Prologue

Lady in The Court

A girl with beautifully braided black hair was strolling down the street of the capital of Joseon slowly. Every steps that she makes looks very heavy, very contrasting to the hustle and bustle of the city. She is only 15 yet she looked like she bears a heavy burden on her shoulder. In her hands is a sheet of announcement that she got from someone when she went to the market earlier.

She kept on walking slowly until she reached her destination. A very modest home down stood the street. Its walls are made of simple materials that looks like if the wind storm attacks Joseon, they will tumble down.

As she walked closer to her home, there was something different happening on her yard. Three members of her family are kneeling before a man who looks like a local yangban. They were all surrounded by nobleman’s subordinates, seeming like gangsters. The girl is aware of the bizzare events that are happening before her as she decided to hold her pace and watch from behind the fence wall.

“Mr.Do, you surely are aware that your debts are piling up as high as mount Taebaeksan,right? I should have received your payment last month! But I didn’t get any of it!” he shouted right in front of Mr.Do’s face.

“I... I am sorry, Sir... the weather is currently not good, therefore we can’t produce anything as good as usual. I promise I will pay it all as soon as I get enough money, Sir, i beg you...” Mr.Do was trying to explain the difficulties that he had faced and was hoping for a remission. But it seems that there isn’t any slight pity felt by the nobleman.

“You always say that! You are a man but you couldn’t hold your own words!” The yangban turned his attention towards Do’s son. “You! Come with me until your father pays all his debts!” he said while pointing at the young man. The yangban’s subordinates came forward and pulled Do Seungsoo into their hold.

“No! Please don’t take my Seungsoo away from me! He’s my only son! I beg you please!” Mrs.Do was screaming hysterically while trying to grab Seungsoo into her arms. Too shocked, Mr.Do wasn't able to say anything. He just stared at the nobleman, his eyes asking for some leniency.

“Eomma, i’m okay. Really. Let me be his slave as long as it can ease our family debts. I’m okay eomma, don’t be sad.” Do Seungsoo was trying to calm his mother but deep down inside his heart, he also felt difficult to leave his family.

If  I go, who is going to help father to grow crops? 

However, this decision and his sacrifice maybe the best for their family. They could postpone the repayment period.

The nobleman then spoke for the last time, “I'll give you more time to pay off your debts and until that happens, your beloved son will be my slave. It’s simple, the sooner you pay, the sooner your son will be back to you.” Then he ordered his entire subordinates to leave the scene. Mr and Mrs Do couldn’t do anything but let them go along with their son.

Do Kyungsoo saw it all with her own eyes. When the yangban’s entourage walked out and passed her, her brother looked at her wistfully. Do Seungsoo looked like he’s trying to pass a message through his eyes and smiled.

“Take a good care of our parents and yourself, Kyungsoo-ah. I’ll be fine.”

As if understanding the message from her brother, tears fell down from her beautiful eyes. At young age, she already was forced to be separated with her older brother who has always protected her from the evilness of the world. She then remembered than she held a piece of paper that might help her problem.

 

 

Announcement

 

The Palace will once again open its doors to anyone who aspires to become servants of the Palace. Applicants must be a girl aged 14 to 18 years old to be able to join the Palace Servants entrance examination. The examination will be held one week after this announcement issuance at the Palace’s Hall.

 

Personnel Department – Ijo

 

 

Inside her heart, she decided to try the exam later in hopes of easing the burden of her family and to be able to free her brother whom she cared about as soon as possible. Do Kyungsoo then ran to her parents who are still kneeling in their yard and they all hugged each other to chase the pain away.

 


 

FUN FACT(S) :

  • Yangban - The yangban were part of the traditional ruling class or nobles of dynastic Korea during the Joseon Dynasty. The yangban were mainly composed of civil servants and military officers.
  • Eomma - mom.
  • Ijo - Department of Personnel ( Ijo , 이조 ,吏 曹) - especially in regard to the appointment of officials.

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE :

Well, hello again dear readers! i decided to rewrite my story and i will take a slow pace this time. I hope i did a better job because i feel more satisfied with the result. This is just a prologue though i wrote it longer than before (i guess? no?)

Last but not least, feel free to drop any comments or suggestions below. Thank you and enjoy :)

P.S : i received a big help from ElatedFangirl, thank youuuuuuu!