Problems and Opportunities

Lady in The Court

Melodious chirping of birds can be heard on a sunny morning. None of the gray clouds deter the sun from shining on the courtyard. Some of the waiters are busy carrying water containers to the pavilion where they serve. The palace gardener looked busy maintaining the plants in order to maintain their beauty. The pleasant morning weather pep the palace servants to work, as well as the successor to the throne of Joseon.

Kim Jongin, the crown prince of the Joseon started the day by practicing archery with one of the royal guards in the courtyard pavilion belonging to the crown prince. Dressed in the red with a touch of gold war cloak,Kim Jongin looked dashing and charming. At the age of 19, he had mastered various types of martial arts to add to his expertise that would be useful if he ascended the throne later. Archery is just one type of his expertise. Jongin held the bow steadily, then he released the arrow and it stuck right in the middle of the target.

"Jeoha, you are really great. You are always right on target." A royal guard who stood by him praised his skill.

"Chanyeol-ah, how many times do I have to tell you when it’s only the two of us, you can call me by my name only. I do not like it when you call me that." Said Jongin, putting down his bow.

"But, Jeoh-"

"You called me what?"

"I mean, Jongin-ah, I am just a palace guard who is assigned to take care of you. Even though you and I have been friends since childhood, you are a Wang Seja and I should not  be presumptuous of you.” Replied Chanyeol.

"Hyung, you're my only friend in this Palace. The only hyung who would accompany me and listen to all my stories and even my complaints. Please hyung." Jongin asked. It was a rare case that Kim Jongin ask for something, but for this one thing he did not care if he had to beg his only friend.

"Well, Jongin-ah. Only if there are no people around us yeah. But really, your archery ability is increasing." Chanyeol surrendered and replied calmly.

"Ah, hyung, it's also thanks to your teaching." Said Jongin sheepishly. It was true if it is seen from the outside, Kim Jongin is a handsome and tough man, but if he had to speak with the people who he consider close to him, he will show his true nature. Childish and timid.

Both of them continued their archery activities until they saw the Queen and her entourage walking towards them. An Eunuch announced the arrival of the Queen with a loud scream.

"Jungjeon Mama has arrived!"

Queen Yoon has a warm personality and is very fond of his son. Seeing his son grow into a strong and charming man makes her really proud. Kim Jongin is also very fond of her mom this because in addition to his friend, Park Chanyeol, it’s just Queen Yoon who he can rely on. He welcomed the arrival of the Queen warmly. Together with Park Chanyeol, they both gave respect to Queen Yoon who replied with a nod and a beautiful smile.

"Her Majesty, if my presence disturbs you, I can-" Park Chanyeol did not get to finish his words.

"Chanyeol-ah, your presence does not bother me at all. I just wanted to see how my son and I already consider you as my own. Lady Park, your mother has always been my best friend. Relax, Chanyeol-ah." Said Queen Yoon while giving him her motherly smile. She then diverted her attention to her only son.

"Jongin-ah, I see your capability to do archery has increased and Eunuch Jo also reported that your political capability has increased as well. I think it's time for you to look for candidates of Queen consort, son."

"Mother, should I get married this soon?" Asked Kim Jongin.

"A king must have a counterpart, Jongin-ah. You cannot govern the country without a companion by your side. You know what the rules are right, Jongin-ah?"

Kim Jongin can only only listen to his mother’s words. This only has one meaning. Jongin will face an arranged marriage soon which he successfully avoided until this moment. Park Chanyeol, who was standing next to Jongin can only look at his friend with pity. Both Jongin and Chanyeol had this same thought that marriage should be conducted based on love. Arranged marriage is not exactly what they liked. But there was nothing they can do to avoid this palace protocol.

"Yes, mom. I understand. I’ll leave it all to you, mom." Said Jongin in resignation.

"I will choose the best candidates for you and I hope you will accept them later on. All right, I'll go see your father now. Please continue your activities and always remember that i love you, Jongin-ah."

After saying that, Queen Yoon left the Crown Prince’s Pavillion’s yard to see Kim Joonmyeon, The King of Joseon.

"Hyung, I think I'll get married without getting a chance to feel the beauty of love." Said Jongin lethargically to Chanyeol.

"Hey, Jongin-ah. Do not be like that, try to see the candidates chosen by Queen Yoon first. If you still dislike them all, you'll still able to take concubines later!” Park Chanyeol replied while laughing. The formalities between the Crown Prince and his Royal Guard were long gone.

"Ah, you are really very extraordinary,hyung!" Jongin laughed along with his trustworthy Royal Guard.

 

 
   

 

"Yak, Do Kyungsoo!" Shouted Byun Baekhyun which as usual is always yelling to call her best friend.

Do Kyungsoo who at that time spent her spare time to try to sew a handkerchief in the palace kitchen maid pavilion ceased her activity and switched her attention to Baekhyun.

"What happened Baekhyun-ah?" Asked Kyungsoo slowly.

"You're here! Don't you know I have been looking everywhere and it turned out you're here alone," said Baekhyun as she took something from her Chima’s pocket, “Here,read it. I got it from Bae Sanggung."

"Eh? What is this?"

Baekhyun answered Kyungsoo’s question, "It’s an announcement from the Queen’s Pavillion, Kyungsoo-ah. In two days, the palace will hold a promotion test for Palace’s Nain and we are also going to take that."

"What? Within two days? Are you sure?" Asked Kyungsoo in disbelief.

"Duh are you kidding? You do not believe me, Byun Baekhyun, your beloved friend? You know what that means, Kyungsoo-ah?” asked Baekhyun excitedly.

Do Kyungsoo simply shook her head responding to the questions uttered by Baekhyun. Baekhyun after seeing it could only groan in frustration.

"Kyungsoo yaaaa, that means we can be promoted to a higher position if we pass the that test!" Shouted Baekhyun vigorously.

Do Kyungsoo's eyes widened when she heard her friend’s words. Her heart-shaped lips quivered because of surprise. Unexpectedly, the opportunity to achieve a better position in the palace finally arrived. Better position means the chance to free Do Seungsoo from slavery will be even greater.

"Is It true? Byun Baekhyun, you're not lying, right?" Do Kyungsoo still cannot believe even though she had read the announcement given by Baekhyun earlier. The handkerchief was long-forgotten and is just lying on the floor of the Palace Kitchen Pavilion.

"I got that announcement from Bae Sanggung. You think she would fabricate such an important announcement?" Said Baekhyun looking in disbelief at Do Kyungsoo and seized the announcement from Kyungsoo’s hands and spread it out in front of her friend’s eyes.

"Oh well Baekhyun-ah. I trust you. You're my best friend after all!" Answered Kyungsoo laughing at Baekhyun's behavior who seemed so desperate to explain everything to her.

"Come on, what are you waiting for? Let's go to the palace kitchen, we have to practice all the recipes there, forget your handkerchief for a moment and just continue it after we finished practicing." Baekhyun told Kyungsoo while pulling her hand.

"All right let's go!" Kyungsoo voluntarily followed wherever Baekhyun pulls her.

The two friends were like sisters. Inseparable and are always supporting each other. Both of them have the same thoughts. As long as they have each other, none of the obstacles stop them.

But who knows? This promotion test could be the beginning of a steep path that may be faced by the two friends in the palace.

 

 


 

FUN FACTS :

Wang Seja - heir to the throne, the eldest son was given the rights to his brothers, with the shortened title seja (世子 세자; Prince Successor) with formalities jeoha (邸 下 저하; Majesty).

Hyung - is a word used by korean males to adress another male older than them who they are close to. Hyung literally means "older brother".

Jungjeon Mama - designations formalities for Queen at the Palace

Nain - palace servant

Sanggung - the highest rank for the court ladies.

Chima -  is a type of skirt worn together with jeogori, or a short jacket in hanbok.


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE :

04/01/15 Lame chapter, unbetaed, i'm sorry. Also, i would express my gratitude towards everyone who are willing to read my crappy story, thank you so much! oh, and i don't bite so please don't hesitate to leave any comment or critics or suggestion or anything below. Until the next chapter, bye! :)

20/02/15 Edited, revised and betaed by my super kind and patient beta, THANK YOU!