Holding on

In Another Life

(picture not mine)

 

Everything is easier said than done. The love I held for Jaebum at that period of time was still fresh. While others might say that it would be easier to move on from the rejection when the feelings were still new, I strongly object with them. The feelings I held was as fresh as a newly dropped mango from a tree. It was still sweet. It was still ripe. Or in other words, the love was still overwhelming my whole being. It was so hard to move on from Jaebum's rejection. If you were to ask me what made the whole thing harder, I would say the conversation we had the night of Suzy's rejection.

There were no more messages exchanged for the next few days. Sadly.

A week after the conversation took place, I bumped into Jaebum while going back home from my after-school activities. He smiled the sweetest smile that could melt the hearts of thousands of girls. It was his usual eye smile but something about it made me swoon over it. A smile that could make me smile in awe. A question suddenly popped into my mind. Has he moved on yet?

"Hyerin-ah!" he shouted from a distance. His voice was loud enough to distract me from my thoughts, though. So, I assume it was quite loud.

"Jaebum-ah!" I shouted back, mimicking his gestures. I was trying my best not to appear nervous nor awkward in front of him. I was trying so hard.

Jaebum ran towards my direction, waving goodbye to his group of friends whom I just noticed was with him. I was blinded by perfection before my eyes. The moment he stood in front of me, I took a step back while holding the straps of my backpack. My palms were sweating that if it was a tap, it would've flown at full speed. I kept telling myself to smile and stop giving him the cold atmosphere.

"You going home?" Jaebum asked and I nodded to answer. "Want to get some ramen for a while?"

I looked at him in confusion. Shouldn't he be getting ramen with his friends instead?

"Come on, Hyerin. Tomorrow's a weekend!"

"Jaebum-ah, don't you have to go for the JYP trainee thing?"

"I got the day off. So no practice for the day."

I agreed to get ramen with him after a while but that did not clear the curiosity I had about his friends. I was saving the question for the ramen "date" we were having in a while to rid the awkwardness between us.

We walked to the nearest convenience store with utmost silence. None of us made the initiative to even start a conversation. The air between us was as chilly as the winter. It was not chilly anymore. It was in fact freezing, or perhaps frozen. It was not awkward for me but I could feel that it was awkward for him. I was busily playing with the mist that I created whenever I breathed. Such little things amazes me. That was until I realised Jaebum was actually looking at me.

Embarrassed, I turned to look at him, only to see him scoff at me. I was having an internal battle with myself. Nevertheless, the air surrounding us seemed a little bit warmer than before. The laughter that broke soon after made it even less awkward between the two of us.

Jaebum-ah, what are you doing to me?

"So, the usual ramen?" Jaebum asked after settling down inside the convenience store nearby my apartment complex. In other words, he was actually volunteering himself to buy me the cup of instant noodles.

"I'll come in with you," I simply responded.

Picking my favourite bowl of instant noodles, I decided to have my usual add-ons. I went around the store to get bowl of ramen a boiled egg and instant sausages. I proceeded on to ask the cashier for a slice of cheese.

Jaebum took out his card to pay for our noodles despite me insisting that I would pay for my own bowl of noodles. Walking back to our previous seats, I waited for my instant noodles to be cooked; overly-cooked to be more precise.

"You sure eat a lot for a small girl," Jaebum commented.

"I haven't eaten my lunch yet," I stuck my tongue out shortly after the response.

"Are you on a slimming diet or something?" he mocked.

"Excuse me, Mr Im. I am perfectly aware that my weight is within the acceptable range."

"Acceptable range? Are you sure about that?"

"Am I too fat for you?" I tilted my head only to realise I had said the wrong thing.

Trying to cover up my words, I slurped my noodles a little too loudly, forgetting about my manners. I tried my best to avoid his eyes and made sure my mouth was always filled with food. I, probably, looked like a glutton. Why would you say that, Hyerin-ah?

"Yah yah! Slow down!" Jaebum warned me. "You're going to choke on the noodles!"

The warning stopped me and I turned to Jaebum with noodles still dangling from my mouth. I gave him the most disgusting smile ever, earning the strangest look from Jaebum. My heart started to beat faster. The anxiety caused a hiccup to pop out of my mouth. Oh, . I face-palmed myself.

Today had got to be the most embarrassing day of my life and it happened in front of the person I fell in love with.

Suddenly, my phone rang. Hyemi's name was flashing on the phone screen. I quickly swallowed the remaining noodles and answered the phone call.

"Hello?" I started.

"Hyerin-ah, I won't be home until tomorrow morning. My friend took a medical leave. I'll buy breakfast for tomorrow morning," Hyemi's tone was rushed. She perhaps was taking a toilet break to make the phone call. She always does that so that I would not worry about her.

"Okay, take care, Unnie."

"Take care, Hyerin. Don't stay up too late."

The other line went silent.

I looked up at Jaebum, telling him I had to leave and that it was already late. Grabbing my instant sausages, I stuff it into my bag as I was rushing to go home. Jaebum grabbed my wrist when I started to walk out of the convenience store.

"I'll send you home," Jaebum offered.

"No no, it's okay. I can go home myself," I refused his offer.

"It's very quiet near our apartment complexes. I insist on walking you home."

Jaebum grabbed his bag and we walked out of the convenience store together. Again, the atmosphere became so cold. I was busy making myself warm as the night breeze was a little too chilly. My short skirt did not help at all. I softly whined to myself, completely forgetting about Jaebum.

The sudden warmth almost made me jump. Jaebum had put his winter jacket over my shoulders. It was big enough to almost cover my whole height. Being a girl standing at a little above 1.50m, it should not be a surprise at all; considering Jaebum's winter jacket was three-quarter his height.

I smiled as a sign of my gratitude.

"Jaebum-ah, have you gotten over S-,"

"Don't, Hyerin. Don't remind me about it."

I kept silent.

"We've arrived at your apartment complex, Ms Kim," Jaebum chuckled.

I took off his jacket and handed it back to him.

"Thank you very much, Butler Im," I mimicked his gesture and gave him a mocking smile "Where do you stay?"

"Just beside your building," he answered. "Thanks for accompanying me, Hyerin. My friends were too preoccupied with their gaming habits to even care about their stomache."

"I'd better get going now. Bye, Jaebum." I said and left to the lift lobby.

My phone suddenly beeped.

 

Thanks for waiting for me, Hyerin-ah.

Instead of letting Jaebum go, I thought maybe holding on to this feelings would be better.

 

 

 

A/N

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAEBUM!

 

Thank you to all my subscribers for subscribing despite the slow updates. I'm finally employed! But I'll make sure the chapters are uploaded at least once a week.

I LOVE YOU, MY SUBSCRIBERS! muah muah.