Stronger

In Another Life

That was the last time we had a real conversation before we both became busier in the next few months. Months passed, another season gone.

Jaebum became busier with his practices while I became busier with my revisions for the college entrance examinations. Students began swarming the school library for group study, seeking help from the smarter ones. The library which was once quiet was filled with murmurings. Librarians fumed with annoyance as they hushed the little study groups. However, the groups began to disperse when the day became dark, leaving a few diligent ones behind. My study group was left with only the average ones; the smarter ones left early for their tuition or self-revisions. Being one of the average ones, I stayed behind to make sure I had studied minimally 3 chapters a day.

It was midweek when I received a message from Jaebum asking me to meet him after his lessons which was a little after 9pm. Being a naive girl, I could not help feeling attached to him when he sent me such messages. I was such a fool.

I met Jaebum in front of his agency. It was surprisingly warm for a night in Seoul. It was more surprising to see that there weren't much fans in front of the building. I moved to a secluded area to avoid being seen from the fans. Well, not because I was a famous one. Jaebum was a trainee; I could not let him into a scandal even before he debuted. I texted Jaebum where I was only to receive nothing as a reply.

Minutes turned into hours. It was slowly getting chilly at the area I was at. I brought nothing that could keep myself warm. I tried rubbing my palms against each other and blow into it, putting my hands into the inner pockets of my school blazer. I never stopped waiting. Perhaps the lesson ended late. Perhaps he was in a meeting . Perhaps... Perhaps...

After hours of stupidly waiting, I decided to leave. I decided to just go and stop hoping for him to pop out of the building. Maybe his dance lesson was extended to whenever. I was mad at myself' for foolishly thinking that a trainee's life was not that hard. In fact, it was too hard. I can never imagine myself becoming an idol. Such a lifestyle just did not suit me at all.

When I passed the building, a familiar silhouette caught my attention. In fact, it was two familiar silhouettes; a male and a female. It was Jaebum and beside him was the girl of his dreams. They were laughing at lobby, heading out of the building. The remnants of the reason behind the laughter caused Jaebum to smile at Suzy. It was a smack right in my face. It was like an arrow shot through my chest. Breathing became a challenge. My vision became blurred.

Unknowingly, a tear slid down my right cheek. Jaebum-ah, you lied.

 It was June 5th. Jaebum had forgotten about our meeting and that painful memory was etched in my memory.

I skipped school the next day. Hyemi thought that I caught a cold as my nose was as red as the chilli pepper sauce.

"Hyerin-ah!" Hyemi shouted from the kitchen. "I prepared porridge for lunch. Medicine is in the fridge! I'm going to work now!"

The sound of the lock clicking indicated that I was alone again. My mind brought me to the memories of yesterday. It was a nightmare that I did not wish to remember. It was no surprise that Jaebum did not text me the night before. His mind was preoccupied with another person. It was filled with the girl of his dream. That girl was not me. I did not bame him though. Instead, I blamed myself for expecting too much. The person to be blamed was me.

I decided to block all methods of communication for that day. I did look at my phone a few times there was no emergency calls. Hyemi knew better to call the house instead of contacting me through my own number.

The day passed slowly. The second-hand of the clock was literally crawling. I buried myself in the piles of notes, trying to study. However, the romantic comedy novels aligned just beside my notes distracted me after a few hours of pure mugging.  I doubt that the hours of revision was sufficient for the day but my mind was exhausted that I thought I could die. I picked one of the novels and buried myself under the covers.

What a grave mistake.

The number one way to cope with such an experience is to avoid reading such novels. Although addictive, most of the occurrences in the book would not even come true. At least to me. I found myself gritting my teeth most of the time until I chose to gave up reading the book. My feelings were as messed up as my bed hair. I decided to get up to get myself a drink as well as to listen to the usual answering machine.

There was one message from Hyemi, fortunately. At least, I knew what to do for dinner.

"Hyerin-ah, I'll be having my dinner with Hyungjae tonight. Wanna follow?"

I scrunched up my face. Hyungjae was Hyemi's three-year boyfriend and it would be crazy for me to join them for dinner. I definitely would not want to crush my heart even more by having dinner with such a lovely couple. To me, such couples were idealistic couples. At least, for now. I texted Hyemi to reject the offer and told her that I was feeling better to get my dinner myself.

I tied my hair into a messy bun and put on an oversized tee with a pair of tights. Leaving the lobby, I saw the most dreaded face of the evening. Worst of all, he was wearing his pearly whites while waving at my direction.

Oh .

I waved back with a sweet smile plastered on my face.

"Hyerin, I have a bunch of good news!" Jaebum exclaimed excitedly.

What good news? Is leaving me hanging a good news?

"Oh really?" I asked, pretending that I was so interested. "What is it?"

"Suzy accepted me! She said it'd be better for us to stay friends first. I have a chance, Hyerin-ah!" Jaebum was shaking my shoulders frantically.

"Wow, okay," I blurted out, my face changed to a stoic one.

It came out much more meaner than I expected it to be. Jaebum's face changed to utter disbelief. His grip on my shoulder loosened and his arms fell to his side.

"Really, Jaebum? Really?" I let out a heavy sigh. "I waited for you in front of JYP building last night because you asked me to. And what did I get? I think it's pretty self-explanatory right, Jaebum?" I bumped his shoulders and made my way to the nearest food market for dinner.

That's right, Hyerin. Let the devils loose.

 

 

A/N

Two updates in a week! What an achievement! I'm gonna start work soon, which means that there will be lesser updates in the upcoming future. However, I strive to write at least one chapter in a week or in 2 weeks. I'll try my best! I'm turning twenty tomorrow! Last chapter written as a teen. I aspire to be a better writer in the future.

A whole lot of thanks to my subscribers! YOU ROCK! I love yoooou~