Chapter 7

Unbreakable

The rain got heavier while the thunder boomed louder and so did your sobbings. You were sobbing uncontrollably crying your lungs out with hopes that the agony you contained in your heart all this while would be set free, drowned in the rain and be washed away to somewhere far you would never see it again.

 

“You hear me do you? Why did you do this? Why Jaehwan? What meaning does life have anymore without you?” you wailed as you slumped onto the marble slab and rested the side of your head on the tomb, hysterically mourning the loss that you never really moved from. You tried leading a normal healthy life without Jaehwan but every single time you were with Raehan, you cannot help but be reminded of Jaehwan. Raehan was every bit similar to Jaehwan that at some point, it hurts you because unknowingly, it made you realize that Jaehwan was not with you.

 

For a while, you felt cold and numb from the pouring rain but that numbing feeling gave a secure comfort feeling that somehow managed to soothe the wounds in your heart and fill the void in your soul. The rain began to subside and slowly became small light drops of water pelting on your sleeves. Your tears had dried up, leaving your eyes sore and swollen but you still remained resting against the tomb as you run your fingers on it, as if you were caressing Jaehwan.

 

“Mummy?” a faint voice called out to you. You stood up straight and realised that those small raindrops were not hitting on you anymore. You looked up to see an umbrella over your head and to your side, you saw Raehan kneeling beside you while staring at you with his big almond brown eyes. He was wearing his school uniform but he was not soaked. You glanced to your left and saw a tall figure looking down at the both of you. He was holding the umbrella, sheltering you and Raehan while on his other hand, he was carrying Raehan’s school bag.

 

“Mummy, why did you not wait for Raehan?”

 

“Mummy.. mummy had to.. “ you wiped away your tear-stained cheeks and stammered to find the appropriate words so as not to hurt his feelings. But instead of questioning you further, he grabbed his bag and took out a stalk of red rose that looked really dewy as though it was freshly picked minutes ago. He gently then placed the rose on the marble slab, nicely beside your bouquet of white tulips.

 

“Raehan, what are.. you doing?” you asked. You were slightly taken aback by his gesture.

 

“Uncle Wonsik said that Daddy might need them.”

 

You remained quiet, uncertain of what to say and feel about what Raehan just said so blatantly. You tried to comprehend what Raehan was trying to put across but your mind was filled with numerous questions ringing and urging for answers. You could only look at both Raehan and Wonsik with a blank expression, waiting to be coloured with an explanation.

 

“Daddy said that roses meant love and if we give someone roses, it means we love them. Raehan loves Daddy so Raehan wants to give him one,” Raehan explained with a face exuding naivety of a child that sincerely loves and misses his father that he never seen before. Even more question marks pounded in your head and made your head throbbed with confusion. You tried to open your mouth to instigate the situation but was interrupted by Wonsik squatting beside you as he held your shoulder.

 

“Jaehwan hyung told me he has never given you a rose before because you didn’t like them. But when you had Raehan, he told me he found the perfect rose which would be the symbol of his eternal love for you,” Wonsik confessed emphatically in his husky voice.

 

You felt the branches of your heart rattled and a wave of emotions just surged through your body, unconsciously making drops of salty tears to fall from your eyes and dripped down your cheeks. You were not sad but you felt lost. You realized how much Jaehwan had always been there for you and how much he meant in your life. You knew deep down that he was the only one you really loved your whole life. Till then, he was still there with you and Raehan. His love was still there.

 

You embraced Raehan because that boy belonged to you and Jaehwan and you loved him so much, just like how much you loved Jaehwan till that day. Jaehwan could never come back to live to be with you again but he would always have Raehan to be by your side. “I love you Raehan, Mummy loves you alot. Promise Mummy to be a good boy and not leave Mummy okay?” you uttered in between weepings as you caressed his head and kissed him.

 

“Raehan loves Mummy and Raehan loves Daddy for loving Mummy and Raehan,” he answered back as he looked up into your eyes. Looking back at those eyes, you saw Jaehwan staring back at you, a loving sultry smile plastered on him, smiling with those creases on his eyes. Jaehwan was there and you could feel his love. His wish to give you a rose was fulfilled and that rose will continue to bloom magnificently.

 

And you were certain that your love will always be unbreakable.