The Beginning

Lady in The Court

“Are you sure with your decision to take that exam, Kyungsoo-ah?” Mrs. Do asked and stared at her sadly, “Are you going to leave me, my daughter?”

“Yes, eomma, I’m sorry I have to leave you. I will try to pass the exam and enter the Palace. But you will support me, won’t you?”

Do Kyungsoo had set her heart to become the palace servant in order to ease the burden of her family. She will not let her mother change her decision.

Mrs. Do took a breath and said, “I just want you to live happily and living inside the Palace is not as easy as it looks like. There are a lot of things that might give you a hard time. Can you endure it all?”

“I will try my best, eomma. I just want Seungsoo oppa back to our family quickly and this maybe the only way to make it happen sooner.” Do Kyungsoo replied firmly.

Mr.Do paid attention to the woman he loves from afar. His heart ached remembering Seungsoo his son who was forced into slavery to save his family and now his only daughter is willing to be a palace servant just to free Seungsoo faster. He felt like a failure to his children. Lost in regret, Mr.Do wasn't aware of the presence of his wife and his daughter by his side.

Appa,” called Kyungsoo, “Are you daydreaming?”

“No, Kyungsoo-ah. Appa wasn’t daydreaming, I'm sorry that I couldn’t make you and your brother happy. You two are forced to bear a burden that should be mine. It’s my mistake that I can’t afford to pay my debts.” Mr.Do said in response to questions that his beautiful daughter asked.

Appa, please don’t say it that way. For me, you’re the best father in the entire world. I can’t imagine if my father isn’t you.” Said Kyungsoo while hugging his father.

No words were spoken from the mouth of Mr. Do. The middle-aged man could only hug her daughter back and he was very grateful to have been given such a very understanding children. Mrs.Do then too came to hug her daughter and her husband.

“I have to leave early in the morning tomorrow in order to arrive on time. I promise I will write a letter every week. I’m going to miss you both so badly. I will take care of myself, don’t worry.” Said Kyungsoo hoping that it would ease her parents’ fears.

“Sure, come on I will help you prepare your things.” Said Mrs.Do to Kyungsoo.

 


 

Do Kyungsoo walked steadily toward the location where the examination will be held. On her shoulders hung a bundle that containprovisions prepared by her mother last night. Only a few pieces of clothes and enough amount of food to eat on the go. On the way, Kyungsoo continued to pray to the creator of heaven so that she will be given the ease in doing the examination later.

"Ah, sorry,excuse me. Are you going to the Palace Hall? I was from out of town and I lost my directions."asked a girl dressed in simple hanbok and she was carrying a bundle as well.

Although surprised by the appearance of this staggering figure of a girl, Kyungsoo didn’t have a heart to ignore her. She then replied, “Yes, right. I was on my way to The Palace Hall. You are going to be there as well?”

“Oh, thank goodness. Please let me introduce myself. My name is Byun Baekhyun but you can call me Baekhyun and yes, i would like to attend the palace servant examination.” The girl replied while smiling sweetly.

“I see, my name is Kyungsoo. Well then, let’s walk together. I’m also going to take that exam.” Kyungsoo said and smiled back at Baekhyun.

On the way to the Palace Hall, both of them exchanged stories while familiarizing themselves with eachother. Baekhyun told her that she wants to become a palace servant because her father is sick and he couldn’t work any longer so Baekhyun decided to replace his father to make a living for her family. Baekhyun also told Kyungsoo that she is the only daughter in the family. She had had an older brother named Byung Baekbeom but unfortunately, he was no longer around in this world because of a serious illness attacked him during his childhood. After hearing a story that’s similar to her condition, Kyungsoo felt that she should tell Baekhyun more about herself. She then told Baekhyun how her brother was forced to be a slave to extend the maturity of her family's debt and how she wanted to immediately release her brother from the slavery.

Do Kyungsoo and Byun Baekhyun became close during the trip and it was possible maybe because of their similiarities. They joked, talked, even hummed some kind of a folk song all the way to the Palace Hall and they hadn’t realize that they’re already close to their destination. The Palace Hall is right behind these walls.

“Kyungsoo-ah, finally we’ve arrived. Are you ready?” Baekhyun asked her while smoothing her slightly rumpled clothes.

“I’m ready. Let’s do it.”

Two young girls were walking past the gate ready to face whatever is going to happen.

 


 

Three years have passed since the palace servants' entrance exams took place. Not much has changed from the Palace, still as majestic as ever maybe even more.

A palace servant could be seen busy preparing food for the King and his family. She has a pale skin, a braided smooth black hair and a plump lips. Even from afar, everyone but herself will acknowledge her beauty. Do Kyungsoo was never aware of her appeal.

“Ya! Do Kyungsoo!” Shouted another palace servant which broke her concentration.

“Byun Baekhyun, do you really need to shout? Spill it.” Asked Kyungsoo while continuing her activities which was sidetracked.

“You really have to know this, Kyungsoo-ya! This is a shocking news!” Baekhyun replied with an excited expression. Three years of knowing and working with Baekhyun made Kyungsoo already familiar with her tendency to overreact.

“Yes, yes, what is it, Baekhyun-ah? Can’t you see that i’m busy preparing this dish for His Majesty? Do you want me to get scolded by Bae Sanggung?

“Of course not, my dear. But this is really incredible! Do you know? The Queen will hold selection of prospective Crown Princess in the near future! said Baekhyun vigorously.

Kyungsoo patiently replied, “Then, is there any advantages for us, Baekhyun? That only means we will be busier later on. Come help me prepare this vegetables.”

“Ah, you have no passion for gossiping at all.” Said Baekhyun which nevertheless still helped Kyungsoo eagerly.

Do Kyungsoo could only smile at her friend’s behaviour. Fortunately, no Sanggung so they could avoid punishment for violating Palace’s ethics. As a nain, they’re supposed to keep their behaviour in accordance to the ethics in the Palace, including no gossip.

Yes, Do Kyungsoo and Byun Baekhyun had becoma a Nain at Sojubang at the age of eighteen. Although Baekhyun loves to joke and gossip, she and Kyungsoo are one of the best Nain at Sojubang. They’re tenacious and meticulous in work.

“Kyungsoo, how are your parents? I just received a letter from eomma, she said that appa is getting better.” Asked Baekhyun while washing a lettuce in her hands.

“Ah yes, they also had replied mine. They’re good and apparently appa is trying to plant new seeds to increase this year’s harvest. But they still haven’t been able to free my brother...”

Remembering Seungsoo made her sad. She was still not able to help her brother.

“Cheer up, Do Kyungsoo! Together we can make it!” Baekhyun tried to comfort her friend.

“Yes, we certainly can, Baekhyun-ah. For the sake of our families.”

 


 

FUN FACT(S) :

  • Nain - ordinary court ladies without any rank who did most of the labour work
  • Sojubang - where daily meal preparations took place (most likely a palace kitchen)
  • Sanggung - the highest rank for the court ladies and  acted as supervisors to the other court ladies
  • Appa - father

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE :

Well yeah, i'm going to take it slow. Please don't hesitate to leave comments below and enjoy :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

04/01/15 - Thank you so much, ElatedFangirl for correctiong my mistakes :))