Befriended

In Another Life

The light in the cafe illuminated the part of the neighbourhood. It was quiet; considering it was one of the weekday nights. Jinyoung and I were one of the few customers. That was my first time sitting in front of Jaebum's friend; his best friend to be more exact. Anxiety overwhelmed my whole being as I sat in front of the said man. My fingers were interlaced below the table. I dared not look into his eyes. My mind was a mess.

Jinyoung's sudden cough made me look up. Finally.

"Erm, Hyerin-ssi, shall I get you a drink?"

I hesitated for a bit but answered anyway.

"I-iced caramel macchiato."

The smile I got in return was very warm. It was too warm for words. As he turned back and approached the cashier, I groaned to myself. What exactly have I got myself into? I felt like as if I jumped out from a mess only to get caught in a bigger mess.  I stared into the darkness outside the window panel as I brought myself to think about what the future had got for me. I rubbed my face with both of my hands and sighed heavily.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Jinyoung's voice brought me back to reality, in his hands was a tray filled with two cups of drinks. He smiled as he sat back in front of me.

"One iced caramel macchiato for the pretty lady in front of me," the man poked a straw into my drink and passed it to me. I mumbled a quiet thank you as a simple gratitude.

It was silent throughout our meet-up. It was not an awkward silence though. It was perhaps the most comfortable silence I had been in. We quietly drank our drinks as I stared into the nothingness outside the cafe. On the other hand, Jinyoung was fumbling with his phone, playing games with one of his hands tucked into the pocket of his school blazer. I took a glance at him to capture his good-looking exterior into my mind. If only I had seen him first, would I have fallen for him instead?

Jinyoung suddenly flinched as he banged his fist softly on the table. My eyes quickly made its way to the view outside. I could feel his eyes moving from his phone to me. He chuckled, clearly embarrassed at his own actions.

"Game over," he said in between his laughters.

I gave him and interested smile and tried to look into his phone to find out what game he was playing. He showed me the phone screen, making it easier for me to see what he was playing.

"It's the Crossy Road. Do you play it too?" Jinyoung curiously asked.

I shook my head as I said, "But I've heard of it before."

"Let me teach you how!" Jinyoung's face brightened up as he adjusted his seat to get closer to me.

We had fun for almost 2 hours, laughing to our hearts' content as we played and talked about the most random things. Games, food, classes, etc. We talked about almost everything except for what happened earlier. Jinyoung was the best buddy that anyone could ever asked for.

It was around ten when we left the cafe to head home. Jinyoung put his blazer on my shoulder as we walked to our neighbourhood. I took it off and held it out to him back.

"Jinyoung-ssi, I'm warm enough. You'd be cold without your blazer."

Jinyoung just shrugged it off and put his blazer back around my shoulder. His height towered me, making me feel so small beside him.

"Why are we doing this?" Jinyoung suddenly broke the silence.

I remained quiet as I looked down while keeping my pace in line with his.

"I know you don't want to talk about it but eventually, I would have to know." Jinyoung said, his voice was so gentle that his words immersed themselves into my mind.

The man then asked for my phone. As if I was hypnotized by his good-looks, I handed my phone over to him. Jinyoung typed something on it and returned it back to me.

"I saved my number inside. Text me when you feel like telling me the whole story."

Jinyoung sent me home that night; right at the lift lobby of my apartment building. He gave me a hug and whispered me a good night.

"We'll continue doing this tomorrow, Hyerin-ah." His speech was so casual it was almost uncomfortable for me.

I did not even return his hug but I enjoyed being in the warmness of his embrace. If only this could be easier.

The moment I reached home, I was welcomed by the coldness of silence. Nobody was home. My sister was probably having a sleepover at her boyfriend's as she had the next day off. I let out a heavy sigh and dragged my feet to my room.

Right after I finished washing up, my phone rang. The name displayed on the screen shocked me. "Park Jinyoung". I hesitated before I answered it.

"H-hello?"

"Hyerin-ah!" Jinyoung answered so excitedly that it made me giggle to myself.

"Jinyoung-ah!" I reiterated his tone, only to have both of us laughing at each other's actions.

"Are you going to sleep now?" Jinyoung asked.

"Yeah."

"Good night, then!"

"Did you just call to say good night, Jinyoung-ssi?" I said as I slumped myself onto the bed.

"You have to get used to this. We're a couple now," he said, emphasising on that particular word,

I scoffed and we both laughed again.

"Good night to you too, Jinyoung-ssi!"

I hung up first. It was crazy how I have dragged Jinyoung into the mess that I created. He was not even part of this mess in the first place. If only I had not felt envious of Suzy, this would not have happened. I created a huge mistake from a minor event. I could not help but think that I was such a ; the biggest in my whole life history.

Jinyoung-ssi, get out of this mess while you still can. Please.

 

 

a/n

hello wonderful readers. you have been such motivating readers who encourage me to do better everytime. thanks for the subscriptions and comments.I've been busy with my university application lately. So sorry for the wait! You rock! \m/