parents fight over her. She knew that even if she told her mom, she wouldn't be able to do anything. She wasn't able to do anything all these years and Dara doubts she ever will.    There isn't anything any of them can do about her dad.    "No." She sighed. "Just a terrible headache that won't go away. I'll be fine." She pulls a smile, "The guest might be looking for you now, better not keep them waiting."    "Okay but just let me know if the pain didn't subside, okay? Grab a capsule from the medicine cabinet upstairs." Her mom kisses her in the forehead.    She nods but more tears are drowning her face.   "I know your appa made you upset, I'll let this slide for now but I'll talk to him later." Her mom gives her a tight hug and sauntered away.     Dara went to the lawn, away from the prying eyes of her dad and from the constricting atmosphere. She's never been socially comfortable, one reason why she preferred to stat with Jiyong earlier. He's somewhat close to familiar. But her dad will always find a mistake  with everything she does.    She feels alone. Alone and lonely. Exhaustion fills the every crack on her skin. Society has always tell people its not right to be sad all the time, that everyone must be happy with what they have and whatnot. As though happiness is just something you can switch on and off.    She sat at the front porch, resting her head on top of her knees. She feels sore just from the effort of understanding her dad. Why does he hate her so much?    'No more crying, Dara.' She scolds herself when tears fell from her eyes and sooner than anticipated, she was sobbing.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter