Fast Forward

Lady in The Court

 

 

1494

 

It’s been almost five months since he heard that song that captivated not only his mind but also his heart, yet he couldn’t find who’s the owner of that beautiful voice. He often tried to walk down the same path that he took five months ago but failed miserably. Deep inside his heart, he made promise to himself to find the one who sung wholeheartedly at his favorite place. No one should ever know that day, eventhough it sounded so absurd, Kim Jongin was fall in love at the first sight. That day, he determined to find her. The one who captured his heart only by her melodious voice.

“If only i could choose my own life companion, i would choose her without a doubt.”

 


 

After a celebratory dance performace ended, a royal palanquin was making its way to the altar. All the higher-ups officials were standing on the side and giving their respects when the palanquin passed them. Everyone seemed so happy to welcome the designated wangsaejabin, it’s a historic day for the Kingdom afterall. Kim Jongin, the wangsaeja finally will have a companion on the throne.

Standing upright on the altar, Kim Jongin was having his internal battle. “Is everything going to be okay? Will i be able to at least care about her? What if we couldn’t make it through?” But then, he realized that as a Royal Prince Successor, it’s his duty to make the kingdom stable by taking a companion that considered appropriate by all of components of the kingdom – particularly the ruling party. Jung Soojung, the daughter of Minister of Northern Party was choosen without rejection from both Northern and Southern Parties. He took a deep breath to control his sudden emotion and prepare himself to continue the wedding rituals.

Accompanied by her lady-in-waiting, Jung Soojung in her long, wide-sleeved blue and red wedding gown walked down from the palanquin and made her way on foot to reach the altar in front of her. She then offered her respect towards his future husband by making a deep bow and smiled. Kim Jongin acknowledged her and also made a bow.

Their meeting marked the last step of the wedding rituals.

They’re now officially a Royal Succesors.

 


 

1498

 

Four years ago, she’s merely a nain at the Palace Kitchen, but Do Kyungsoo along with her bestfriend, Baekhyun, were given the title Jeonseon, the Leading Palace Lady and being in charge of specific activity in the Royal Kitchen because of their patience and skills. The only superior they had was Bae Sanggung who led the Royal Kitchen entirely. Their struggle to pass the exam four years ago paved the way for them to achieve a higher level. She remembered those times when she entered this Palace with her intention to elevate their status and also to help her brother. She missed her brother badly. If only she could save him faster. But then, living in this Palace, away from her family was hard and made her heart yearn for something.

She need something to soothe her broken heart.

Perhaps, love?

A foreign feeling she had never felt before.

And she wished that she could feel it, sooner or later.

“Ya, Kyungsoo-yaa. What’s with that face?” Baekhyun broke her train of thoughts.

“Baekhyun-ah, do you think i can fill my empty heart?” she asked her bestfriend just in hope she knows the answer.

“Like, you want to get married or something?”

“I... yeah?”

“Kyungsoo-ya, remember that all sanggung and nain are belongs to the King, unless we’re being favorited by the King, i’m afraid we’ll have to be single for the rest of our lives.” Baekhyun couldn’t give her an answer that she wanted to hear. In fact, all Baekhyun said were true.

“You’re right, Baekhyun. I shouldn’t have had this stupid thought. Well, so, is there anything that i can do?”

“Ah, well, Naemyeongbu asked us specifically to arrange a small feast tomorrow, so, can we get it started? I need your super skill on garnishing those food, Kyungsoo yaaa.” Baekhyun pouted cutely just like a puppy. And Kyungsoo was never had a heart to reject her friend, especially if Baekhyun started to act like a cute pup.

“All right, we really need to start now. Did you ask Bae Sanggung’s permission?”

“I did, so let’s go!”

 

It’s true though. The Palace life was centered on the King, so many court women were necessary to attend the King’s demand.

Means, their life revolves around the reigned King, Kim Jongin.

 

 
   

 

On the different side of the Palace, Kim Jongin stood gracefully on his throne. It’s been three years since he inherited the throne from his father. Three years after he lost his father after he lost the battle against his cancer. Three years after the Queen became the Queen Dowager. But fortunately, there’s no such a bad things that happened to the Kingdom during his reign since now. It’s just their people, mostly the Ministers, were pushed him to do something.

The Kingdom needs a certainty and security.

They need only one thing.

A successor.

Which happened to be the hardest thing to do. Ofcourse he always tried to fulfill his people’s wishes.

But what could he do if his Queen Consort cannot give what everyone wants?

The Queen, sadly, was sterile.

Based on this fact, he gathered all his ministers and everyone that related to this issue inside the Palace and held a closed meeting to resolve the problem.

“Your majesty, i apologize in advance, but the Nation is in need of a Royal Successor. Is there any possibility to cure the Queen?” one of the minister expressed his opinion. 
His other Minister, who also present uttered his opinion, Jeonha, have you ever considered to take a Royal Concubine? I know that it may be appropriate to suggest this, but i think it’s the best way to solve our problem.”
Jongin knew that the only thing that could help him was exactly the same as his minister had stated.
But who?
If only he knew who is the owner of that beautiful voice.
The one who captured his heart years ago.
That soulful singer.

 



 
After much discussion, King Jongin then dismissed the meeting and he decided to go out for walk to refresh his mind. Ofcourse it’s Chanyeol who accompanied him.
“Hyung, is it a right thing to take a Royal Concubine? I mean, i maybe don’t love Soojung but i care about her.” He asked his loyal guard, somewhat hesistant in making decision. Chanyeol saw this and he decided to share his opinion.
“Jongin-ah, i don’t want to interfere your life but as your hyung, i’d share my own perspective. God knows you are a good King and you always care about others, so I think this might be your chance to achieve your happiness. Also about Soojung, as a Queen, she must put the Nation over her own feelings. This Nation needs a successor, Jongin ah. If the only way to achieve it is to take a concubine, then do it.”
Jongin understood what Chayeol mean but he didn’t want to raise his hope. 
“What do you mean, hyung?” 
Chanyeol then answered his King’s question earnestly, “I think it’s the right time to search for her, Jongin.” 
“Then, can you help me, hyung?” Jongin asked his trustworthy guard.

 
The title of the King and his subordinates had long forgotten. There’s only a young man who asked his brother for help. 
And Park Chanyeol was more than willing to help his brother. 

 



 
 
   

FUN FACT(S) :

  1. Wangsaejabin - the consort of the heir apparent, or simply Princess Successor Consort
  2. Wangsaeja - the invested heir apparent to the throne, with the simplified title Prince Successor
  3. Nain - female personal assistant at a court
  4. Jeonseon - Seventh rank upper - Leading Palace Lady (being charge of a specific activity): Chon-bin (전빈), Chon-ui (전의) and Chon-son (전선)
  5. Sanggung - Fitfth rank upper - Chief Palace Lady (e.g. leading the royal kitchen): Sang-chim (상침) and Sang-gong (상공) or Court Ladies who served directly under the royal family members, and the head manager of their assigned department. Depending on their role and department, there would be internal ranking within the sanggung. A sanggung could also become a "Royal Concubine" if the King showed favor. They would be called "favored sanggung" and would be considered the highest rank of the 5a. However, since they are still in the rank of 5, the "favored sanggung" would not be considered a member of the royal family
  6. Naemyeongbu – The governing faculty of the women that resides in the palace.
  7. Queen Dowager - the consort of the deceased King (perhaps the mother of the current king).
  8. Queen Consort - the queen consort, with the style of Her Royal Highness
  9. Jeonha – the style of the King
  10. Royal Concubine - ranked beneath the queen, but above low-ranked concubines and court ladies (rank 5a and below). This meant that Royal Concubines from rank 1 to 4 were considered part of the Royal Family.


 
AUTHOR’S NOTE :
Hi! Truth to be told, i kinda forget the initial plot for this story, soooooo yeah, we’ll see. 
Again, English is not my first language. Any mistakes occured (like omg i totally hate grammar and misleading history) are totally unintentional hehehe. 
Critics and comments are appreciated :)