Chapter 4

Unbreakable

You reached for your handphone in your bag to check the time. The taxi cruised steadily along the highway and ahead, you could see grey clouds gathered covering the afternoon rays to signal the start of a downpour. You hugged your bag to keep yourself slightly warm from the chill and from the corner of your eye, you saw the taxi driver adjusting the volume of the radio to make louder.

 

“And now to start off the show, I shall recite a marriage quote by a famous poet Robert Browning who said - Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be. And with that, let’s listen to a song by Westlife - Unbreakable….” Your ears perked when the deejay mentioned the word ‘marriage’ and memories started to spread through your heart like waves of the ocean hitting the rocks repeatedly.

 

You climbed up the stairs carefully, one hand holding onto handrails and the other supporting your hip that felt sore. You have been cleaning the house and doing the laundry as usual but lately for the past month, it  was much tiring due to the weight you were carrying in your belly. You rested your back against the bed frame while stretching your legs forward fully. You reached for a lullaby book nearby and flipped it open to a random page and started singing softly to the growing small human in you. “Twinkle twinkle little star…”

 

You felt a warm touch on your belly a while later that awoke you. You looked to your side to see Jaehwan with his arms around your shoulder patting your belly gently while he hummed a melody.

 

“Were you that tired darling? You should have just gone to bed instead of singing to little Raehan..”

 

“But I wanted to wait for you to come home,” you responded with a slight smile. He your head gently as you snuggled closer to him, laying your head on his chest.

 

“_________-ah, you know something? The past 3 years have been the happiest times of my life being with you and I know that with little Raehan later in our lives, we will be very very happy till we are old…” Jaehwan said as he patted you. You looked up to see his endearing face looking back at you.

 

“Jaehwan, you know I can’t be here without you and I want to stay like this forever with you because I love you very very much,” you answered as you put your arms around him to hug him.

 

“I love you more always and I will never leave you because we are unbreakable and will never be separated. After the championship, I will find another job so that I can take care of you and little Raehan properly..”

 

“You will still… compete for the race?

 

“I have to darling and it will be the last one. After that, I will create another future for us.”

 

You closed your eyes to rest for the night and as you fell into slumberland, you could feel Jaehwan kissed your forehead and laid his head on top of yours. At that moment, you felt reassured that you were in a secure place where you feel loved and you could share your love with the people you care and love most. No words could describe how Jaehwan changed your life by giving his love to you and you would not want anything to change that. You only want an eternal life with him.