Devils?

In Another Life

The few steps away from Jaebum had got to be the heaviest steps I had ever made in my whole lifetime. No matter how much I decided to let my devils loose, my heart failed me. My mind stopped me. Maybe it was the crush that I had for him. At the same time, I thought that it was love instead.

I hid behind one of the pillars nearby and crouched down. My hands were hugging my knees as I tried so hard to prevent any sobs from being heard. In the darkness of the night, I leaned against the wall and cried at how stupid I had been to hold on to the crush. The hopes that I held was already crushed way before that had happened and yet, I still held on. How stupid can Hyerin get, seriously?

As I sat down on the floor, I thought about Jaebum's reaction towards my actions earlier. Was he surprised about how I took the meeting so seriously? Was he reflecting on his previous mistakes? Or was he already on his way home, talking to Suzy on the phone? The last thought broke me. And just like that my tears brimmed in my eyes again.

In the end, I never bought food for myself. My appetite was gone with the wind. Maybe, my broken hopes and dreams filled my tummy. I never knew.

The next few days, I went to school earlier; way earlier, to avoid Jaebum. My phone had been ringing since forever but the name flashing on the screen made my eyes water. The anxiety I felt in my tummy made me want to puke. I did not hit the red button nor I did answer it. I let my phone vibrate until the call ended. I told myself that it would be better that way rather than showing him my desperation for him to accept me.

That was until I saw Jaebum leaning against the wall just beside the gate of my high school. No matter how much I wanted to avoid walking out the gate, it was inevitable. I had to go home. I straightened my posture and walked out the gate, pretending that I had not seen him there.

"Hyerin-ah!" Jaebum's voice reverberated through the quiet atmosphere.

Oh . He saw me.

I cringed and turned back with the most plastic smile I have.

"Oh, annyeong, Jaebum," I faked a surprise look on my face and waved at him voluntarily.

"Long time no see," Jaebum shrugged, his hands in the pockets of his school pants.

"So, what's up? Where's Suzy?" I looked around for his girl; who was nowhere to be seen.

"Hyerin-ah, were you avoiding me?" He asked.

Oh my gosh, what kind of question is that? Isn't it obvious enough?

I looked around to keep myself away from making any eye contact with this man. I needed to find a way to escape this situation. I was trying my best not to show how jittery I was at that moment. That was until, I saw Jaebum's best friend, Jinyoung, nearby.

"Oh, Jaebum-ah! I have to go now. I'm sorry!"

I ran and shouted for Jinyoung excitedly. Jinyoung turned and looked at me with a confused look evident on his face. Thankfully, he stopped and waited for me.

"Who are you?" Jinyoung looked at me like I was a weirdo.

"Hyerin. I'm Hyerin," I was busily gasping for air when he rubbed my back, 'helping' me to take a breath.

"And do I know you?"

"Erm, I don't think so," I scratched the back of my head guiltily. "But please, you have to help me. Do anything and help me get away from Jaebum!"

Jinyoung wrapped his arm around my shoulder and gave me a smirk.

"I'll pretend to be your date for the night."

Wow, that was easy.

We walked away from Jaebum in that position towards the nearest fast-food store. Jinyoung begged me to explain to him the whole situation but I refused, telling him that I was not ready. However, I know that he had some idea about the whole situation. Jaebum was his best friend. It was impossible that he had not told Jinyoung anything about this. Or maybe, he didn't; considering that Jinyoung did not even know my name before.

If I were to tell him the truth, this whole situation would turned out messy. And I would not want that to happen.

 

a/n

I finally quitted my job. I had to work 6 days a week, 10h a day. That explained why I hadn't been updating this story. I really really had no time to. Oh well, but I'm back on track now. Thanks for waiting, guys! You guys rock!! \m/ I love you~ I'll update more often now.