Chapter 1

Unbreakable

You slammed the door of the vehicle shut as you rested your back against the leather seat. Your eyes trailed to the driver seated diagonally across you. His facial expression questioned your destination for that day. You avoided his gaze via the rear view mirror and softly told him the address you are heading to. He nodded his head in approval and started the ignition. The taxi began to move slowly with the flow of the traffic. You hugged your bag as the chilly air in the taxi surged through your skin. You stared out at the window, catching glimpses of the passing buildings and people.

 

The sun was up high that afternoon. You could feel the heat slightly penetrating the chilled atmosphere of the taxi, burning the skin of your cheeks. The taxi passed by a bridge overlooking a park. You saw a handful of families doing interactive things like having a picnic, cycling and flying kites. Although they looked like small ants from your view, you could feel they exuded excitement and elation from their body behaviours. You somehow yearned for those moments, to experience the same feeling they feel with their loved ones.However, you chose to be alone that day. You wanted to be alone and you wanted to be with yourself.

 

The taxi halted at a red light, on a street lined with branded fashion shops that were buzzing with people. They seemed to be preoccupied in conversations on the current sales or in selecting items to purchase but on the other hand, you wanted to clear your mind from any lingering thoughts. You heard the taxi driver whistling away while waiting for the green signal and as your eyes wander blankly at the scene outside, you noticed a store selling kids’ apparels not far from the traffic light having a grand opening. Particularly, parents and kids were swarming a popcorn machine outside the store, probably a marketing strategy adopted to attract customers. A familiar warm feeling surged through you as your eyes watched the crowd and bit by bit, small patches of memories filled your mind unknowingly.

 

“One salty popcorn for you sir!” you said for the umpteenth time as you handed a cup of popcorn to one of the audiences in the stadium that day. You wiped the perspiration that covered your forehead under your cap while continuing to serve other customers. The man, probably in his early thirties, gave a smile at first but later frowned at you.

 

“ Tough day lady? Well why not join in the fun and watch the race? Take a break!” he suggested.

 

“No, I’m fine really.. Besides, racing is not really my thing..”

 

You really meant it that racing was not your thing. You could see the stadium was packed that day for some racing championship of the year. Mostly, you could see male spectators filling in the seats, their faces planted with deep interest and passion for the sport itself.  You could hear the cheers, jeers and shrills of excitement coming from testosterone-packed voices. Amidst the noise, you shuddered at the slightest thought of cars smashing into one another. As night gets nearer, the commentator’s voice boomed into the speakers, announcing the start of the final round. Sound of engines roaring followed and the crowd soon cheered enthusiastically paying full attention to the ongoing race and trying not to miss a single moment of the race.

 

Before you knew it, you saw the crowd stood up cheering and clapping, rejoicing for the victory claimed that night. “Once again, this year championship goes to Lee Jaehwan!!” You looked up the big screen and saw a guy coming out of a car to remove his helmet and then waved at the huge crowd with a satisfactory smile worn on his face.

________________________________________________________________

 

“Hyung, that was an awesome race! Really, no one could beat that!” Wonsik cheered as he patted Jaehwan. He was far more excited than the victor himself. Jaehwan smiled. He knew he could win the title. He was confident as he had put in 100% effort and focus into the race. This was what he loved to do and this was his life. Winning this championship meant a new start for a better future in racing.

 

“Let’s go drinking hyung! Your treat?”

 

“Oh well.. why not? Since I won and you were my main supporter,” Jaehwan responded as he drove out from the stadium.