Questions

In Another Life

The next time I saw Jinyoung was about a two days after the phone call. There was no more phone calls since that night. We exchanged texts every now and then to get to know each other better. However, the motive of him declaring me as his girlfriend remained unknown.

 
The news of Jinyoung and I being a couple  spread like wildfire in our schools and I suddenly became one of the popular girls in mine. As a girl who loved being alone, the treatment I received made me uncomfortable. The stares, the whispers and the fake smiles bothered me. The walk along the hallway to my classroom felt like I was walking on fire. I could feel eyes shooting daggers shooting right through me. 
 
"Yah yah, Hyerin-ah!" I looked up to see two girls towering over me.
 
I stopped as I held onto my bag straps tightly, looking down at my pair of shoes. This means danger.
 
"How much did you pay Jinyoung to date you?" she mocked as her right index finger pushed my shoulder.
 
I looked up and glared at her.
 
"Do I look that desperate to you?" I lashed out. "Since you've said that, you must have done that before right; paying someone to date you."
 
The shock on her face was evident. I smirked in victory as I stomped off to class. Expect the unexpected, girl.
 
After the dreadful day in school, Jinyoung decided that we should meet up at the cafe we went to two days ago. He insisted that we should have a talk about the whole situation. I agreed as I was curious about his reasons.
 
The bell at the door chimed as I slowly walked in the warm cafe. Ironically, the waiters greeted me with a cold welcome. Not that I cared, anyway. Straight ahead was a man whose head was tilted to the side as he smiled warmly in my direction. I heaved a sigh as I walked towards him.
 
"Took you long enough, Princess," Jinyoung said as I settled down in front of him.
 
"You should stop teasing me. I'm not in the mood for your cheesy self," I scolded as I glared at him.
 
"Aish, bad day in school?" I nodded with a sigh. 
 
"You want to talk about it?" he continued. I shook my head.
 
"Jinyoung, let's get straight to the point."
 
"About what?"
 
"This whole thing, Jinyoung. Why did you even do this? All I wanted was help. Why did you go this far to help me?" I began to feel agitated as I started questioning him. I left him with absolutely no pause to answer.
 
Jinyoung leaned back and scoffed. His arms were crossed against his chest. He looked outside momentarily and turned back at me. He smirked.
 
"You really want to know why?" Jinyoung asked as he looked deep into my eyes. 
 
"Yes."
 
"One name." He paused as he looked down to his cup of iced coffee. 
 
"Suzy."
 
As his lips articulated the name, the pieces of my mind fell back together. The puzzle pieces matched each other. Jinyoung was actually making use of me too.
 
"But why?" I swallowed the lump in my throat.
 
"Because," he snapped his fingers in front of my eyes. "I want to show her that I can get better girls than her. And you are the perfect candidate!"
 
Jinyoung then looked away, refusing to make eye contact with me. I, on the other hand, was still confused about the whole situation. My mind was filled with questions that I could not decipher. 
 
"Why would you do that?"
 
"That's for you to find out, Hyerin-ah."
 
Jinyoung-ah, we're just two messed up souls.
 
"Iced caramel latte for you, milady?" Jinyoung offered as he stood up as soon as I nodded.
 
Before he approached the counter, I felt a light massage on my shoulder.
 
"Don't think about it too much, okay?" he raised his eyebrows, making him look as handsome as ever.
 
I nodded as I gave him a smile.
 
My eyes suddenly saw something scribbled on the textbook in front of Jinyoung's seat as my eyes were roaming around.
 
Hyerin-ah, run while you still can.
 
When Jinyoung came back with my latte in his hand, I quickly took out my pencil box and textbook for my revision. Jinyoung looked at me questioningly but I brushed it off. I whispered a small thank you before sipping on my drink. Just when Jinyoung was about to pluck his earphones in his ears, I grabbed his hand and caressed it softly.
 
"We'll do this together," I whispered.
 
He smiled and nodded, understanding what I meant.
 
After two hours of silence between us, we decided to end our study session as the male insisted that I looked exhausted. The chill of the night made me feel frozen in my tracks. My legs were cracking with every step I took and it was very embarrassing, considering that it was loud enough for Jinyoung to hear. It got more embarrassing when Jinyoung could not hold in his laughter. 
 
"Were you bullied in school today?" Jinyoung suddenly started a conversation.
 
"No." Straight up lie.
 
"Don't lie, Hyerin," his voice was stern.
 
"How did you know?"
 
"Ever heard of something called 'friends'?"
 
I punched him in his stomach as a response to his sarcasm. I regretted soon after that as he fell down to the ground at the impact. Jinyoung moaned in pain as he held his stomach. Worried, I squatted down to his level to ask him if he was okay.
 
"Yah Hyerin! Are you even a girl?" Jinyoung shouted in agony. "How do I go for practice in this condition?"
 
"You're just weak, Jinyoung-ah," I said with my tongue sticking out mockingly.
 
"Getting informal now, aren't we?" Jinyoung put his hands on his hips as he smirked at me.
 
I looked down to hide the tint of pink on my cheeks.
 
"Let's go, let's go! You're gonna be late for practice!" I shouted as I pulled his arm and walked quickly.
 
Jinyoung-ah, stop making me feel this way.
 
 
 
a/n
Hi guuuuuuys~ Here's an update! Thanks for staying loyal to my fic! You rock! \m/